Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flapping ski

Poster: A snowHead
Problem that I only have on steeps....the black that runs back to Arabba is the prime example. When turning left I have no problem....however, when turning right my left ski flaps and vibrates like mad.....any suggestions ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Smokin Joe, put more weight on it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swap your skis over wink

Or, replicate your good turn on the other side
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Smokin Joe, is your ski maybe buckled, once happened to me, ski had landed on end and buckled, very slightly but enough to make it flap! Solution - a new pair!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Markymark29, like your thinking but I swopped skis and it still happens...getting further forward with more weight is the next step me thinks.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I third 'more weight' suggestion. If you feel you are putting weight on it (I was still getting it when lifting my uphill ski off) then it may be worthwhile working out if left calf is tighter than the right. I have that problem in reverse and my left turns tend to be 'flappy' because I'm not flexing enough at the ankle. Extra stretches on that side help a lot.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Smokin Joe wrote:
Markymark29, like your thinking but I swopped skis and it still happens...getting further forward with more weight is the next step me thinks.

Try pulling/sliding the left foot back a little.

Get someone to make a short clip of you skiing and try to work out what you are doing asymmetrically.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Insufficient inner ski tip lead.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jbob wrote:
Smokin Joe, put more weight on it.

+1 and weight it early in the turn. Hard to say whether you need to put more forward pressure on or not, got any video???
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Smokin Joe, I have found that problem on fast flat Schuss sections, what seems to solve it on those occasions is a conscious effort to weight the flapping ski which is what the others have suggested above. If it works on the flat it might also work on the steeps - though I imagine on the steeps there might be rather more to be concentrating on in the first instance than weighting a specific ski!! Laughing .
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Smokin Joe, Don't go climbing on plastic cows. wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't turn so quickly. You ski is pointing accross the slope as your fat ass moves down the slope at pace
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is it a heavy juddering, in the second half of the turn? Might be too much pressure, so you'd need to be a bit softer with that leg to absorb the excess pressure (or tip the ski with more edge angle so it grips more, but runs much faster which might not be what you're looking to do on a black piste).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:

Try pulling/sliding the left foot back a little

Out of interest why would you want to possibly promote more counter, when he's already probably struggling to get early pressure on his left ski?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pies
snow report
gatecrasher wrote:
DB wrote:

Out of interest why would you want to possibly promote more counter, when he's already probably struggling to get early pressure on his left ski?

To me flapping is associated with higher speed GS turns. I thought maybe he was not over the left ski properly while making a right turn and was pressuring the tail end of the ski more leaving the tip light, which was then flapping at speed.

rob@rar's comments have got me thinking maybe it's just judder.

He could also try sliding the right foot back Toofy Grin

Smokin Joe - is it flapping at higher speeds or judder with slower shorter turns?
snow report
 cran
cran
Get new skis...
ski holidays
Megamum, and I have exactly what you describe . I consciously put the weight on as you say and feel unnaturally awkward as a result. I guess I have to unlearn my failure to evenly weight but would welcome anyone elses views !
ski holidays
DB, happens on both
snow report
Smokin Joe,

It could be for a whole host of reasons

Alignment, edge angles, pressue coming on/off too late in the turn, body rotation, etc.

For edge angles ......

http://youtube.com/v/iUuCWQ_2WOo

http://youtube.com/v/bYssESAI_Ew

You could also try skiing on the left leg only on easier terrain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/8198798/Carving-ski-techniques-Advanced-one-leg-skiing.html
snow report
[quote="DB"]
gatecrasher wrote:
DB wrote:

He could also try sliding the right foot back Toofy Grin

DB, Laughing

Haha, if he slides em both back that might just work. Or he could just start each of his runs a fraction later then planned and they'd be both back from where they would have been if he'd started off earlier, sorted! Laughing

Could also be judder caused by jamming on all of the pressure at the end of the turn, instead of distributing it more evenly over the whole turn. Confused
ski holidays
Smokin Joe, basically, I think they're saying you're a rubbish skier Laughing .
snow conditions
I think it's ESF's fault your skis judder. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Smokin Joe,

You might also be A framing on one side. Here's another drill ......

http://youtube.com/v/9muhMyEnhF0
snow report
maggi, I know I'm rhubarb...it's just for fun and the craic... Laughing
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Don't turn so quickly. You ski is pointing accross the slope as your fat ass moves down the slope at pace

And the winner is......... Laughing

I few notches tighter on the ski boots has also made a massive difference to my skiing......simple things, big difference.
ski holidays
Commit, get outa the back seat.
snow conditions
CH2O wrote:

+100

Body/weight management, yo (which is what everyone has pretty much already told you). In the past, I've been notorious for being in the backseat (and still usually am when I start to get tired)! Having your weight on the front of the skis makes a very noticeable difference.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
c0Ka|Ne wrote:
CH2O wrote:

+100

Body/weight management, Having your weight on the front of the skis makes a very noticeable difference.

Having it largely centered with little micro adjustments either side feels even better! wink
snow report
Haha...alright, alright, if you if you want to be pedantic about it!! snowHead

But very true, lateral is just as important as fore/aft Very Happy
ski holidays
Yep agree, lateral balance is good too, can really help with all that falling over stuff! Laughing Little Angel
snow conditions
Smokin Joe, ...er I think it's a familiar problem associated with the edge grabbing, letting go, grabbing in quick cycle ie judder. This tends to be associated with insufficient consistent weighting of the edge, in the zone under the forefoot. Often the solution is slightly more flex in the lower body, conscious pressure under the forefoot rather than weight forward - ie more vertical loading of the ski, with flexion in the ankle. Common problem in those just beginning to really hold the edge in the turn, and if it is overcome by attaining the perfect balance position and more weighting of the edge, then the skier is really getting the hang of real carving.
snow report
It's all to do with your ski jacket....you need an orange one with blue trousers....those dressed like that never have flapping skis
snow conditions
valais2, how would I add more flex to my lower body???
snow conditions
rungsp, Blue trousers are..."so yesterday afternoon"

yellow's where it's at! wink
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
valais2, how would I add more flex to my lower body???

Stroh 80 does it for me. Toofy Grin
snow report
As DB said, I think that it could be for a number of reasons. I had the same issue in December, but on my left turns - right hand ski was doing the grip-slide-grip-slide thing like crazy out of the turn - to the point of throwing me into a fall. After a number of wipe outs and a lot of frustration, I realised (should have been obvious) that post a right knee injury in October, I was favouring the weak knee - that is simply not pushing it over and angulating enough to get the edge in properly. I was also subconsciously "saving" the knee by pulling the ski back, meaning that weight was not centred over my boot properly and helping to get the edge in; compounding my problem.

I lapped the iron horse run in Northstar, Tahoe about 10 times before I worked out what I was doing wrong. To quote the liftie at the bottom chair "putting in some hot laps there, man!"

It took a knee brace, physiotherapy (over the whole season) and a damned good ski instructor to correct (I was demoralised as somehow my skiing was getting worse, and I wasn't even drunk!). kept my knees moving together, and made a real effort to lean out down the hill too to get my hips to help my edge angles too! But in the absence of injury, check your knee angulation when you turn. You'll get away with it when cruising around on blues, but steeper runs will quickly show you a problem. Are your knees moving together? Are you varying the distance between your skis when you turn? And weight-wise, are you moving a ski backwards or forwards?

Just a suggestion - one from this season's experience. It's not all about weight - could be angle of edge too...

Or you could just have had too much Jaeger at lunch time. It happens. Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy