Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you think ??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning all

Both the wife and I took part in our first skiing trip at the beginning of the month and loved every second of it. By the end of the week we had completed 3 red runs, numorous blue runs and some great fun off piste (with a guide) and we had disposed of plough turns and moved well into parallel turns.

We have already started to look at next years trip and taking the kids (4 & 6) with us this time if they enjoy a couple of taster sessions we have booked at MK Snodome for them.

We purchased boots prior to leaving as we had loads of issues with hire boots during a 'learn in a day' session, blisters and cuts. We bit the bullet and decided to get them so we enjoyed the whole week rather than suffered with pain all week... and it worked Very Happy

Next question is ski's, we're both looking to purchase ski's that will help us progress to the next level and having done a little shopping around I've found the following;

Volkl Chiara + Volkl 4Motion binding 12/ 13 size 148 for the wife (She's 5"2 and 8 and a half stone)
Fischer Motive 76 + Fischer RS 11 Powerrail binding 12/ 13 size 154 for myself (I'm 5"8 and 11 and a half sone)

They seem to fit the bill but I would like some feedback on them if poss please or other suggestions

Thanking you in advance

Neil
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would go for longer lengths; for the wife up to 151, but certainly for yourself either 161 or 168 (also why not match the ski radii - not a big difference, but the volkl radius is only 14 against 17 for the Fischers so unless there is a big difference in skiing styles?).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can you test some of the skis/lengths whilst your children are at the Snodome?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MeMyselfandI wrote:
Can you test some of the skis/lengths whilst your children are at the Snodome?

We would only have an hour tops to do it.

We're both pretty confident at turns, speed (35mph+) we both get a bit twitchy Laughing

Would the extra length help with speed stability?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

We're both pretty confident at turns, speed (35mph+) we both get a bit twitchy

Would the extra length help with speed stability?

Did you really manage speeds of 35 mph after a week's skiiing from scratch, and only just learning to do parallel turns? And whilst on short beginner skis? Given that olympic level skiiers typically do 80mph, I have to confess to being a little bit suspicious.

But yes, a longer, stiffer ski would be able to help with ski stability at speed. And I would recommend at least 160cm for your ski length.

tb
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nellybear, how often do you envisage skiing, and how would you travel? If you fly for just one holiday a year, it's probably more economically to hire. If you are looking at skis to be used for more than a short time I'd agree you need longer lengths (yes, broadly speaking longer skis will be more stable at speed but a lot depends on the particular ski). If you expect to progress really quickly it might be best to hire for a bit longer. If you have money which is burning a hole in the pocket, earmark it for lessons. wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
what pam w makes sense
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We used the Ski tracks App Trueblu and it recorded 34.x mph on the last run of the last day. TBH I had no idea what speed we had achieved til we got back to base and checked the app (It was a straight run down the ski road, not an actual slope) and that was the top speed of the run... not average I must add !!!!!

We are planning one to two 'proper' trip away each year, but plenty of visits to MK or HH Snodomes.

So slightly longer would suit seems to be the common answer from here......
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The thing is that slightly longer would help with speed stability but shorter skis help make turning easier*. I'm another who thinks that pam w, as usual, makes sense.

*contrary to personal belief, I don't actually always know what I'm talking about but I'm sometimes pretty sure.

ETA - I've been skiing a long time and have done three weeks so far this season. I'm 176cm (just under 5'10) and 65kg (just over 10 stone) and have great fun skiing on Volkl Feugos which are only 158s.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fair enough Nb. Despite being very much an occasional (a few days to a week a year) skier, I bought skis relatively early on because I had bought boots for similar reasons to yourself and wife. I got cheap ex-rentals that were dirt cheap and suited me fine, since I am a cautious skier. I liked not having the hassle of renting, but if you are the 'aggressive/ rapid improver' type, which it sounds as if you are, it might be worthwhile holding off buying until your technique has improved a tad more, and then you can invest in some proper intermediate level skis.

tb
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good point Trueblu... The ski's I've mentioned fall into good beginner/bad inter ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've no idea -- I'm not competent enough to know skis well. I asked about some skis on here a few weeks ago and got very little response -- hope you have better luck.

However, I did get some cracking advice from a local ski shop in Cambridge (from whom I wasn't buying), and went ahead with the purchase of the Head icon TT500s I had my eye on from glisshop (50% off). Took them out yesterday (in Beijing!) and had a fantastic time on them, so very pleased overall. I decided to get 170cm skis -- am similar height and weight to you. Was worried since my former skis were 160cm, but I got on well with them.

As stated above, there is a philosophy of shorter piste skis, but overall, no regrets.

tb

PS I also upgraded my boots, and that was probably even more significant. After one season, you probably won't want to do that yet!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No... only had them for 6 days use.... did have the heated custom fitting each so they should last more than a season.... !!!!!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy