Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort Review: Warth-Schröcken

Poster: A snowHead
Resort: Warth-Schröcken
Domain: currently Bregenzerwald but Arlberg Ski Area from the start of the 2013/14 season
Dates: Jan 2011, Feb 2012, Dec 2012, Feb 2013
Our holiday: We are a family of 5 – two adults in their early (cough) 40s and children aged (as at March 2013) 7, 10 and 12. The children are all proficient skiers able to cope with anything on piste. The eldest child races on dry slopes and is now tackling off-piste with gusto. My wife and I enjoy skiing off-piste.
Website : http://www.warth-schroecken.com/en/startpage-skilift-warth-schroecken/.
Basics: Warth-Schröcken is in the Vorarlberg, about 6km to the North of Lech, but the road between the two is normally impassable in winter. The area is therefore accessed either from Dornbirn to the West or Reutte to the East. It is about 2½ hours drive from Zurich airport and 1½ hours from Friederichshafen. No UK TOs currently offer holidays in Warth.
Lift system: Generally very modern: there are 3 base stations, each of which has a 4 or 6 pack with canopy. There are two other canopied 6-packs and three uncanopied 4-packs. There are three 2-man chairs which are either short or relatively short and a couple of drag lifts at valley level serving beginners’ slopes. We have not experienced any issue with queues, even – much to the amazement of friends with a chalet in the 3-Valleys – at February half-term (max 2-3 mins if you time your departure from the base station to coincide with the ski school groups). A new gondola (the Auenfeldjet) will be installed in summer 2013 and open for the 2013-14 season, connecting the ski area to Lech (it will link into the base station of the Weibermahdbahn, just below the speed check).
The terrain: 65km of pistes and marked itineraries, reasonably split between blue, red and black. The pistes are generally quite wide and well groomed. A couple of the black runs are certainly worth their grading for reasons of steepness. Some of the itineraries (3–Wolfegg, 4-Auenfeld Mulde and the itinerary through the trees under the Schaukel-Falken 2-man chair) are very entertaining in good snow conditions. My view is that there is as much of interest to be found on piste at Warth as there is to be found in the nominally larger Obergurgl. A permanent 600m-long "head-to-head" GS course and a snowpark are next to the Sonnencruiser chair; there is a second snow park in Warth under the Wannenkopfbahn and a speedcheck at Hochkrumbach/Salober starting from the top of the 2-man Kuchlift.
The snow: The snow was hard packed on piste at the beginning of our first trip. Otherwise it has been excellent, although the piste bashers sometimes struggle to keep up with overnight snowfalls (30cm falls are commonplace). For reasons of geography (first valley into the alps from the northern edge) the ski area gets huge amounts of snow and claims to be the snowiest in the Alps (with an average snowfall in excess of 11m). Most of the pistes are north facing so hold their snow well.
Off-piste : There are endless opportunities for newcomers to off piste skiing to ski in between and slightly off the pistes, where good powder can often be found several days after the last snowfall. For the more adventurous, especially those with a guide, there are some great off-piste runs down to the valley floor although some involve lengthy traverses or a calorie-burning hike. There are lots of ski touring opportunities including routes over the top of the Wartherhorn and down to Lech.
The resort : The ultimate in unspoiled chocolate box. There is a cluster of 4 hotels close to the main base station in Warth, set about 400m to the West of the village centre. The village centre bosts a couple more hotels, one bar and the Dorfcafé. There is another bar close to the lift pass office, but this seems to be frequented mainly by saisonnaires. There is a terrific toboggan track which is open on Tuesday and Thursday nights (helmets definitely recommended). There are 3 ski hire shops in Warth, and others at the Jägeralpe and Hochkrumbach/Salober base stations. Schröcken (at the Western end of the area) has about 3 hotels in or just outside it, but there is no lift base station in the village (the Salober/Hochkrumbach base station is about 1 mile to the east, with reasonably regular buses between the two). Both Warth and Schröcken each have a Spar shop and, separately, one ATM.
Food : Most of the hotels have decent restaurants for lunch. On the mountain the Hochalp Hϋtte and Auenfelder Hϋtte are both excellent (Goulash soup about €5.60 and the former has a Skifahrer Rösti "to die for" at €9) and the self-service Punschϋtte is highly recommended as well. For those making the descent to Schröcken (either off piste or via an itinerary), the Gasthof Tannberg on the far side of the main (but quiet) valley road has fantastic food.
Accommodation : We have now stayed in the Lechtalerhof and the Steffisalp twice. Both offer good 4* accommodation with wellness areas. If some (but not all) rooms at the Lechtalerhof (10% discount for SCGB members) are not as modern as those in the Steffisalp and the food is perhaps not quite as good, it nevertheless offers the charm of a family-run hotel. The Steffisalp is 20m from the eponymous base station, while the Lechtalerhof is about a 2 minute walk away. The 4*+ Wartherhof is also just across the road from the base station. The well-equipped Familienhotel Jägeralpe is located on its own about 1 mile to the West of Warth, and has its own 6-pack on site. There is plenty of cheaper accommodation (including self-catering) which can be found via the resort website.
Ski School : the Skischule Warth used to be run by Warth dairy farmer and Olympic gold- and silver-medallist (Calgary 1988) Hubert Strolz. It is now run by the equally friendly and ever-helpful Mathias Fritz who is happy to arrange private tuition, group lessons, guiding and even race-training. A guide costs about €290 for a standard day. Book well ahead for peak times. Email: info@skischule-warth.com
Costs: a 6-day pass in peak season costs €192. Children’s passes (“children” are determined by birth year and are up to the age of 16) are half the cost of adult passes. Expect changes from the 2013-14 season when the link to Lech opens.
Conclusion: A gem of a resort, offering much to all grades of skier.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 15-03-13 15:10; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the great report Dt68. Sounds like a great resort

How did you get to the resort? Did you drive or use public transport?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For two trips we have flown to Zurich and driven from there. For the half-term trips we have driven out from the UK (we managed to get from Warth back to Calais in <10.5 hours on the most recent trip, but would generally allow 11.5 hours each way).
Some hotels will arrange transfers from airports: friends staying in the Steffisalp with us at half-term paid 160 Euros for a group of 4, each way from Friederichshafen.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great report. Have fancied going due the snow record and the fact you can see it from Oberlech. Can't wait for it to be joined up to the Arlberg.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking ahead to the opening of the gondola between Warth and Lech, Pastor Muller goes on tour:

http://youtube.com/v/H0USzrihqHM&feature=player_embedded
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DT68, I've just got back from a 5 day trip to Warth/Schrocken........... stayed at the Hotel Lechtalerhof.

I'm really impressed with the skiing there, had some great end of season snow and weather skiing in everything from ankle deep fresh stuff to rock hard crud off piste.

VERY impressed by the number of 4/6 person fast lifts that open up multiple runs, especially the Sonnenjet/Auenfeld lift that services the Number 4 and 8 runs including the Intinerary options. Spent all Wednesday morning playing around the piste/OP traversing out of 8 and enjoying the virtually untouched territory. This is approaching the projected Auenfeldjet Bahn for the link into Lech next season. The pisted Number 8 is superb for fast cruising, but watch out for the rollers!!

There's a number of shortish blacks, 26a/27 that ski well, steepish, good snow-hold, not a lot of bumps, that are not too taxing. The runs down to Jageralp and Steffisalp are well prepared, cruisey reds/black that you can take at speed or at your leisure. I was pleased at the piste preparation which meant the pistes were in great condition, which they should be with 180 cms on the lower slopes (1500m), and the fresh falls of snow 3-5 inches on Tues night gave a great surface to ski both on piste and OP.

I had a great time skiing and the hotel http://www.lechtalerhof.at/en/index.html was a very pleasant and comfortable "boutique" hotel. Martina, Silvie, and Angela were wonderful hosts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
theskibob, glad you enjoyed it, but important not to let too many people know what they're missing wink

You can normally find bumps on Itinerary 1 (alongside the top bit of Black 27) or on Black 3. There used to be big bumps on Itinerary 4 (Auenfelde Mulde) but they seem to have started piste-bashing it this year (effectively making a nice, wide, red).

The Brenner family are delightful.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 13-04-13 18:03; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Think Warth is about to get a lot busier when it's a cheaper backdoor into Lech.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, maybe, maybe not:
    1. Self-drive remains the easiest way to get to Warth (no equivalent of the Arlberg Express and the numbers (see below) mean that an equivalent is unlikely to develop).

2. There are capacity constraints (I would have thought there are <1500 beds in the valley). The existing capacity is already pretty much taken up in peak season. The locals are hoping that the gondola will improve their low-season occupancy levels, but those are generally the times when you can get a good-ish deal anywhere.

3. Although good value, it is not that cheap and some of the gloss will be removed when people have to pay Arlberg rates for their ski passes.

4. To get across to Lech from Warth itself you will need to take 3 lifts before you even get to the linking gondola.

5. I would also be interested to know what their contingency plan is for getting people back to their resorts should they have to shut the gondola in the middle of the day if the weather took a turn for the worse.

6. Apres-ski and shopping will still be nearly non-existent.

Generally people tend to stay where they want to stay: it could be argued that Stuben provides a cheap backdoor into St Anton, but that has not made it particularly busy (sure, the infrastructure in Stuben does little to encourage the hordes but it is as close an analogy as I can think of).

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 13-04-13 21:49; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi DT68 & theskibob,
I'm glad you enjoyed Warth!
Its many years since I was last that way ... about 25 years ago.
It was pretty good then, but I loved all of the Bregenzerwald.
My favourite is Damuuls, my least favourite is Mellau.
There was another one lift wonder down the valley at Shoppernau which was very quaint ...it s probably a mega resort now.
Ah memories!
We dare not go back to Warth though, because my dear wife "half inched" the mug her hot chocolate was served in .. we still have it!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DT68, AND........ Warth/Schrocken needs to up its game in terms of retail/shopping/on-mountain-restaurants/apres-ski/nightlife.

As regards a comparison with Lech it's a chalk/cheese. Warth/Schrocken needs Lech more than vice-versa, and I understand that any new-build in W-S requires access/rights to water as the valley has no real reserves of water. Lech is to provide water pipe/access as part of the agreement. There's other local in-fighting with new/independent Ski Schools, families that own substantial portions of the mountain, lift operator percentages, and other differences.

And I agree totally regarding pricing of hotels. Needs to be the more competitive!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DrLawn, As it looks like you have been there long time ago, Damuels is now connected to Mellau....

http://www.bergfex.com/damuels/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
theskibob, that assumes that the locals want to change the character of the place. My take, for what it's worth, is that they do not. I also understand that the water issues have been resolved - but no doubt only up to a point.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrLawn, Shoppernau has kicked on, so has Faschina. Much of the whole valley is a time-warp waiting for a fast autobahn to link it with the 21st Century.
All along the road from Dornbirn to Warth are substantial good looking properties clearly indicating no shortage of existing wealth. Absolutely wonderful, charming, quaint, historical villages! My fave................ Schwarzenberg........ what a lovely gem!

Warth has a real opportunity to swing along with Lech. I realy hope the link develops this opportunity for the benefit of locals, skiers, and new visitors.

From what I've seen/heard from the locals (all 5 of them), they seem eager to embrace! I'm even thinking of upping-sticks and getting in there before it really kicks off in say 5-7 years time when the TO's realise the quality of the place.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DT68 wrote:
theskibob, ..........................the water issues have been resolved - but no doubt only up to a point.

Only if you cross the right palms with substantial silver.

There should be some new ideas, new opportunities, new openings and not just for those working the current "gold mines". Warth Schrocken is indeed a lovely place with some really lovely skiing. My wife and I, plus a couple of friends, were quite impressed with the variety and quality of the skiing on offer considering the resort is not, on paper, that big. With the right conditions there's a huge amount of OP serviced by these few lifts. I think the link into Lech will be a welcome bonus for any skiers seeking out this gem of a resort.
latest report
Update following a half-term ski-trip last week:

1. The new gondola link to Lech (the Auenfeldjet) is proving very popular: the planning assumption was that 240,000 would use the lift in the first season - that figure has already been exceeded and they are now guesstimating 400,000 for the season. BUT: (1) there can be long-ish queues (15-20 mins) at both ends of the lift even in the middle of the day; (2) the combi concept (the gondola merges with an 8-seater chair at the Lech end) is a recipe for frequent stoppages each time a child getting on the chair in Lech falls over; (3) the slopes leading to the link at the Warth end cut up badly in the sun and from the increased useage (one of the guides told me that this is now seen as a big problem and they will need to install artificial snowmaking on that side of the mountain, but land- and environmental clearance may take many years to achieve).

2. Overall the resort seemed a bit busier than in previous years but (the Auenfeldjet excepted) there was still no problem with lift queues. Mountain restaurants are, however, struggling a bit from the increased numbers.

3. There is now a plan for a lift from Schrocken into the ski area above Hochkrumbach - it is less clear how punters will be expected to return to Schrocken as the village can currently be reached only by two itineraries or off-piste.

4. The Skischule Warth excelled itself, providing a variety of courses for different skill levels within our large party: my 13 year-old spent two days doing hardcore off-piste and a day bashing gates, while my two younger children (11 and 8 ) spent three days with a group which also went off-piste at every opportunity; the younger beginners in the party progressed very quickly to blue slopes and were even tackling reds with composure by the end of the week.

5. Every third voice now seems to be British Sad - on our first visit in January 2011 we only heard one British voice in an entire week ...
latest report
Hi,

I want to share about my Perth UK trip. I visited my sister there and enjoyed a lot. The places are good and especially the museum. The food is of every kind and type is available. I like the Indian food the most. There is a list of restaurant which you can get from internet.
snow conditions
I like Perth too Barb80....But what has your report got to do with Warth & Shrocken in Austria Puzzled
latest report
Oops....duplicate post Embarassed

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 9-10-14 12:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
I like Perth too Barb80....But what has your report got to do with Warth & Shrocken in Austria Puzzled

http://youtube.com/v/g8huXkSaL7o
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy