Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please - help buying first pair of snowboard boots

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Can anyone out there offer some advice to a newbie?

I have always been a skier, but having recently done the ‘learn to snowboard’ courses, I am a convert!

I decided to invest in a pair of boots so, having read a few articles on sizing and fitting, went off to Snow and Rock to try some on.

I am a size 3 shoe and the measuring scale thing in the shop agreed.
The chap went off and brought back a pair of Burton boots, which from the start felt off, my toes didn’t feel anywhere near the end of the boot, the front was a bit tight and the heal felt low.
He put in a thicker insole but this only made the boot feel tighter across the front but the heal grip still felt low and odd. The boots were a UK size 4, and he said that there were no size 3’s in stock for me to try on.

Here is my question:
I understand that the size is just an initial guide, however, I feel a little cynical that they would try and make a sale over and above ensuring that I had properly fitting boots (The hire ones were much more comfortable, even if a bit smelly and damp) is this unfair?
Do these boots tend to come up a size smaller, so you would try a larger size when trying on snowboard boots?
Is it possible to use insoles etc to get properly fitting boots?
Are they generally well regarded for fitting boots correctly?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If he's just trying to faff with the Burtons rather than offering you any alternative I'd tell him to bog off. Go and try some K2s, much better in my experience.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lesson 1, never ever buy Burton.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Homey, Firstly, welcome to SH. Secondly, ok you're dainty plates are a bit on the small side, but you can certainally find boots out there down to size 3. K2 is one of them, Northwave is another, Burton do too (ignore CH2O) Flow also.

Don't get fobbed off by someone just because the don't have stock, and don't get lured down the "Well, we have a junior boot that'll fit you" path because it won't fit your calf properly. Only other advice is don't go too stiff on your boots, a decent bit of flex is very useful to an early-doors rider.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CH2O, I have Burton Lexa bindings plus two pairs of trousers. Nothing wrong with any of them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, no you're absolutely right, I have a Burton hat, best thing they ever made.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Burton make the worst Snowboard boots on the Market, absolute fact.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Homey, yeah better ignore me, I work in. Ski resort, I sell ski and snowboard boots, we fit them, I see around 10 burton boot owners a week and have to work with all the brands in the world helping to fit people problems. After 18 years of doing so, I've just decided to have a go at Burton, without any cause or reason, nothing at all to do with the 100% unhappy customers we see with these amazing products that cost around 5 euros a pair to make that the odd freak seems happy to be using having paid top end for it. Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only other advice is don't go too stiff on your boots, a decent bit of flex is very useful to an early-doors rider.

This is not true either. Best ignore Richard Sideways. Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CH2O, so your advice is don't buy Burton BOOTS.

The bindings are very good, I have to say.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Buy what you like from them, hopefully one day they'll use all that money to go back to what they used to do so much better than everyone else.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CH2O, so whats in your stock cupboard at size 3 then? Any advice other than your anti-burton stance for our OP?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways, without seeing her feet and deciding if indeed that is the size, i couldnt comment further. we have ride sash, deluxe lara and empire lara in 21 and 22 though. did i mention, dont buy burton
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CH2O, Fair nuff. Ok, and apologies to the OP for highjacking, I'll ask my standard question to boot fitters - I have a friend who has a nightmare getting boots as shes a size 1.5 UK, shes on her 5th or 6th pair now because she can't get anything that fits properly. Gets numb feet from having to over-tighten boots and bindings to compensate her foot moving around inside oversize boots. Shes tried kids boots but they cut into her calves too much.

Have looked into the custom boot route and never got anywhere because nobody seems to do the kind of boot surgery that you find with ski boots... What would you suggest?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
trip to Cham?
snow report
Any options which don't involve accruing airmiles?
snow report
CH2O, just reaslised we've spoken before about this when you wore your SZK hat...
latest report
Hi
Thanks for all the advice.
Unlikely as it is to work, I may try to persuade my hubby that the only realistic possibility of me finding properly fitting boots is to 'accrue airmiles' and head off again this season.
Realistically, I guess I will just have to be patient try a few other stores in the SE.
Thanks again
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, SZK's dead baby, SZK's dead.
snow report
Homey, How easily can we get some pictures of your feet and a bunch of measurements? Done it a good few times, and France have a postal service, you'll then just need to go see CEM and get some footbeds, I hope he'll do the heat moulding for free, god knows we do plenty the other way for free.
snow report
CH2O, Well if you ever get round to reanimating his corpse, tell him to update his blog - Particularly product reviews...

Quote:
no nonsense, no bullsh*t! OUR OPINION.
**Not Found**

Oh, the irony.
snow report
Haha, I think a young son and a couple more clients put play to good intentions.
snow report
You mean... servicing the whims of the online communitah is NOT your number 1 priority???

...At least you can guarantee its completely BS free.
latest report
You may have found your new signature...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy