Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Olympic Winter Games

Poster: A snowHead
Please, just hear me out before im shot down in flames!!!

Ive been thinking about this for a while now. Does anyone else think that Scotland should be considered for hosting a Winter Olypic Games?

There are lots of plus points to consider

* Great transport links already in place. Roads are pretty good from the Central belt heading North, plus lots of Airports to fly into from Inverness, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow. There are also very good rail links from the South meaning access would be pretty straight forward

*Scenery - some of the most beautiful scenery in the World, and would be a great place to stage the biggest Winter event.

* Basics are already there. Some great ski areas are already in place, which could be built on and improved with the success the games bring. Scottish skiing could do with a boost, and the games would cetainly improve things up there with better facilities all round.

*After the games had finished, there would be a group of world class resorts with great facilities for the public to benefit from.

*Maybe have a split Olympics where events are held at a few different locations. Cairngorm, Glencoe and Nevis are the obvious choices, but Glenshee would certainly be considered for some events.

Snow is obviously going to be the biggest draw back, and to have a Winter Olympics, you need a lot of Snow. I watched a skiing event in the centre of Moscow a few weeks back which was in a purpose built arena. If the Russians can pull it off, surely Scotland can do? Yes a lot of man made snow would be needed but i dont really see that as a huge issue. There is ample water suplies up there to make the snow already if it was needed.

Just interested with everyones thoughts on this, and wouldnt it be great to see the Winter Olympics here in the UK?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It costs a huge amount to host a games, so it would be down to where the money would come from before any practical reasons.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Troll 1/10
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hammerite, Granted it cost a huge amount of money, so did the Summer Olpmpics held in London, and that was classed as a success.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TheGeneralist wrote:
Troll 1/10

Why am i a troll??? Its a serious question that im putting out there and interested in peoples thoughts. Yes it would take a lot of planning, but so did the summer olympics.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ricklovesthepowder, the Summer Games is inclusive for practically the whole world, the Winter Games is pretty niche by comparison and so can't really be compared. I'd love to see it happen though.

TheGeneralist, Rick isn't trolling, it's a decent question.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
...Summer Olpmpics held in London, and that was classed as a success.
By who? Those responsible for blowing £9billion? There's very little evidence in London that an Olympics was ever there (apart from WHU's new ground). And I'm not buying the whole legacy thing - an increase in participation in various sports that could have been achieved at a fraction of the cost.

Anyway, hopefully they'll let you watch the Scottish Winter Games in your padded cell snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm sure Scotland would do a fantastic job of hosting many of the events in the winter olympics: curling, skating etc, but I suspect the lack of vertical on the hills and the questions over snow reliability would stump any chances.

Nice idea though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No downhill course and no obvious place for one. No toboggan courses and no prospect of being able to build one, as well as the unpredictable weather Lack of infrastructure, lack of exisiting facilities.
The list goes on. I think trolling is a reasonable phrase, though nice to think about for five miutes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

You could base it in Stoneybridge...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beequin wrote:
No downhill course and no obvious place for one. No toboggan courses and no prospect of being able to build one, as well as the unpredictable weather Lack of infrastructure, lack of exisiting facilities.
The list goes on. I think trolling is a reasonable phrase, though nice to think about for five miutes.

1) Build a downhill course. What about at Glencoe?
2) Build a toboggan course, there are lots of potential areas for one to be put im sure
3) Lack of infrastructure??? How well developed was Sochi before the games were awarded to Russia?

Ive alreadfy said that the weatehr is the biggest issue, but that can be aided with snow machines etc? There is lots of water up there to use to help with the snow building issue.

Yes this would take a hell of a lot of planning etc, but so does every major sporting event in the world.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A downhill course needs a vertical drop of 800m (exceptionally 750m). It may be possible but not easy. The toboggan course even more problematic. Plus two or three new ice rinks, etc. etc. I just think there is too much stacked against it - too risky for the IOC to approve anyway.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beequin, I dont get this that to many things would need building. How many of the facilities were in place before London, or any Olympics for that matter? Everything pretty much is built from scratch. Some facilities are on place, but most are purpose built.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Could have medal ceremonies in the car park outside the Doo Below and then all go inside and get pished. Medals could be deep-fried Mars Bar shaped. OK, I can see it working now.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller, Just out of interest, does your constant negativity stretch to Sochi and other events as well or just the Scottish idea. Yes its different but it could be brilliant.

Who ever thought that a world cup in Qatar would ever happen??? Summer temps of 50c+ and playing football?
snow report
I don't think the temperature had much to do with the Qatar decision.
ski holidays
It was seriously proposed in the 1960s that the new ski resort at Cairngorm / Aviemore could potentially one day host the winter games...
For some strange reason the "crazy idea" never got much further than that wink
latest report
tiffin wrote:
I don't think the temperature had much to do with the Qatar decision.

Im just making the point, that if the world premier football competition can be held in Qatar in the summer, then i dont see why the Winter Olympics being held in Scotland during winter seem to be such a crazy idea.
snow report
what's the vertical in Pyeongchang/Alpensia for the 2018 games? (not trolling, genuine question)
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, Because Scotland can't afford the bribe.
snow conditions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungbong has the answer to the Korea vertical question I asked.
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, But why couldnt it host them??? Ive just done some research and Pyeongchang 700 m - 1438 m (South Korea) is hosting the event in 2018. The highest Point around is about 150m higher than the top of cairngorm etc. Yes its a crazy idea on the surface, but when you look into this in more detail, and i have done over the past few weeks, then i honestly dont see any idea, why it wouldnt work.
snow report
I suppose in a fantasy world the Games would be hosted at Inverness or Aberdeen with the skiing/sliding events held elsewhere.
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, I think you might be confusing reality for negativity. I have lived and worked on Cairngorm, skied the other areas, love the place, but even St Moritz/Davos have pulled out of bidding for 2022 - that's right, the Swiss don't think they can afford it. Sochi in 2014 and Korea in 2018 have significantly upped the stakes and future successful bids will be on a scale that Scotland just can't match financially or from many other angles.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, Could it be Done - Yes

Would the cost of doing it be worth it - Maybe?

Biggest concern - Weather, not the lack of snow but the wind!!

I dont think it is a silly or fantasy idea but it would require a lot of will from those concerned to make it work, and then you would have to build, Bobsled run, 3 ice rinks, Ski Jumps, Biathlon/Cross country centre and course.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder, I think you might be confusing reality for negativity. I have lived and worked on Cairngorm, skied the other areas, love the place, but even St Moritz/Davos have pulled out of bidding for 2022 - that's right, the Swiss don't think they can afford it. Sochi in 2014 and Korea in 2018 have significantly upped the stakes and future successful bids will be on a scale that Scotland just can't match financially or from many other angles.

The same was said after Beijing in 2008. Everyone will have to up the stakes blah blah blah. London cost around 1/3 of what Beijing did and was just as, if not more successfull. It would cost a lot of money and hard work, but with major sponsorship i think it would be worthwhile at least investigating the possibility of the Games in Scotland. Donald Trump is currently ploughing millions into a golfing complex, maybe he would consider something to help out in the Highlands. He is one of many that could help and supprot such a plan. Without asking the question, you simply never know.
snow report
Bode Swiller, is that what all the anti Annecy 2018 posters/stickers were about, locals thinking it was too expensive to host and therefore protesting?
snow conditions
Fattes13 wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder, Could it be Done - Yes

Would the cost of doing it be worth it - Maybe?

Biggest concern - Weather, not the lack of snow but the wind!!

I dont think it is a silly or fantasy idea but it would require a lot of will from those concerned to make it work, and then you would have to build, Bobsled run, 3 ice rinks, Ski Jumps, Biathlon/Cross country centre and course.

I agree with what your saying, but there are places to do cross country up there already. For the Biathalon, there is endless possibilites to host the event. The ice rinks would need to be built, but could Glasgow not be used as a compromise, does Edinburgh have one also? What about Inverness for some of the facilities to be based?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hammerite, Glasgow /Edinburgh would have to be the host cities which may obviate the need to build one ice rink and I am sure it would be something of a relief to the IOC if the games were brought back to earth, but... .

P.S. Most of the anti-Annecy protests were against environment despoilation.
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, OK, well I wish you luck. A lot can change in the enormous lead time - it's in Asia for 2018, so 2022 will either be North America or Europe, 2026 will probably go to whichever didn't get it in 2022, in 2030 it'll probably be back in Asia, so you might be bidding for 2034, 2038 or 2042 (depending on whether Qatar, Australasia or South America fancies a go). I will probably have lost interest by then. A starting point would be to aim for hosting ANY recognised wintersports event, like a World Cup slalom or ice dancing or suchlike.
ski holidays
beequin, why would it need to be Glasgow or Edinburgh? Both Aberdeen and Inverness have ice rinks already. Aberdeen seems a prime possibility given the oil industry based there.
ski holidays
The weather is the main problem, Scotland is not really somewhere it is advisable to book in advance to ski - there may be almost no snow and what there is may be wind blasted by higher winds than they generally get in the Alps - which is why pistes are mostly edged with fences. For example last year in March which normally has the most snow depth, when we planned a snowheads bash, there was no snow. This can happen earlier in the season too.
And it would be very difficult, as has been said, to fit in a Downhill course. Normally, when there is snow, the snow-line is at 600 metres which leaves about 600 maximum for the course (I'm not sure about the length requirement either).
At Cairngorm lifts have not been permitted at the top of the mountain for environmental reasons and environmentalist contest even the uplift there is. For example in summer people are not permitted to go up the funicular and the walk around at the top - they have to stay in the lift station.

Look at See http://www.nevisrange.co.uk/history.asp. about the developement of Nevis ski area to see how long these things take up there.
snow report
Why not have a joint bid with Norway? They could host most of the skiing, ski jumping and cross country. Scotland could then host the skating, ice hockey, bob sled, luge etc and whatever ski/snowboard events that don't require much vertical. ie. halfpipe, skiercross etc. The transport links between both countries are quite good and if we're looking at another 20 years before we can host it then that would give us plenty of time to get the infrastructure in place. (I'm thinking mainly of geting the A9 duelled!)
snow conditions
Burnsy, you mean that Norway, one of, if not the, richest places on Earth (per capita) with all that lovely snow and mountains and a track record of running what most consider to have been one of the best Winter Games ever (Lillehammer). Do they need Scotland? I don't think so.

Quote:

I'm thinking mainly of geting the A9 duelled!

How about a tram, a tram from say Edinburgh Airport would be nice. Oh, hang on a mo...

I think better to invent The Commonwealth Winter Games. Much more fun and more likely to happen in Scotland.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
I think better to invent The Commonwealth Winter Games. Much more fun and more likely to happen in Scotland.

Just what I was thinking! Might win a few medals at that too Cool .
snow conditions
Have I just entered a parallel universe?
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, I like it. Even if you had to have a joint event with someone like Norway, I am sure it could easily be done. A Northern European Games, for example. Have whatever skiing events you can in Scotland (the moguls, half pipe, that kind of stuff) and the big downhill stuff goes to Norway or other Scandinavian country. Opening and closing ceremony in Scotland, who bears the brunt of a lot of the cost, but gets more events as a result.

Could easily be expanded to have ice skating and other similar events in purpose built venues around the Scottish ski resorts - seems ideal for them because when the weather turns you can't ski. Gives tourists like me a reason to go there, knowing even if the weather goes we can have a nice long weekend away.

The cost of putting it on doesn't need to be anywhere close to the cost of the summer games in London. Blimey, they built an entire high speed rail line to the park (very successfully) but also spent millions on all kinds of things that they chose to do in order to make it the event it was. But it didn't need all of that to get people into it, and I don't think you need all of that to have a successful Winter Olympics in Scotland.

What they would need is a massive number of hotel beds that they don't really have right now. So they'd need to build an Olympic Village of sorts. In London there was no concern over what would happen to that after the event, but last time I looked property prices in the highlands weren't exactly sky high due to a shortage of demand.

But I like it. We can all find 100 reasons not to do anything. But they managed a Winter Olympics with almost no snow only a few years ago, and with a few years of planning and a decent bit of investment it could be a great thing.
snow conditions
Quote:

What they would need is a massive number of hotel beds that they don't really have right now. So they'd need to build an Olympic Village of sorts.

That is why you need the base in Edinburgh /Glasgow.
ski holidays
Mistress Panda, Praise the lord, someone with something positive to contribute!!! Yes it would be difficult, yes it would cost a lot of money, yes people would object etc etc. But in the whole it would be a great thing to have here in the UK. As youve said, cost wise it wouldnt need to be anything like as high as London for the Olympics. Take Sochi for example, they are building a purpose built Island to house athletes for gods sake!!!. Scotland wouldnt need to go to any sort of the lenght's of Sochi. I think this would be a great thing for the Uk, as well as raising the profile of Winter Sports in the UK. Isnt that one of the goals of the Olympic games, taking it to areas to develop the sport and get greater numbers to participate?
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, You're right, it is easy to be negative about this idea. But..... there really are too many things to be negative about. The issue isn't that Scotland and 'rump UK' are short of people interested in winter sports. We're all fanatical about it, so what would be the possible benefit of having the games in Scotland? Scotland doesn't have the mountains, the snow, the weather, the infrastructure, the money, the accommodation, etc.. You could use games money to build the best resort in Europe and people still wouldn't come.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy