Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen Grindelwald Muren area acomadation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Folks

Looking at a walking holiday in the area sometime in June
Anyone any recommendations for cheapish accommodation? B&B or half board (cheapish by Swiss standards anyway)
Doesn't need to be in a particular village as long as it can be accessed by public transport
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just been looking myself for Easter, and came across some nice stuff on http://www.fewo-direkt.de.

It is the same as home away, but the fewo site seems to have much more on offer, then if something looks interesting price / picture wise, I copy and paste into google.translate.

And then I found a couple of interesting things on this site:

http://www.grether-reisen.de/schweiz/ferienhaus-jungfrauregion/

And then the main tourist site for each area has a lot to offer..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Garfield, You could stay in the pretty village of Wilderswil, see tourist office site. I stayed for a week in Summer there many years ago at the Hotel Alpenblick, but I see it's still run by the same owner and the food was very good. Easy to get to on public transport (1st stop from Interlaken Ost) and one more stop takes you to Zweilutschinen where the rail line splits - one way to Grindelwald and the other to Lauterbrunnen (which gives you access to Wengen and Murren).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.hoteloberland.ch/ in Lauterbrunnen is ok - have stayed there a few times. Generally it'll be cheaper on the valley than up in Wengen or Murren.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Garfield, as said by Alastair Pink, and Elizabeth B, the valley floor will have generally cheaper accommodation, public transport is excellent for the whole area and there is a summer pass that covers different trains and transport systems compared to the winter.

Now some nice trips in the area / walks in the area

Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg (almost flat path very easy walking but great views, watch out for occasional small avalanches from snow above path in deep gullies hidden from sun, I've seen them come down to the path as late as August. Mannlichen down to Grund is an easy path but I prefer the one to Scheidegg if you go up to the Mannlichen walk right to teh Mannlichen Peak for some clasic views of the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau with the Tschugen peak in the foreground.

Eigergletscher down to Wengeneralp via Blackrock - Often good for the wild flowers, then from Wengeneralp walk back down the track to Wengen, Wengen down to Lauterbrunnen is mainly in th eforest, has few views and quite honestly is a bit of a trudge.

In Lauterbrunnen go to the Trummelbach falls, these are the water falls form the melting Glaciers on the front face of the Jungfrau and are inside the mountain, 20,000L of water per second is impressive and well worth the entrance fee.

Murren there's a nice walk from the top of the Lauterbrunnen cable car to the village by the side of the rail line or just take the train, Murren itself well worth a visit as its a very pretty little village as is Wengen.

Schinegge Platte take the little railway up from Wilderswil, pretty alpine garden at the top with great views, you can walk from there all the way over to First and then down to Grindelwald if you like.

At Interlaken Ost you can walk a short distance to the Harder Kulm and take the Funicular up, unusual in that it has a bend in the track, sadly over the years the trees have been allowed to grow so tall they now obstruct many of the views

From Interlaken you can take the Lake Steamers, from Interlaken West the steamers co onto lake Thun, there are no less than 3 castles all open to the public around the lake at Spiez, Thun and Oberhoffen, the one at Thun is a bit of a walk from the steamer landing but the other two are very close, Oberhoffen being right on the lake with a single tower linked by bridge to the main structure actually in the lake itself, I like all 3 as visitor attractions. Oberhoffen also has a nice garden attached, check your steamer times though to make for a good visit.

From Interlaken Ost you can get the steamer on Lake Brienz, there's the Brienzer Rothorn steam driven rack railway, Also Ballenburg open air museum where you can see historic houses brought from all over Switzerland set in a natural landscape (I really enjoyed both my visits there), Brienz itself I seem to recall having many wood carving tourist shops,just up the valley from Brienz is Mieringuen and between there and Grindelwald is the famous Reichenbach falls at Rosenlaui, in the summer I think theres a post coach that runs from Grindelwald to Meiringen with stops at Rosenlaui.

There that ought to keep you busy for a week or so Happy

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 11-03-13 21:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the heads up folks
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.hotel-lauberhorn.ch/sites/spezial-zimmerpreise-d.html

I stayed here recently for a ski trip and it was pretty reasonable for a single room in peak ski season (80 chf). Nice atmosphere and good breakfast. I think it really thrives in summer with mountain bikers and hikers. In a nice position just outside Grindelwald with fab views.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just an update
Ended up staying here http://www.silberhorn.com/index.cfm?tem=1&spr=2&hpn=1 in Lauterbrunen
Not the cheapest but nice sized room and food was good
Walking in the area excellent
We purchased the Berner Oberland Pass for the week that covered all but one lift and the Jungfrau train and was well used for getting about
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Excellent choice Garfield - had I caught the thread earlier would have recommended it and one or two others in Lauterbrunnen.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy