Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski hire in Saas Grund - Skiset, Intersport or independent

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Although mainly skiing in Saas Fee, we're staying in Saas Grund and are planning on hiring skis there. Can anyone recommend any of the shops in particular please? Zurbriggen hire through Intersports and Fun Sport through Skiset, but I know there is at least one other shop.

Is it worth hiring in advance (16 March so not Easter etc) or would we be better just going into a shop, seeing what they've got and trying for a deal?

I know NOTHING about skis except that female specific ones are probably a good idea and I may have a problem getting intermediate skis as I'm only 1.50m tall skiing on 135cm. So I'm looking for somewhere that will provide a good service helping us select decent skis, not somewhere that on seeing we know nothing will try to fob us off with anything.

If necessary we could go to Saas Fee to get the service, but Saas-Grund would be easier - and cheaper I suspect.

BTW why does snowheads not recommend Skiset anymore? Could someone point me to the post that explains please? I liked the fact that they suggested different skis for women up front which I didn't see any mention of on Intersports - or does everyone have women's skis these days?

Thanks as always for all the help.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't really know Saas Grund, but have hired in Saas Fee. There's a large hire shop a couple of mins walk from the bridge towards the centre of town, I think it might be an Intersport shop or possibly Cesar Sports (maybe someone else knows...?). They had plenty of skis in there, anyway, and seemed pretty helpful.

I would look on the web to compare prices in the 2 towns, as you say, Saas Grund may well be cheaper, and booking in advance will yield a discount which you may very much want when you see the price!

You don't necessarily need female specific skis - unisex ones can come in a range of sizes. Also, unless you are set on short skis, you might find yourself happy on slightly longer ones (into the mid 140s) which may open up your options.

I'm not entirely up to speed on the Skiset politics, but apparently Snowheads now recommends Alpinresorts (depends on your resort as to the options available though - Alpinresorts had no local shop for me last week, so I used Skiset. Everything was fine.)

Hope that helps a bit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Scarlet, that does help. I've been skiing a dry slope - started on 140s but was much happier when the new skis came in and had 135s. On snow I'm guessing I should go a bit longer so 137 or 140 but I noticed a lot of skis don't start until 148, which I suspect is pushing it!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We hired skis at the shop just by the gondola in Saas Grund - not sure of the name. It was very good with a wide selection and helpful staff but did shut at lunch which meant we had to leave the skis round the back of the shop when we left. Not really a problem though. Hohsaas, at the top of Saas Grund, is a lovely area - great cruisy runs, not too crowded and fantastic scenery . The Weissmiesshuette is a great place for lunch
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks pjd, I think that is Fun Sport. It appears to be on the right immediately before the gondola. They all seem to close for lunch as far as I can see wink

Thanks for the recommendation for lunch too. We're going with someone who is an instructor and has skied many times in Saas Fee, so that's his preference, but I'm hoping that we'll get to try Saas-Grund as well.

Could I ask one other question please pjd as you've skied in Saas Grund. We will need to use the nursery slopes the day we arrive, are they OK as it's been suggested that they're not?

Thanks again.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
HelenS, I did a season in saas fee and had friends who came and stayed in saas Grund for a week. They hired from fun sport and had a good experience.

When you say the nursery slopes in Grund are not ok what do you mean? The nursery slopes are up at the middle second station of the gondola rather than in the village and are accessed by travelling up and then lapping the tow that runs alongside them. They are wide and a consistent shallow gradient so I can't see that they'd cause anyone any problems but you may wish to travel back down on the gondola rather than ski depending on the ability of your group.

In saas fee the nursery slopes are in the village so slightly easier accessed and there are two of differing length and gradient with corresponding tows.

As pjs says saas Grund's hohsaas area is well worth a day at at the very least, it gets more sun than its neighbour but you'll find more variety up in saas fee.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep, lovely nursery slopes at mid station as fastandicy says. I think there's a very small drag in a field the far end of the village which looked v limited
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pjd, do you mean the fabled "fourth resort" of saas balen?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fastandicy, I don't know what was supposed to be wrong with them as unfortunately I never got a chance to find out - hence my question. I was told to go to the Saas Fee ones instead, with 'a knowing smile' if you know what I mean.

Thanks everyone for all the info/advice. Did your friends fastandicy, or you pjd, hire direct or through skiset please?

I take it Saas Balen isn't somewhere to check out! wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fastandicy, No but I know where you mean! The one I was thinking of is in the village on the left hand side as you go towards Saas Almagell
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everybody for some great wisdom, will report back in a week or three! Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HelenS, I think she booked through SkiSet. She certainly pre-booked but I can't be sure who through.

pjd, ahhhhh, you mean the snow-tubing hill. I don't think they allow skiers on that but I could be wrong.

Have a great time in saas, all going to plan I'll be out myself on the 16th and can't wait to get back to my second home.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beautiful place and you are going at a great time. In January it is cold and dark, as the sun doesn't get above the. Outta in in saws fee village.

Saws Grund is very good

It is easy, although probably costly, to get the bus to SF, get the lift up and hire at the top and then ski down and drop off back in town, then just get the bus back down.
That means you don't get the hassle of putting skis on the back of the bus with everyone else

But it is Switzerland, so hardly a hassle

Have a great time
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone. Have a great time too fastandicy. Maybe the ski-tubing hill was mistaken for the nursery slopes by the person I spoke too - would make sense then!

Think we'll hire lockers in Saas Fee to save transporting the skis - does mean you can't decide on a whim to ski Saas Grund though of course!

Hope you're packed now Steve wink Have a good time.

Thanks again.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy