Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Camelback / Bladder best practice

Poster: A snowHead
I have a water bladder system for a rucksack. Used it a couple of times then left it in a drawer.

What is the best way to look after these things in terms of hygiene?

What I'm worried about is stagnant water in the pipe or the bag. I've washed it through with hot water but is that all that should be done or do they need sterilising? If so, what's the best product and/or method?

How do I put it away completely dry in the future?

In other words, if anyone uses one can you tell me how you maintain and use it on a daily/weekly basis so I can avoid getting ill by drinking from it.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnnyh, You can use a sterilising solution - (sterilising tablets dissolved in water). Follow the instructions which usually call for the items to be submerged for at least 30 mins. You can also buy cleaning accessories which consist of narrow flexible brushes which you can insert into the hoses, and a spreader which you put into the bladder to help it open up to dry after cleaning.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 11-03-13 18:37; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnnyh wrote:
if anyone uses one can you tell me how you maintain and use it on a daily/weekly basis so I can avoid getting ill by drinking from it.

The problem comes from filling it with water. If you instead fill it with a fairly strong mixture of water and ethanol, it is naturally self-sterilising.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just use Miltons fluid, made for cleaning babies bottles so perfect for bladders. Cheap too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Remove the bite-valve and wash separately.

Wash the lot thoroughly in Milton.

Then hang up to dry with the filler cap open and the end of a rolled up piece of kitchen towel pushed into the lowest point so it acts like a syphon. This also holds the two sides apart so the water can drain.

OR

Store in freezer between uses.

OR

Just buy a Nalgene bottle instead. Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I hang mine up with a wooden spoon inserted into it so the spoon is turned 90 degrees so it's holding the bladder sides open and as apart as possible. I'll also mop up any water with some kitchen roll. Once it's completely dry, it's fine to store wherever, but leave the cap off so it can breathe.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
what a faff!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Serriadh wrote:
johnnyh wrote:
if anyone uses one can you tell me how you maintain and use it on a daily/weekly basis so I can avoid getting ill by drinking from it.

The problem comes from filling it with water. If you instead fill it with a fairly strong mixture of water and ethanol, it is naturally self-sterilising.

Does that taste better than just tap water though?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rinse out with a Milton solution and store in the freezer. Simples.
snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
self edit.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 10-03-13 23:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Freeze it in between use, don't use anything but water.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:
Freeze it in between use, don't use anything but water.

This.

I have a Camelbak for mountain biking and all I do is blow the water out of the tube back into the bladder, rinse with water after use and freeze it. It does have some nifty little plastic bits to dry it out which get used occasionaly.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 on the freezer route. We don't have any of the drying / cleaning gadgets, we just put the camelbaks in the freezer
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used one years ago for skiing, promptly fell over on it within 5 minutes, and an hour later my son pointed out that I had a frozen waterfall down my back. Hence never needed to clean it... sorry
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Watch out for a potentially fatal fungus which nearly killed a piper Skullie http://www.scotsman.com/news/health/bagpipe-warning-over-threat-of-fatal-fungus-1-2828835
snow report
I can't remember the last time I gave mine a good clean....it's a wonder I'm still alive!

But I do always make sure it is devoid of as much water as I can before chucking it in the cupboard. We have some Miltons left over from our toddler's baby bottle days, maybe I should give it a clean.
snow report
I never clean mine either, if it hasn't been used for awhile just give it a quick suck and don't forget to spit.
ski holidays
Other than a bit of a post-ski hol wash out with washing up liquid, a good rinse and a thorough dry, I never resort to "proper" cleaning either.
snow conditions
Chasseur, I'd have thought your bladder gets a good regular clean out. Toofy Grin
snow report
Thanks - it all seems overly complicated compared to a bottle of water. Will try and clean mine and use the freezer route as that seems less painful than bottle sterilisation.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy