Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What next after RX8s ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Go on then, not like me, but an actual ski related post wink

I've had my Fischer RX8s for quite a while now and though I love 'em, wonder if it's time for a change.
I bought them after a ski test at Castleford and they're pretty short (165), maybe a bit too short for me (5'11" & 71kg) but are really turny, great on piste, but not so great if it's fluffy.

My "off"-piste is generally limited to the powdery bits off to the side and to be honest that's quite sufficient, so I'd be looking for something suited mainly to piste skiing but maybe a bit more forgiving when it's softer.

Any thoughts ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thought this was a car thread.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well having seen you ski many times ...... wink

RX8s are very skinny aren't they, 65mm. I would have thought something around 80mm and 170 - 175cm would be a good compromise. Not really aware of what's about in that size range. Do they have to be Fischers? wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Head Titans in 170cm. There's a pair advertised at the moment in the For Sale section.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, I was just going to post exactly the same Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
Head Titans in 170cm. There's a pair advertised at the moment in the For Sale section.

+3, have been very impressed with these in all conditions. Only time I wished for something wider was when I sank up to my waist on them!! Needed a steeper slope and they were ok. Next day it was only about knee deep and they were surprisingly good off piste!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tarquin, Did you like the Rossignol Pursuit 16 you were skiing in Tignes? I liked the 18's and if I was looking for replacement for my "piste ski" they would be on my list .... I've never paid full price for a ski... have a list of a few then see what's available....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Expected jon olsson [img]http://www.giltrap.com/handlers/ImageStream.ashx?width=730&height=411&mode=resizecrop&path=/newsimages/540fa3d0-82c5-40d3-91d1-afed56a6e6c6.jpg[/img]
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Claude B wrote:
Well having seen you ski many times
Sell the RX8s & get a snooker cue? wink

II, to be honest I never felt like I got going on them (Though they seemed fine) due to my short trip and one afternoon where I could see where I was going.

Thanks chaps, gives me some ideas to look round for.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tarquin wrote:
Go on then, not like me, but an actual ski related post wink

I've had my Fischer RX8s for quite a while now and though I love 'em, wonder if it's time for a change... they're pretty short (165), maybe a bit too short for me (5'11" & 71kg) but are really turny, great on piste, but not so great if it's fluffy.

My "off"-piste is generally limited to the powdery bits off to the side and to be honest that's quite sufficient, so I'd be looking for something suited mainly to piste skiing but maybe a bit more forgiving when it's softer.

Any thoughts ?

For a slalom carver which the RX-8 is, 165cm is not too short. That length is exactly what most men on the World Cup are using in slalom and most of these racers are heavier than you and an increasing number are taller than you, as well. Many would go even shorter but the FIS rules prohibit the men from doing so.

How many days do you have on your RX-8's? Fischer skis have a good reputation for durability and should be good for at least 100 days skiing unless the bases and edges are thoroughly trashed or they have been used as a dedicated mogul ski or left to cook in the attic during summers or otherwise chronically exposed to high heat. Depending on their condition, a stonegrind and edge tune may make them feel like new again. In the US, many piste skiers will swear by their RX-8's and bemoan the fact that the RX-8 is no longer in the Fischer line-up. If, on the other hand, you want a ski with less slalom like characteristics, a ski, with a turning radius of 17-21 meters or so may be what you are looking for.

Width, like every thing else about ski design involves compromises. The wider the ski, the further the edge is from the centerline of your foot and the less quick the ski will be from edge to edge. You will also need to generate greater edge angles to have the same holding effect of an narrower waisted ski in similar conditions. This generates more torque which includes demanding more from your knees, hips and lower back. The benefit of going wider is greater float off-piste and being able to achieve such float at slower speeds roughly proportional to the width of the ski. Other design features like rocker, reverse camber, significant early rise, and such enhance the float characteristic and can assist with turn initiation.

In the end, it really comes down to the type of skiing you like to do or would like to do or whether you are looking simply looking for a different "flavor" ski like smooth and damp (such as many Head and Kneissl and other Austrian skis) vs. light feeling and lively (many Fischer skis, the Austrian exception). If you are decided on buying new skis, you may want to think a while about the kinds of turns you like or would like to make, the amount of time you spend or would like to spend on/off piste and the "flavor" or feel that you are looking for. Then start looking for skis whose design characteristics seem to best meet your goals.

Ski manufacturers seem to outdo golf club and tennis racket manufacturers in marketing hyperbole plus they have the space on their product to include all those eye-catching graphics neither of which actually improve ski performance. That's okay because their business is selling skis. Manufacturers also do a good job of making skiers feel that skis more than several seasons old are outdated and need to be replaced.

Manufacturers also know that skiers, like golfers, generally tend to be a very trend and status conscious bunch. When it comes to your ski decision, try to focus on the design parameters that best fit what you enjoy doing or aspire to do and try your best to tune out all the hyperbole.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lostboy, Great reply thanks. (Not least for comparing me with a World Cup Slalom racer Laughing)
I've just totted up and I think I've done about 103 days on the RX8s (which scared me a bit! Shocked) But I've no real issue with how they perform (and any I do are probably down to the pilot Smile)
As I said above, I still really like them but they are pretty tricky if the snow gets a bit deeper.
Good info though which I'll bear in mind, thanks again.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tarquin, I've loved skiing my RX8's for the last 6 years, they just seem to turn by themselves and in most on-piste conditions provide a fantastic relaxed skiing experience. My issues with them were their edge grip on real ice and their stability at speed, especially in a straight line. I guess that both of these issues are due to the RX8's softish flex. My new Black Stars are a bit stiffer and perform much better in both of those situations, but you have to work just a fraction harder on them.
As always, choice of ski is a compromise.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy