Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best sunglass lenses for ski and normal summer wear

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Off to kronplatz (again Very Happy ) on the 23rd and want to get some sunglasses before I go, that I can change lenses on. I have a set of Oakley A frame goggles with a persimmon lens in. I realise the cheapest option would be to get a replacement lens for them, but I also need to buy some sunglasses for summer so think it would be cheaper to get a pair that I can double up for skiing.

I wear contact lenses when skiing and would like a pair that would be suitable for this. None of the sites (surprisingly) say much about this.

I like the Oakley Half Jackets and was wondering if anyone had any experience of them. And also what lenses would be suitable for skiing on sunny days, and when the light gets a bit flat?

For the sunny days I was looking at Black Iridium, or the Fire Iridium, but cant seem to decide on a lens that would be good for flat/cloudy/medium light. The black or Fires would be good for summer hols as well, but again, not sure what would be a decent set of second lenses for the summer.

Also, are polarised lenses worth getting? Lots off opinions on whether they are good for you or not which is a bit worrying.

Any recommendations/experiences appreciated.

Oh, one last thing - does anyone have any experience of bartering with sites about changing lens options for various frame colours. Or are they all set in stone that if you want say, silver half jackets then you have to take the Blue Iridium (or whatever) they come with.

Cheers

Billy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I like FullSensations glasses, polarised, fully protective uv and exceptionally light; their main claim to fame is they are photoreactive so much so they are almost clear for night skiing, good for driving and street and will take skiing sunlight up to glacier. At £65 they are good value for money.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blert596, don't get that cheap Oakley rubbish. What you need are some nice Vuarnet sunglasses with skilynx lenses. Reasonably good for lowlight, as they have a slight yellow tint that helps to improve contrast.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
blert596, I use half jackets for skiing and also wear contacts without problem. Fire Iridium lens is good in bright light, okish in dull light but not in total flat light.Gold Iridium is good in sun and low light, if you can get them. I've got a set of Hi Yellow lens for flat light. You can also get a persimmon lens for them that would work too in flat light. There used to be a 2 or 3 lens set available but not sure if it still is.

There are some sites that do them as a custom pair, where you can pick the frame/lens etc and add a 2nd lens if you wish.

Never bothered with polarised so cant really comment. Never had a problerm with Oakley and have sent many pairs back for free replacement parts ( apart from lenses ) so happy with their customer service.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blert596, Without a doubt Persol sunglasses with the Green Polarised lens. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Polarised black iridium are great for sunny days in both winter and summer. I also have persimmon polarised lenses for flat light days and I wear them in both flak jacket and half jacket frames as the lenses will fit in either. I cannot recommend them too highly. I bought a replacement frame on eBay for £60 new and unused earlier this year as I lost my old livestrong pair.
My lenses are prescription and these can be ordered separately but they are not cheap!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy