Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I buy goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Going on my first ski trip to Zel at Christmas and with all the expense of the festive period + the holiday, christmas and kitting the family out with clobber etc etc I was wondering if I could get away with not buying any ski goggles.
I have a pair of oakley square wire sunglasses and was hopping I could get away with using those as I dont really want to fork out another £80 or more for some goggles. Im a big believer in by cheap = buy twice so ive always tried to get the best I can afford. So if I was to get some goggles can you suggest some and prices which are worth considering.

ty
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, buy goggles. By a twin lens, at least. Most brands are great, however personally, i've never had a pair that, don't, steam up. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Renry, As S.Zookeeper says, yes, buy goggles! The first pair I bought were UVEX double lens and I've never had a problem with them steaming up. Then again, I don't ski that often. They cost about 20 quid.
My other half got a pair of something cheap with a single lens and they were worse than useless. Not only did they steam up, but the steam then froze on the inside. Needless to say we went back out and bought a cheap double lens pair and they've been fine.

My problem is that her goggles are not trendy enough and she now wants a pair of Oakley 80 quid somethings Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Paul Holland wrote:
Renry, As S.Zookeeper says, yes, buy goggles! The first pair I bought were UVEX double lens and I've never had a problem with them steaming up. Then again, I don't ski that often. They cost about 20 quid.
My other half got a pair of something cheap with a single lens and they were worse than useless. Not only did they steam up, but the steam then froze on the inside. Needless to say we went back out and bought a cheap double lens pair and they've been fine.

My problem is that her goggles are not trendy enough and she now wants a pair of Oakley 80 quid somethings Cool

My problem is i overheat. I never, ever feel the cold. I have to drive with both windows down, even at -30 degrees. It's really quite odd, by may explain why my goggles always steam up. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Update:

I think mine are the hurricane

http://www.glideslide.co.uk/0405%20Uvex/glideslide-uvexc.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I understand. I've skied my goggles in both -20 and +20 and they've always been ok but everyone is different.
I've seen people on hear swear by single lens goggles but our experience was a horrible one!

Another point though Renry, if you ski with a helmet, you need to make sure the goggles fit nicely with it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Renry, you wouldn't believe how much difference they make to the visibility, even when its bright sunshine. I bought some Alpina Bonfire goggles last year in Kitzbuhel - I was astonished at the difference they made, even on relatively clear days. Also when its really chilly, they stop your eyes watering. I did spend about £80 on them though, but worth every penny Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
samharris, Also when it's really cold and snowing, the lovely orange tint of my goggles makes me feel so much warmer. Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Paul Holland, yes but freezing cold when you take them off and the world all seems strangely blue... Only cure is a vin chaud (or two) Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Renry, Try skiing without goggles when its snowing. Its a horrid experience that will send your running to the goggleshop.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks guys, i think i will make that purchase then

So looking at what to but I would obviously like some O's or some like but as I said im on a bit of a budget ate the moment so was wondering what you thought of a pair these, are they any good. (Short link)

or what are the prices like in resort (zel area)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Renry, those look OK, but as usual, you can't try them on, etc. They're about £35 from the Rooly website, albeit that's in the US. I would wait till you get there cos then you can try them on for fit and choose what lens colour you like. That can make a big, big difference -I was "allergic" to a rose tinted pair I had as a kid. they made me sick. i kid you not.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yes, buy goggles
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes buy goggles for all the reasons stated above. Yes make sure they are double glazed. No don't but them over the internet, you need to try them on - for example they may pinch your nose if it is as big as mine.
Also, if you end up using a helmet, not all goggles will fit all helmets.

I had to correct an interesting mis-type which would have suggested that you should buy giggles - better to get those while skiing down a pretty slope than buy them any other way I would suggest wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You could look at Dragon goggles.... I have a pair and they are just great and are not anywhere near as expensive as £80
latest report
Subscribe to Fall Line Skiing at the moment and they offer a pair of RipCurl goggles thrown in.
latest report
You'll need googles if its snowing and bad light. Go to shop in the resort, pick out the ones you like and benchtest them against the sky outside. Tell the shop you want them for bad flat light and see how much light they cut out. They should make a big difference against the sky... Get the most functional in this instance rather than the most fashionable. Thats not to say Adidas and Oakley don't make excellent lenses..!!
snow report
I once went to Les Deux Alpes without goggles Big mistake! Right at the top I got caught in a cross wind, blowing snow into my eyes at something like -28. I couldn't see a thing and my eyes were painful for the rest of the trip. Plus the glare off the snow in good weather gave me a headache.

The moral of this story is:

Always take Goggles! snowHead
latest report
Renry, I hate wearing goggles....it's glasses evey time for me. But even I wouldn't travel without a pair. If it's snowing, windy, sleeting or poor visability, goggles are the only answer.
snow conditions
Goggles are also more comfortable if you're going quick as they keep the wind out of your eyes.
snow report
Renry,
Ok I will stick my neck out and be perverse. You don't have to have goggles, I know quite a few people who don't wear them even when it is snowing hard. Having said that I am a goggles wearer they are undoubtedly more comfortable if it is snowing and they help a lot in flat light.

I would though say that you should not plan on spending a lot, they can get damaged easily if not looked after and if you buy a reasonable pair with a double lens this should be more than adequate. If you wait till you are in the resort you may find you get a sunny week where goggles are of little help and if you do need them you can check them out at the time.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
Renry,
Ok I will stick my neck out and be perverse. You don't have to have goggles, I know quite a few people who don't wear them even when it is snowing hard.

Puzzled Do they ski with their eyes closed? Having a constant stream of snowflakes crashing into your eyeballs is an unpleasant experience at the best of times. If you're standing at the top of a steep piste and need to wring every last lumen out of the flat light to see where you are going I really don't recommend squinting in order to keep the flakes out of your eyes. Buy goggles. You'll be glad you did.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

Do they ski with their eyes closed?

No they use sunglasses at all times.

I agree that when it snows goggles are useful but I have skied many times when it has not snowed all week Sad Sad

Which is why I think you can reasonably wait until you are in the resort to buy and then if you decide to buy, to test them against the light there.
snow conditions
I have to say that I would wear my goggles even when it is sunny.... once I put them on I will literally forget they are there.... this wasnt the case until I actually gound some good goggles which gave my all round vision
snow report
All very helpfull as usual people. Many thanks, resort seems the best option and if I find I realy need them I can get some there.

Cheers Little Angel
snow report
Renry,
If taking young kids by the way I would definatelybuy goggles for them they lose them less than sunglasses and they keep them warmer.
latest report
There do seem to be plenty of goggles about in the £20 to £30 mark with fairly good features, even in the S&R cat.
ski holidays
Renry, I think it's quite important not to get sucked into brand names when buying goggles.Try not to set out to by a pair of Oakleys for instance, keep an open mind. As previously mentioned it is really important to try goggles on and I would suggest that you look at all the different makes available wherever you go to make your purchase, otherwise you can't compare. When buying my own goggles, the first ones I tried were Oakleys (tried 3 different frames), which I thought felt ok and I could probably have settled for them, however after putting a pair of Smith goggles on afterwards, the Oakleys were no comparison in terms of the comfort. The point is that the shape of your face will determine which are the most comfortable for you and there is a marked difference between the shapes of goggles on sale today.

Also you may need to consider lense type. Again, as mentioned above, a double lense is a must, but think also about the tint. Firstly some lenses are better performers than others in certain conditions, such as flat light or full sun. However the other factor is what you are more comfortable looking through. Mrs YSJ for instance prefers lenses with a rose tint, personally I can't stand looking through rose coloured spectacles and have a preference for an amber tint. Whatever you try on, step out of the shop into the proper daylight to get a better idea of how they will be to wear on the slopes. Oh, one more thing - having done that don't forget to go back into the shop, otherwise I think that's known as theft. Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One other thing, if you do wear a helmet, you look much better with goggles rather than sunglasses wink
ski holidays
Paul Holland wrote:
One other thing, if you do wear a helmet, you look much better with goggles rather than sunglasses wink

Good point..... if it is Renry's first trip, a helmet is most fedinitely worth consideration!
ski holidays
if the weather is dull or snowing then you need goggles. You could wait until you get out there - don't buy if you get blue skies all week. This is a little unlikely in Dec/Jan.
snow report
jedster wrote:
if the weather is dull or snowing then you need goggles.

I don't think that dull/overcast weather means you HAVE to wear goggles - appropriate colour sunglasses are just as effective. If it's snowing then I think that's a different matter as even with sunglasses whichg curve around the side of your face you are still going to suffer from snowflakes in your eyes.
latest report
jedster wrote:
if the weather is dull or snowing then you need goggles. You could wait until you get out there - don't buy if you get blue skies all week. This is a little unlikely in Dec/Jan.

I must admit the weather is giving me a little cause for concern. We are in Zel Dec 17th onward. I think the plan so far is for a pass to include Zel and Kaprun. I just hope we get loads of snow and I have to wear goggles. wink
snow conditions
Renry, The goggles will be very useful if you go onto the glacier at Kaprun. The air can be very cold on a glacier and without goggles my eyes stream.
snow report
Also if you do ski at a fast speed then your eyes tend to water just wearing shades.
snow report
Scarpa, quite agree. I wear the same Oakley Persimmon lensed goggles from November till April. They are very good in low light and cut out the glare enough in bright sunlight.

I wasn't that keen on shelling out for Oakleys but when I compared the lenses to the other goggles in the shop there was no comparison in low light contrast.

One problem I always had with sunglasses is getting them clear again if I get a face full of snow Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

I don't think that dull/overcast weather means you HAVE to wear goggles - appropriate colour sunglasses are just as effective

I think that's right. I'm a little biased as I seem to have sensitive eyes. ANy sunnies that I find dark enough for really bright conditions are too gloomy when its grey and overcast. Also I like orange-ish lenses in goggles - they seem to provide better definition in flat light. Don't see many sunnies with that tint

J
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Quote:

I don't think that dull/overcast weather means you HAVE to wear goggles - appropriate colour sunglasses are just as effective

I think that's right. I'm a little biased as I seem to have sensitive eyes. ANy sunnies that I find dark enough for really bright conditions are too gloomy when its grey and overcast. Also I like orange-ish lenses in goggles - they seem to provide better definition in flat light. Don't see many sunnies with that tint

J

I'm the same, so I wear Oakley half-jacket sunglasses with interchangeable lenses: Persimmon (yellow) for flat light, and Ice Iridium (dark blue) for bright light. It's easy to carry the alternate set of lenses in my pocket, so if the weather changes during the day I can change lens colour without too much hassle.
snow conditions
A good quality lens is worth the money IMHO. I wear goggles all of the time. The main reasons for this is comfort and function, I've also been wearing a helmet for around 4 years, and sorry to say this but sunglasses and helmets look a little silly. I've also recently started wearing contact lenses which, having done a brief test, perform (comfort etc) a million times better when wearing goggles.

I have two lenses for my goggles a low-vis rose tinted lens and then a chrome rose lens for brighter conditions. I find that I usually end up wearing the rose lens from around December to mid Feb and the chrome lens for the rest of the season. Both lenses perform OK at either end of their useful spectrum, when I first got them I used to change lenses throughout the day but after breaking a few I can't be bothered now and tend to make a decision more or less on a daily basis.

I ski with a guy who wears sunnies when he can but wears his goggles on powder days and when the light is poor. He has Oakley Fire Iridium, IMO this is the most versatile lens you can buy performing superbly across a massive light spectrum.

If goggles are the way to go for you justifying that extra expense is easy, they last a long time and you only need one pair for almost all conditions.
ski holidays
Quote:

they last a long time and you only need one pair for almost all conditions.

yeah my googles were given to me by a guest when I worked a season in 1994! It's my oldest bit of kit. The elastic is a bit dodgy but I haven't replacement because I very rarely get any problems with misting up (have used quite expesive goggles which did mist up and you dont know until you use them).

Nowadays I wear a helmet most of the time and I agree sunglasses are not really an option with a helmet (unless you really dont care how you look). I may have to replace them soon.

J
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy