Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WarmThru Heated Inner Gloves & Full Gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Just thought I'd drop in here to let you all know about a pair of heated gloves that we trialed recently from WarmThru (http://www.warmthru.com/), who are based in Scotland.

My wife has, for a long time, suffered from freezing fingertips whilst out skiing. We've tried a number of things, including new gloves (usually a compromise between flexibility and warmth), mittens (didn't like the feel when wrapped round a ski pole) and hand warmer packs (good, but a little inconvenient), but none of them have eliminated the problem over the course of a day.

For Christmas this year, I set out on a hunt for heated gloves. Very quickly I discovered that there are a lot of this kind of thing for motorbike riders, but they tend to be rigid, really expensive, or connect to a 12V battery! Of those that I found designed for sports, a lot were unbranded cheap-looking affairs that I didn't have a lot of confidence in to do the job. Quite a few were also from American companies, shipped over here.

So, I was happy to find WarmThru, who are UK based and offer a range of heated gloves designed for a wide range of applications (including skiing!). They also offer heated inner-gloves, which I hadn't come across before. These were ideal as it occurred to me that ski gloves can wear out quite quickly and the inner option allows us to just switch the outer gloves as and when necessary. They also have a pair of "HotMitts" which were apparently used by Ranulph Fiennes. A pretty good endorsement I think wink

Anyway, the gloves did the trick admirably. Paired with a decent pair of outer gloves, they generate enough heat to keep cold fingers toasty warm. On the coldest day, they do have a harder time making you feel "toasty" warm, as I guess it's a bigger temperature difference that they have to overcome, but they do generate enough heat to mean that my wife didn't complain once of "frozen fingers", which is a success in my book!

It took me a while to find the company, and the guy who runs them, Jack Gold, is a really nice guy - we had a problem with one of the gloves and he sorted it out in record time and with no fuss. I Just wanted to help him get some exposure and also maybe tip a few fellow snowHeads off - hopefully it might be helpful to anyone who has been suffering and was so far unaware of the possible solutions!

Cheers,

Mark.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What level did your wife run the liners on please Mark? And did she have to buy a much larger size of ski glove to fit them in?
I like the idea of being able to put the batteries in your pockets rather than on the gloves - that's the main thing that's stopped me trying these types of gloves before.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey HelenS,

My wife is also called Helen - read into that what you will (people called Helen are destined for cold hands?) wink

She ran them on 100% to start with and on the very cold days that was a must. However on the majority of days she found herself switching them down to either 25% or 50% as otherwise she got too hot! Her current outer gloves are really really thin, so you may even find that with thicker outers you don't need as much as she did. Throughout her adjustment of the glove power level (and she did adjust as the day went on) she never ran out of battery. IIRC it's 4 hours at 100% but obviously she tweaked it just enough that we easily got 7 / 8 hours of warmth out of them.

They really are just like standard inner gloves (albeit with a wire heating element in them) so they should fit under any gloves. Helen's are quite tight, and they were absolutely fine. Her outers are not like tight race gloves, so I couldn't say for sure on that front, but I wouldn't mind betting they'd even fit under those!

We got the grey ones, which don't have the back of hand battery pouch, and she bought the extension cables and put the batteries in her inside coat pockets (rather than in the arm bands). I agree, though, batteries on the back of the gloves would suck!

Cheers,

Mark.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy