Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hand luggage & piste friendly Ski Boot Rucksack

Poster: A snowHead
I'm in the market for a Ski boot rucksack which is hand luggage complaint and also piste friendly. As I understand it for EasyJet hand luggage rules are currently no bigger than 56 x 45 x 25cm and also goes into the airport size checker "with ease".

Ideally I'd like to be able to carry my boots (and helmet if possible) onto the plane as hand luggage then use the rucksack on the slopes for extra layers/spare gloves when I get there, so physically it can't be too big. I've found plenty of ski boot rucksacks but they're generally way too big to use on the slopes afterwards and they're also generally odd (boot) shaped so I'm hoping there's something clever out there that will do both jobs well.

Anyone got something similar or know of something which fits the bill? Any help much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Salomon Go To gear bag. I think it's too big to ski with (it's a 50l pack) unless you are doing a fairly heavy duty tour, but it's the closest to what you want that I've seen.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SiPieFace, if you are a pixie like me (I have Size 5 feet) a Dakine Heli Pro 20L rucksack will JUST take boots, but not a helmet.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pedantica wrote:
SiPieFace, if you are a pixie like me (I have Size 5 feet) a Dakine Heli Pro 20L rucksack will JUST take boots, but not a helmet.

Thanks but I'm UK size 10 Very Happy (29 boots) so will need something a bit bigger.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SiPieFace, ho hum. Toofy Grin Not sure what the next size up Dakine is, but that might work.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why not put your ski boots in your hold luggage and the clothes and stuff in your carry on? That way you don't have to compromise your choice of skiing rucksack. Also a number of airports and air lines don't allow ski boots in hand luggage (My flight was delayed for an hour last week due to a passanger getting a head injury from something heavy and sharp falling out of the locker during boarding). Of course if you book ski carriage with Easyjet you are allowed to check in a seperate boot bag above the weight allowance of your main bag.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use a rucksack that just fits into the handluggage limits, that is big enough to take my boots (size 9) and an empty smaller rucksack for skiing. Empty rucksack takes almost no space, and on some airlines you can take it on separately as your carry-on handbag/laptop bag.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saw this one

http://www.sports-outlet.co.uk/epages/es122229.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122229/Products/224288blkblu

which I think fits the bill.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been looking for a decent one of these for years. They used to do them but the market seems to be very, very limited now. I think the Sallie is the best of the current bunch but it really is limited in some ways. I dont think HelenS,'s suggestion really works, there are a variety of boot bags that let you wear as opposed to carry them which is what that one is. I am seriously contemplating designing and having something made up that should work to my spec. It would include a split zip open face for the boots with a moveable divider so you could shift the top and bottom departments around to change the volume if you needed to, exterior fitments for a collapsible shovel (or my special new design of avi shovels), rigid carbon rod frame that morphs into a probe, ski carry system, about a gazillion compression straps and a pocket for a camelback and tube.

Now why is that so dificult for them to come up with????
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SiPieFace, Ellis Bingham have just knocked £20 off the Salomon Go To gear bag. rob@rar, if it fits in an overhead locker, I think I could risk it as an off piste sac. That said, the statements '50l' and 'fits in an overhead locker' are not often heard together .....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In theory 56x45x25 is 63l Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RattytheSnowRat, yes it fits in an overhead locker. I flew with it on Sunday (with BA) and it carried my boots, a laptop, iPad, a helmet and a few other bits and bobs quite comfortably.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go to gear bag, should be £80, currently £50 here, just ask
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the rocks wrote:
Why not put your ski boots in your hold luggage and the clothes and stuff in your carry on? ...

Hold luggage gets mislaid.

Fly enough and you'll have it happen to you. That's ok, and you'll get your boots back eventually, but if you're in the back of beyond it may take a week to get your gear. You can beg/ borrow/ steal / buy boards and clothes, but boots are harder to replace for many people.

In my experience you're unlikely to lose anything with 1st world scheduled airlines and non-stop flights. Anything involving a transfer dramatically increases your risk. I'd say it's about 1%; not huge, but not unusual.

Note that some scheduled airlines have weight restrictions on hand-baggage, although last time I checked BA did not, but AC do. A pair of hard-shell boots and some decent photographic gear can easily exceed their weight limit. So make it look light and be check-in friendly.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What about having a boot bag for the flight and then putting your rucksack in your hold luggage (with nothing in it shouldn't take up too much space or weigh too much). This way you are not compromising on either
ski holidays
Buy the rucksack that you want for skiing and just get a suitable shopping bag for your carry on. Simples.
ski holidays
Andybag, boot bags don't generally fit 'as is' inside overhead lockers.

altis, the point is: why not have both in one and save yourself wonga, hassle and weight??

My new design idea is to get the avi shovel(s) shaped to act as a back protector with your water sac shaped to fit inside it when it's in the avi sac. And it'll have a proper waist belt with items stored low down to distribute weight better.

And how do you guys feel about a collapsible helmet i.e. one that folds flat for transport but which locks rigid when open (spring loaded)?

Expect to see my sac in the stores next year as a 'one buy' off piste kit, everything for the discrening backwoodsman including rope, first aid kit, front strap mounted flash light and thermal blanket. I'm going to call it the 'AV1 sac'!

CEM, I'll take one for product testing puposes - but you better look at your website - not only is it not clear this is the 'Go to gear' bag, the on-line ordering seems to be screwed up. What colours have you got??
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat, it's not on the website...only wish i had time to update the site as much as i would like to, lots of work to do on that over the summer along with another slightly larger project

colour wise it is the black/white
latest report
Well, the last bag on the site then - there are no pictures so it's hard to tell

Anyway - 'Mine!' - how do you want paying?
latest report
RattytheSnowRat, I've got one of these http://lineskis.com/clothing-accessories/slope-pack-1213 and it fits in fine with the baggage guidelines from Easyjet and Jet2 and in the overhead lockers (this is because the boots are stored differently compared to standard boot bags.

There's a video here:

http://youtube.com/v/L5gtmlY04Zw
ski holidays
Andybag, that NEVER would fit in an overhead locker as packed. Where did you elarn to pack anyway, the Tokyo underground??

That's the logical way to pack boots but my sac will have a seperating padded liner and the boots will go in 'top and bottom' rather than into a single large hole. That way they won't shift around as much. I'm not looking for a bag that doubles up as a piece of hand luggage, there are tons of those. What we need is one that works as a backwoods sac AND can carry boots to the palce one skis
snow report
RattytheSnowRat,

Yeah, exactly what I'm looking for and why I started the thread. It can't be that hard for a product designer to come up with something which covers both uses. The only way I could see it working is for it to be expandable to allow boots and helmet to fit in for the journey then to fold back up (but without looking hideous) for use on the snow because a max sized hand luggage friendly rucksack is actually a whopper, way too big for skiing.

I know this as I've ordered three different takes on max sized hand luggage rucksacks from Amazon (keeping one, send others back) and they are all HUGE but will fit my boots and helmet etc in and still fit in the size checker, I've measured to be sure. All of them were only £20 so I'm going to run with this and take my old 20l rucky for the slopes. Also means more hands free at check in and queuing.
snow report
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
Andybag, that NEVER would fit in an overhead locker as packed. Where did you elarn to pack anyway, the Tokyo underground??

Sorry Ratty but that isn't me, I'm afraid. I was just highlighting how the boots are packed by sharing the line promotional video, obviously your clothes would go in your hold luggage with your skis and the boot bag easily fits in overhead lockers.

Ratty, try one of these for travelling to your ski location http://www.skis.com/Rossignol-Bootie-Transport-Ski-Boot-Bag-2013/227903,default,pd.html
latest report
SiPieFace, I've got your back m8 - next season, just you wait and see. The 'AV1 sac' will rise majestically over the competiton. It won't cost £20 tho' ....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy