Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sainte Foy and neighbours, 24 Feb-3 March 2013

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Bit of a mixed week...

I'd heard great things about Sainte Foy, and for the most part it delivered: tiny but perfectly formed, amazingly quiet in a busy French holiday week, and a mix of off-piste terrain ranging from gentle and undulating to seriously clenchworthy. Sadly I shattered my confidence on day one, firstly by crashing heavily over an invisible drop-off, then by attempting to follow my (more advanced) companions down a very steep, rocky off-piste route. It took me the rest of the week to banish the wobbles.

We had fresh powder on our first morning, but by midweek the temperatures were rising and hurting the snow; we ventured out on the first of three planned day trips, to Tignes. We all know the Espace Killy well, having skied there in 2009, and again earlier this year. I hoped that familiarity would lift my battered confidence.

But a sunny Thursday in the middle of the holidays highlighted the worst of skiing the French megaresorts. Overcrowded slopes, needlessly long and disorganised lift queues, Godawful food in mountain restaurants, third-world sanitation... we did find some peace away from the main lifts, and the snow was better than in Sainte Foy, but I couldn't wait to get out of there.

We spent Friday in La Plagne, which wouldn't have been my choice, but I went with the majority... didn't much like it when we visited from Les Arcs in 2010, and didn't much like it in 2013. Even more crowded than Tignes, rather samey... apparently it has very good accessible off-piste, but the snow wasn't really up to it. Lunch better than Tignes, though.

Saturday, our last day, was Les Arcs, which I loved in 2010. We accessed it from Villaroger - empty car park, single chairlift, about four other people - bliss. The snow was holding up pretty well to unbroken sunshine and temperatures in the high single figures; as expected, it was far quieter than the two previous days. Despite a culinary low point at lunchtime (unidentifiable partially raw 'meat' oozing blood, apparently drowned in dishwater) this was easily the best of the day trips. Skiing was mostly of the fast sweeping on-piste variety, with a bit of a play on some icy moguls. Most of the easily-accessed off-piste very tracked, crusty or icy. But a fun day to end the week, and not a moment too soon.

It had its moments, but not a week I'll look back on too fondly. Sainte Foy is great, though - would certainly return.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ste foy is hard to beat combo of no queues, quaint resort, friendly locals, good pitse skiing, and even better OP.

rarely feel the need to go elsewhere....although crossing over to the dark side and going La Rosiere at NY....as couldn t find accomodation big enough for our group....that was affordable anyway
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought Les Arcs on Saturday was absolute magic. Not a lift queue anywhere and on piste snow ok virtually everywhere. But even on the Friday the queues were not as long as I expected for the last day of the main holiday season.

The snow which is forecast for the next seven days is definitely needed though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
The snow which is forecast for the next seven days is definitely needed though
Chamonix meteo, which is very detailed and usually quite accurate/valid for surrounding areas, has no snow forecast in the next four or five days..... Confused
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like rain at low level now.

We're dabbling with the idea of heading back - to Sainte Foy ideally - for a weekend in the next few weeks. Assuming there's any fresh snow, and assuming we can find somewhere to stay.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
6 Day Weather Forecast for Les Arcs at 2390 m altitude issued: 6am 09 Mar 2013

Days 0-3 Les Arcs Weather Summary:
A moderate fall of snow, heaviest on Mon night. Temperatures will be below freezing (max -3°C on Sat morning, min -6°C on Mon night). Wind will be generally light.

Days 4-6 Les Arcs Weather Summary:
A heavy fall of snow, heaviest during Tue night. Temperatures will be below freezing (max -5°C on Tue morning, min -14°C on Thu morning). Wind will be generally light.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ajrduff, give me a shout if you need Sainte Foy accom. Depends on dates. Snowheads discount!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy