Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Very urgent ski boot advice required

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm in Whistler at the moment and went into a shop today to get some foam injected liners. I have a pair of Technical Diablo's which are about seven years old and the liners have now packed out , meaning myfoot slides right to the front. I've been very reluctant to change anything as they were fitted at Profeet and have been great as have been the custom footbeds that they made.

Anyway I went in today and the guy advised that I may benefit from new shells. I've done about 20 weeks in these and I think they're still ok. The guy said that the angle of the boot is now much less given the advances in skis and I'd benefit from that.

What I want to know is whether this is just bootfitter chat, designed to get me to spend more or is there actually truth in what he says? Or should I just get new liners in my old boots.

I've got an appointment tomorrow so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jack
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know, seven years seems a little old, but really doing no more than giving you a bump so it stays on the front page longer.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The general boot trend is towards more upright lean angles which are less tiring and work well in conjunction with rockered skis so its not all BS. Boot lasts, materials and fit have moved on considerably too. I changed out of 26 ski week old Diablos to Salomon Impact Custom Shells a couple of seasons ago and the Salomons are a way better boot. Now there is the X Max range which is better still with a full Custom Shell at a 'normal' boot price. I don't see the need to pay Profeet's prices with what's now available as a standard fit elsewhere.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jumping Jack Flash, interesting wot Raceplate says. I wouldn't spend the increment to get something that works well with rockers.

Less tiring? Maybe, but equally, unless you found your Diablos tiring (difficult to gauge, eh?) I wouldn't be too fussed.

That said, I had new liners fitted to (coincidentally) Tecnicas some years ago, and wished I'd actually just bought a properly fitted new boot. The Tecnica shell was just all wrong for my feet. Which was a shame, as I liked the orange and black tigerrr look.

It may be a case of what appears to be blatant unnecessary upselling is not such. But it doesn't sound as if your liners are shot.

Second opinion?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
7 year old boot, 20 weeks .... if it were a zip fit liner that you could move to another shell then i would do it, with a foam which is ideally fixed to being used in the shell it is injected in, i would go new boot every time

what shop you been at, there are good and bad in whistler
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM - the shop is Surefeet in the village. Liners are $600! New boots $500 with orthotics but I definitely don't want those as mine are fine.

The wife's getting the full set but I'm just not sure about a new shell given the old "if it's not broke" maxim.

What do you think?

Cheers

Jack
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM- just one other point. All their shells are without liners I.e they all have a generic Surefeet liner inserted, meaning that they could go in my Tecnica's. that said, will the shell,s be ok for another five years. If not I'd have to replace both anyway.

I am a bit (lot) of a gear junkie (pick up new Prior DB3's today) but I do know that comfort is paramount so want to make sure that I do the right thing by my feet not the right thing for my habit!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
try Fanatyco, Canski or Mcgoos before you pull the trigger

i would go new shell as well as liner, unlikely they will let you away without buying their insert, worth having a chat with some of the guys above first
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brian Campbell at TopShelf (opposite corner of the block to FanatykCo) does a similar thing to Sorefoot (shell, foam liner, footbed) so he is worth asking.

He will probably tell you:

- A good fitting foam liner will last 400-500+ days and will quite possibly outlive your shell. So it might make sense to get a new one at the same time.
- Using a foam liner to compensate for a poor fitting shell is not a good idea, like pouring concrete into a bucket.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM wrote:
try Fanatyco, Canski or Mcgoos before you pull the trigger

i would go new shell as well as liner, unlikely they will let you away without buying their insert, worth having a chat with some of the guys above first

Or Erin in snowcovers/ski and bikes...

Brian in Topshelf is doing mine (as recommended by Kenny, very good bootfitter); he's been doing them since about November so might not be quite so good for a holiday visit Madeye-Smiley, but certainly for good advice on what to do/where to go if nothing else.

Kenny wrote:
like pouring concrete into a bucket.

Kenny,
Did Brian actually put concrete in your boots? Would explain a lot wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kenny,
Quote:

- A good fitting foam liner will last 400-500+ days and will quite possibly outlive your shell. So it might make sense to get a new one at the same time.
- Using a foam liner to compensate for a poor fitting shell is not a good idea, like pouring concrete into a bucket.

This is probably the best thing written about ski boots on this site ever.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stuarth wrote:

Brian in Topshelf is doing mine (as recommended by Kenny

Since when do you listen to me? You wouldn't be on those whiteplanks if you did Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks a lot for the advice. The boots are actually $700! But I certainly need new liners and in light of the above am leaning towards buying both. My wife has been out in hers today and says that they're perfect. That said, she's not 15 st with duck feet!

Looks like another big spend coming up!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy