Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

THIS IS SP............sick!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone tried the 300 circuit?

Apparently it's the circuit that the cast of 300 did to get into shape for the film.

25 overhand pullups
50 deadlifts 60Kg
50 pressups
50 two footed jumps onto step
50 floorwipes (lie on floor holding the 60Kg bar above you. Feet to left plate, return to middle and over to right plate = 1 rep)
50 kettlebell raise from floor to full extension 16kg
25 overhand pullups

300 reps in total with as little rest between as you can manage.

It's quite hard Embarassed
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Took me a couple of hours to do it but I look nothing like them so reckon you are making it up.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Apparently it's on t'internet so it can't be wrong.

Took me under half an hour, but I needed to stop during sets.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
"The actors trained for four months prior to the movie being made, with grueling workouts lasting for 2-3 hours a day, five days per week. They were pushed to the limit, with tire flips, jumping, sprints, kettlebells, medicine balls, pull-ups, bear crawls, tuck sits, barbell thrusters and so on.

The “300″ workout gets its name from the total number of repetitions performed through a set of different exercises. Many people believe that this workout should be done daily, something Twight rebuffs. In fact, he says it is done only as a finale – a kind of graduation test – after actors had weight lifted and trained brutally for months to prepare for it.

“300” is a one-time test, an invitation-only challenge undertaken by those deemed ready for it. By the end of our four-month project 17 people had done the workout. This constitutes about 50% of the cast and stunt crew. We supervised every test, evaluated each rep for quality and only counted those that achieved our standards for form and range of motion. Like many workouts “300” is not hard once you’ve done it but the apprehension built up ahead of it – something we encouraged – was enough to make some guys fear it to the degree that performance was compromised. This workout was a crucible that some passed through and others still have hanging over them,” said Twight.

Think about that statement. Even though it’s not supposed to be hard once done, only half the staff, having trained their butts off for four months, completed it. Here is what the 300 regimen looks like:

25 pull-ups
50 deadlifts at 135 pounds
50 push-ups
50 box jumps with a 24-inch box
50 “floor wipers” (a core and shoulders exercise at 135 pounds)
50 “clean and press” at 36 pounds kettlebell (a weight-lifting exercise)
25 more pull-ups
Add the above reps together and you will get a total of 300 reps, which you will have to do in less than 20 minutes."

N.B.: LESS THAN 20 MINUTES
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
... bear crawls...

First read that as 'beer crawls', in which case i'm well ahead of the game...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways, still would take you more than 20 mins!!! In my hay day I could kick bottom on that as a test but sadly the hay day is more than a day trip away. Sad

I think the deadlifts and pushups would prob cause me the most issues, other than getting into the gym kit which would prob be the most difficult.

The one thing that I think would kill people is the requirement to do every rep as good as the first. It's good form but the additional reps are what tend to nuke people who think they could do this sort of test. You really have to train to 120% completed then work on form to 'pass'.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RattytheSnowRat, that would have been impressive to see.

The pullups are meant to be overhand (palm towards you with a slightly wider hold) I think, and caused me most problems. Pushups were actually the easiest.

I'll keep having a go at 'em though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Always entertaining reading about Mark Twight. He is an animal:

Quote:
Gym Jones’ online disclaimer shows an athlete in pain, with the caption: “You were free to choose and you did. Now lie in it.”

I bought his book "Extreme Alpinism" for ideas on training for ski touring and found that even the workout he recommended for getting baseline fitness before starting real training (running uphill for 2 hours) was beyond my commitment! Here's what he has to say to pussy sell-outs like me:

Quote:
What’s your problem? I think I know. You see it in the mirror every morning: temptation and doubt hip to hip inside your head. You know it’s not supposed to be like this. But you drank the Kool-Aid and dressed yourself up in someone else’s life.
You’re haunted because you remember having something more. With each drag of the razor you ask yourself why you wee wee your blood into another man’s cup. Working at the job he offered, your future is between his thumb and forefinger. And the necessary accessories, the proclamations of success you thought gave you stability provide your boss security. Your debt encourages acquiescence, the heavy mortgage makes you polite.
Aren’t you sick of being tempted by an alternative lifestyle, but bound by chains of your own choosing? Of the gnawing doubt that the college graduate, path of least resistance is the right way for you – for ever? Each weekend you prepare for the two weeks each summer when you wake up each day and really ride, or climb; the only imperative being to go to bed tired. When booming thermals shoot you full of juice and your Vario shrieks 7m/sec, you wonder if the lines will pop. The risk pares away life’s trivia. Up there, sucking down the thin cumulus, the earth looks small, the boss even smaller, and you wish it could go on forever. But a wish is all it will ever be.
Because the ground is hard. Monday morning is harsh. You wear the hangover of your weekend rush under a strict and proper suit and tie. You listen to NPR because it’s inoffensive, PFC: Politically F* * *ing Correct. Where’s the counter-cultural righteousness that had you flirting with Bad Religion and the vintage Pistols tape over the weekend? On Monday you eat frozen food and live the homogenized city experience. But Sunday you thought about cutting your hair very short. You wanted a little more volume and wondered how out of place you looked in the Sub Pop Music Store. Flipping through the import section, you didn’t recognize any of the bands. KMFDM? It stands for Kill Mother F* * *ing Depeche Mode. Didn’t you know? How could you not?
Tuesday you look at the face in the mirror again. It stares back, accusing. How can you get by on that one weekly dose? How can you be satisfied by the artifice of these experiences? Why should your words mean anything? They aren’t learned by heart and written in blood. If you cannot grasp the consciousness-altering experience that real mastery of these disciplines proposes, of what value is your participation? The truth is pointless when it is shallow. Do you have the courage to live with the integrity that stabs deep?
Use the mirror to cut to the heart of things and uncover your true self. Use the razor to cut away what you don’t need. The life you want to live has no recipe. Following the recipe got you here in the first place:

Mix one high school diploma with an undergrad degree and a college sweetheart. With a whisk (or a whip) blend two cars, a poorly built house in a cul de sac, and fifty hours a week working for a board that doesn’t give a damn about you. Reproduce once. Then again. Place all ingredients in a rut, or a grave. One is a bit longer than the other. Bake thoroughly until the resulting life is set. Rigid. With no way out. Serve and enjoy.

”You see your face reflected there in a sweating brow, you hate what you see, but what can be done when there’s no way out, no way out?"
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy