Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valluga to Zurs, how tough is it?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm heading to St. Anton and the end of the month and considering hiring a guide and taking the Valluga to Zurs route (I believe there are 2 routes). Some reports make it sound like missing a turn in the wrong place takes you over a cliff and there are 50 degree chutes. Others say it is great fun but not all that challenging.

People who have done it, how tough is it? Is one route more difficult than the other.

I've done guided off piste in Zermatt, Val D'Isere and Chile. I can ski steeps and chutes and pretty much anything on offer in bounds. The one caveat is that I'm not an expert powder skier and most of the powder skiing have have done is on the equivalent of blue or red runs rather than really steep runs.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chraya,

General info here .....
http://www.skiadventure.eu/2011/try-valluga/

A few clips, it's very much dependent on the conditions. It can get very rutted so catching an edge and sliding could take you over the side.

http://youtube.com/v/pl23cdnM4ZY

http://youtube.com/v/7qtOfEeYX3k

http://youtube.com/v/yLLr7WR8LJg
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chraya, It's on my list of things to ski, my wife did it last year, they didn't say anything about it being too sketchy, there is a double back traverse on the video they shot here which seemed the steepest bit, then it seemed to open up. The Valluga bit is from 1m 20 onwards

http://youtube.com/v/cO7mVjgG8X8

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 11-03-13 16:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here are the two main routes (North and West). I don't remember there being a massive difference in the two ruotes other than that the West route gets you out of the no fall zone earlier.

http://www.pistetopowder.com/snowreportandskiroutes/valluga-north-face-stanton/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends on conditions. I did it for the first time the other week, and was quite surprised how scary I found it. Hard wind-scoured snow, rutted icy entrance, flat light, high wind, above a cliff you don't want to fall off. The fact I was on 118mm rockered skis that have had their edge sharpened once in 3 seasons didn't help (was supposed to be warm with soft spring snow, but the clouds blew in around 10am so we were left with a tricky refreeze crust from the day before), but there is also quite a lot of exposure (I don't deal well with that - I often get nervous just stepping onto escalators!) as you're on the highest mountain in the area. I've skied steeper, more technical and more challenging things, but generally in couloirs with a lot less exposure, and so much easier for me to deal with mentally.

That said, it's not that hard. The first pitch is about 40º, mellowing to 35ºish after. It's fairly open and you have plenty of room to maneuvre, just don't blow a turn in the entrance/first section... With powder and good light, it wouldn't be a particularly big deal at all.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 11-03-13 20:25; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The clip posted by DB, shows the start. The clip posted by kitenski, is just a bit later.

I did it in January with the conditions slightly more skied out that on DB's clips. I am not keen on exposure myself but it is not too bad, although in flat light and windy conditions I am sure it would feel more daunting. The first turn is the slightly tricky one, but as shown you can sort of clamber round it as the video shows. You can then slide slip forward the next thirty metres or so after which I felt perfectly comfortable. The next section was pretty steep but with good grippy snow it was enjoyable and if I had fallen I felt I could have easily stopped myself.

The lower stretches are a lot gentler so I would say that in some respects there are better off piste runs, however as you need a guide to go there and the top cable cabin only takes five people at a time, you are likely to find that your group has the valley to themselves which is part of the appeal for me.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's also possible to ski that run in one of the top ski school groups, which is the only time I've done it. These groups are off-piste all day, with instructors qualified to work like guides - so the prices are great value. The standard of skiing in the highest classes is pretty-much instructor level.

As richjp says, it's a quick thrill, but a good one ... and the whole experience of going up in the exclusive little cablecar makes it a classic 'must do'.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting thread, I'd like to know too. Could anyone compare to any well-known routes in France where I have more familiarity? Eg Spatule ( Val dIsere), or Face Nord de Bellecote , or pas du chevre?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here's an old thread on the Valluga

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20253

I must have skied it 3 or 4 times now.

Found another clip which looks to be the second part of the first clip I posted (pretty sure that is Franz from Piste to Powder).

http://youtube.com/v/hiZso5Lk1ms

I've seen people using the bridge on the south face - not sure if this is the access if you skin up or the escape route down when the north face is bad (or both)

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Comedy Goldsmith, those instructors are also guides (not allowed to take skis up the lift if not with a guide). Many Austrian Staatliche instructors go on to become a Bergfuehrer (UIAGM guide) too, then combine guiding and teaching work.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice trip report here which includes the bootup to the Valluga over the bridge .....

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74877&highlight=pistetopowder
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
patricksh,

I have skied the routes you mentioned in your post. I have also skied the Valluga variations lots of times, with Piste to Powder guides, so I can give you my own limited comparisons. The first part of the Valluga North Face can be scraped, hard and with moguls. You have lots of space so can side slip or turn depending on the snow conditions. This was the only really exposed part I skied, but it did not make me feel too uncomfortable. After that it has often been really enjoyable lovely powder skiing - with quite a few flat bits. I have also skied the bridge couloir a couple of times which is quite steep but it did not feel exposed, it then joins into the west face route. The Face nord de Bellecote and the Pas du Chevre felt much, much bigger. I have never managed to ski Les Spatule in fresh powder, but I have skied it plenty of times. The Valluga feels far more out of the way and bigger than Les Spatule, which felt quite small to me. These are just my opinions though. I reckon the Valluga is a bit of a 'Trophy' run, there is so much superb off-piste/backcountry skiing in Arlberg.

I hope this helps.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy