Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dupraz Skis - Asymmetric shape for on and off piste

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone had any experience of these skis? http://www.dupraz-skis.com
Have a piste and powder edge and quite a large surface area. A demo pair in a shop here and wondered whether worth a punt and try them?
Any thoughts out there?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
colinstone, Just make sure you get a matched pair Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It sounds like Elan's amphibios tech in a wider powder ski.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skied them on the SIGB test... Interesting ski... was told that I would need to learn how to ski on them again. and I agree.. got on them and felt like a begginer.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
colinstone, hi Colin, I am struggling to understand how the powder, being a bit of an all encompassing medium, would know that you had a powder edge? Or a non powder edge?

Weird.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, +1
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
I am struggling to understand how the powder, being a bit of an all encompassing medium, would know that you had a powder edge? Or a non powder edge?.

I suspect it is more about the skier being keenly aware of having a long radius 'powder edge' when skiing on hardpack. Y'know, all those skiers who want one ski for 50% powder 50% slalom that's at least 110mm in the waist. At least the Bieber and Amphibio have slightly more sensible waist widths for hard snow.

Aside from bashing Dupraz though, there is mileage in a 'powder edge' with very long radius or reverse sidecut. Have a look at the Spatula, Lotus 138 or Praxis Powderboard for example... those are not designs that will ever be pleasant to ski on hardpack even if scaled down to a much skinnier ski, and yet they're entirely reasonable in 3d snow. Have a read of Brain Floss, specifically the 'pool cover' and 'unstable hooker' paragraphs to see what McConkey thought about it...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Serriadh, So are these skis basically reverse sidecut/straight on one edge, with a tight sidecut on the other? I'm struggling to work out what's going on.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It doesn't have any reverse sidecut... I was just pointing out to under a new name that edge designs can make a difference in powder wink

I don't think this design would work with dramatically different sidecuts, anyway. Look at a picture of the design... even the "powder" edge is still a pretty short radius, so I dunno if it really warrants the name. And if dansmith's experience is anything to go by, these are awkward to ski in addition to having a dubious premise.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Serriadh, I thought he was saying that, what with both skis being 'in' the powder, only having one on each ski different wouldn't make much difference.

Which of the Dupraz skis does the OP mean, or do they all have this? Can't work out anything from the website (no French).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Saw a pair on the chairlift next to me this morning - the Happy Ds. Edges were marked "this edge outside for powder" and "this edge outside for piste"
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Serriadh, i really don't think sidecut is terribly important in powder...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, Think its more short turn long turn rather than "off piste" I was told to ski it on the powder edge first to get used to the "concept" and then try the other... It definitely worked... there was a definite difference in the two edges. (the piste edge was pretty much un-skiable in my opinion)

I skied what I was told to on them, next seasons skinnys in a 171 (Normally I don't ski anything below a 190 me and a mate were amazed that the rep insisted on me skiing something so short) it didn't help that the ski was grabbing all over the place and was in need of a tune so don't want to be so harsh on it as I was on the day but I can't say that the ski is for me and I can't really see the point of it in the market.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dansmith, so can you tell us what the difference actually is please?

under a new name, really? I'm not keen on skis with a lot of sidecut in pow, hook up too much (and then when it's crusty the waist sinks too much compared to tip and tail). Straighter the better on anything ungroomed IMO.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
Serriadh, i really don't think sidecut is terribly important in powder...

In the lightest fluffiest powder it won't do you any harm, certainly, but that's also the least common kind of snow to ski in, no?

There's a noticable difference in feel between long radius, tapered powder ski and a short radius long sidecut ski with a more conventional geometry even in perfect powder. I guess you might not notice the waist of the ski sinking if you're on a fat enough pair in the first place, but tips and tails that are noticably fatter than the waist end up being a bit hooky and irritating in nasty, crusty, unfriendly snow or even just plain old heavy settled snow.
snow conditions
Serriadh, ummm, I can see what you're getting at but I think, on first reflection, that you're over complicating things?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
over complicating things?

Er, what? You seem to be using "over complicating" to mean "using anything other than conventional ski geometry and preferring it" Puzzled

I've used both a few different ski shapes, found that some work better, for me, in certain conditions. This is clearly not a subjective experience unique to me.

You might not need, like or want different sorts of equipment, but that doesn't make their use "over complication".
ski holidays
Serriadh, given that I currently have SL, 3 x GS, 2 x off piste and various other skis in my garage, all used according to conditions, preference or degree of day's masochism, I think I am quite capable of complicating aspects of skiing myself...

I just don't see side cut as being an issue in powder!

"the lightest fluffiest powder " - what other sort of powder is there? Puzzled Puzzled snowHead
latest report
colinstone, hi I tries them last year! To be honest if you want a ski to do what they do then ok, if you are a bit more technical then I sit on the fence!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy