Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Qualified Ski Instructor looking for work

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Sorry if I'm not suppose to post this here...

My names Richard, I'm 21 years old and I'm living in England. I became CSIA Ski Level 1 when I was about 17. I have been teaching pretty much full-time every winter since I passed. I have only been teaching on a dry ski slope in England. I have been skiing on snow but not taught on snow. I am more than capable of teaching any age and sex anything from the very beginning (putting ski boots on) to teaching parallel. I would like to find a teaching job abroad (no preference as to where) but as this is my first time teaching abroad I don't really know where to start. I would be able to work from September to the end of February every season, hopefully starting next season (2013/2014) if I can get a job.

I would also be bringing my girlfriend with me who would be looking for a non-skiing job, she will be 18 and finished her college course of Beauty Therapy but she will accept anything (chalet work etc).Im basically looking for advice and perhaps a point in the right direction. I am very good with the public and have been working with the public since I was 16. 

Thank you in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You won't find much teaching work 'abroad' (I assume Europe?) until Christmas. How does CSIA compute in BASI terms? If it's like BASI 1, you're unlikely to be able to use it in Europe. If it's more equivalent to BASI 2, probably no problem. To find work, simply email every ski school you can find! France is probably out (complicated - law requires highest qualies), but Austria and Switzerland are fair game. Try Fuerstauer Ski School in Saalbach, I was offered work with them immeditely following an email (several years ago), they've now got a couple of Brits working for them. Email schools in any other resorts you fancy too. Your gf should be looking to apply to Tour Operators (Crystal etc), private chalets and local bars (etc) - google is your friend there.

You're too early now though, wait 'til June/July. Btw, the season 'proper' runs from mid-Dec to Mid-April, you'll really struggle to find work in most resorts before then. As an instructor you're probably OK finishing in Feb (will be no issue at Fuerstauer anyway), but pretty much any other sort of work (for your gf) will not give her a job if she quits that early - so either find a way to do the whole season, she stays longer than you, or don't tell them until the last minute.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RCS2810 wrote:
I'm 21 years old. .. I became CSIA Ski Level 1 when I was about 17. .. I have been skiing on snow but not taught on snow..

CSIA1 is pretty basic. How is your snow skiing? You need to be GOOD - ski just about everything with a reasonable amount of style. I strongly suggest you get yourself out to the Alps NOW and ski the rest of the season. If you choose a brit-popular resort in Austria then you have the chance of making contacts for this year and giving them the idea of employing you next year: but your skiing needs to be of a good standard. The reason I suggest a brit-popular resorts is that in peak season the ski schools are always struggling for native English-speakers so if you can fill that need then you have a chance for other parts of the season as well.

What training have you done over the past 4 years? Does your slope have a club you could train with over the summer? Then look at doing a BASI 2 (if they'll accept your CSIA - I'm not up-to-date on the current situation) in October or thereabouts.

If you can find an instructing position, then getting bar/chalet work for your GF will in comparison be easy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Disagree with quite a lot of that, teaching beginners to snowplough doesn't require particularly high skiing skills (there aren't any Aspen Extreme style intro-tests!). And there are a LOT of base level instructor jobs out there. I know quite a few people with the Austrian Anwarter (Austrian base level qualification) who aren't brilliant skiers/are incapable of offpiste/etc, and with that qualification getting a job is really really easy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999, You've already stated you don't know the level required for a CSIA level 1, so on what basis are you disagreeing with me? CSIA L1 is indeed about the level of a BASI L1 and I know a number of skiers who did the CSIA L1 some years ago and whilst they can get down most pistes I'd hesitate to call them a good example.

If RCS can only ski to the level required for a CSIA/BASI L1, then he will struggle to get a season-long job: might be okay for the odd very-busy week (I saw a few lifites roped into working for ski school last winter when they had a sudden unexpected influx of beginners...),

A GOOD skier to you living in the mountains is a rather better skier than a GOOD skier to someone living in the UK - even one working on a dry slope.

I agree that teaching beginners doesn't require a high level of skiing but if I rephrased my third sentence as follows would you still disagree?

You need to be able to ski just about anything on piste with a reasonable amount of style.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RobW, Sorry, reading it back I have no idea what I'm disagreeing with Laughing

For some reason, the first I read it, I thought you were saying it would be difficult to find a teaching job Confused

Tiring day - apologies.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy