Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Things you hate about chalet holidays! Ski Val-ue-less!!!!!!!!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Don't you just love them................. or not?

I thought I'd got a real bargain with the Chalet Loori, St Anton at Feb Half-Term for £499. TO .............. Ski Val-ue-Less

Staffed by clueless standby chalet hosts, devoid of any food hygiene, I can honestly say the meals were "finger-licking-good".

The outstanding Chalet Manager really did get things better, and all praise to her, but the atmosphere between the two (just out of teenage years) chalet seasonnaires (neither of them a "host") impacted at meal times.

The website brochure was quite impressive for a small independent TO, but in reality the cuisine, wines, comfort, and general cleanliness left a lot to be desired. Souless bedrooms, tiny/cupboard sized boot room with no boot dryer, doubling up as the only place to store skis, no bench to sit on when putting ski boots on really summed up the attention to detail.

The flights were good, on time, 2 hour transfer from Freidrichshaven, and with the lion's share of other peoples wonderful children, I cannot complain about the journey at all. I just hope all those unfortunate not to get their bags at baggage reclaim at Friedrichshaven airport got them delivered fast enough not to spoil more than a couple of days skiing.

My beef????? .................................

Why on earth do TO's put in place kids that can't? BTW, one of our chalet boys never made it to the end of the week, him being sacked (quite rightly) for bad atitude and not turning up to prepare breakfast a couple of mornings after late night partying.

But the worst thing........................ the Focker family.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 27-02-13 22:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

thought I'd got a real bargain with the Chalet Loori, St Anton at Feb Half-Term for £499.

you got what you paid for. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Everything, I would NEVER go on chalet holiday, it's self catering all the way for me........sitting beside people I don't like and having to speak to those same people all week is my idea of a nightmare BUT if the Swedish netball team were looking for 1 more to make up the numbers then MAYBE but otherwise, no!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The best thing - they keep plebs out of nice hotels
The worst thing - those people breed
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, Very Happy Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

thought I'd got a real bargain with the Chalet Loori, St Anton at Feb Half-Term for £499.

you got what you paid for. wink

Some of the guests paid over £1000, the full price was £1199.

I see your point.................................................................. not! wink

TO sells discounted holiday but tells no one about discounted/quality/service/scivvies!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller, ................... perfick! Madeye-Smiley

Last thing I expected was ................................... to meet The Fockers!! Skullie
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimastaaah, you got what you paid for - the guests who paid over £1000 didn't. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, point taken.

But the question remains as to just why do TO's do this?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Best chalet food hygiene I've experienced was the host turning the grillades and slices of raclette on the hot plate for us. With his own fork. That had been in his mouth.

Yes, thanks for that mate. So.. about that pizza delivery company you mentioned earlier in the week...

That said I do like being cooked for, so long as the chalet hosts aren't disgusting layabouts like the aforementioned.

Would never ever just book a room though. Sole occupancy and a big group of mates every time. But then again, I've got more friends than most people have. I realize it's not so easy for some of the rest of you.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimastaaah wrote:
pam w, point taken.

But the question remains as to just why do TO's do this?

Because they can and they know the glossy brochure will bring a whole new batch of mug punters in next year.

BTW they are not all the same.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Why on earth do TO's put in place kids that can't?

Because they pay tuppence a week and that's what applies for the job. Der.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can find bad food/service/other guests anywhere, not just a chalet. As long as the ambience is there, the other guests are nice (and they generally tend to be), the food is plentiful and edible, the rooms are clean, warm and en-suite and the staff are friendly and helpful, I have no quibbles. Generally speaking I prefer hotels to chalets, they just seem to offer more privacy and tend to feel less 'British' (it's a foreign holiday after all), but a nice chalet with friends and good food is fine by me.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went on my first one in December and have to say I really enjoyed it mainly because of the other people who were staying there.
There was quite a mix of people (two of us in our mid 30s, 4 guys in their mid 20s, a middle aged couple with their three teenage sons and another couple in their 40s) but everyone got on really well. I have no complaints about the staff or the food either.

I can imagine it being Hell if you're stuck with people you don't particularly like however.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
one of the things about hotels is that you never see what goes on in the kitchen....
snow report
I've only ever stayed in two chalets, both in Courchevel 1850, where we (3-4 families) had booked it out as a group. Quite enjoyed it, apart from the team projectile vomiting on the second occasion.
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
I've only ever stayed in two chalets, both in Courchevel 1850, where we (3-4 families) had booked it out as a group. Quite enjoyed it, apart from the team projectile vomiting on the second occasion.

That'll be the "finger-licking-good" food prepared by the teenage chalet chef who's got a GCSE/BTEC in grub-prep/toilet hygiene!
snow conditions
swiftoid, You never met the Fockers then?
ski holidays
I've done 3 chalet holidays now and can honestly say i like them. It does really help if you get on with the other people staying in the chalet. Last year we stayed in a cystal chalet with 12 other people, there were 4 groups of people and after the second day i couldnt tell you who belong to whos group becuase everyone just got on like a house on fire (still in tocuh with them). The young hosts were great, the food was good not fine dining but still above average and it was great.

This year i went to la plagne for a week on my own and got a late deal with Ice and Fire, the hosts in this chalet were a bit older about my age (30s) and they'd done 3 seasons before. It really made a difference, i think it helps if the hosts are of similar age. Again got on well with everyone, in fact we hooked up with our hosts on their day off for a ski (Note to ESF this was not guiding lol)

I'll be host i'm a quite a private person and on paper i dont like the ideal of chalets but somehow it works. Very Happy
snow conditions
skimastaaah, maybe you could tell us about the Fockers then wink.
latest report
Having to share things with people like me.

snowHead
snow report
skimastaaah wrote:
swiftoid, You never met the Fockers then?

Very Happy

Not in a chalet but, yes, on a campsite in Norfolk last summer. This'll probably sound made up but I swear they turned up in a campervan the size of a bus with 'The Fockers' emblazoned on the front and parked right beside my tent (no need, plenty of other places they could have parked) and proceeded to setup their tables, music system and badminton net right in front of my door then continued being extremely loud and annoying. I was rather annoyed but least I had the luxury of being able to move with relative ease.
snow report
Only done chalets 3 times, twice when we were in a group taking over the whole chalet & once when 4 of us were in a chalet that slept 20. Always been looked after really well, the first one was fantastic & made even better by great hosts! As a coeliac who need a gluten free diet I find the chalets have gone out of their way to cater for me & even made great cakes for afternoon tea. Toofy Grin
This years in Meribel in January was for a friends 40th & 12 of us took over a chalet so it really was a great house party Very Happy Very Happy
I thought I'd struggle in the large chalet when only 4 of us went as I'm not good at making small talk but it was good-maybe we were lucky with the other folk we got!
I certainly think they're bettervalue for money (or the ones we've had have been) but I still like the flexibility of self catering where I can be as sociable or unsociable as I want Laughing
ski holidays
Can only ever imagine a chalet holiday shared with people I know. Ok, it could be fine and you could have a very nice sociable time making new friends etc etc but..... why would I want to take that risk on a holiday that is both expensive and precious Shocked
Self-catering or even better, self-catering with access to bar +/- evening food if you want Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
A shared coach transfer with some godawful saaaf laaandan caaants to Meribel has ensured I will never risk a holiday with 'randoms', ever. Not ever.
snow report
Chalets all the way - everytime! Have been doing chalets for many years now - 2-3 holidays per year - can honestly say have never had a bad one. Once went self catering - never again - too much hard work - and cost more than a chalet holiday. Have never come across anyone to dislike - can honestly say have had some fabulous hosts over the years.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK - as with all holidays - dont just book it and hope for the best - do some research!
I guess I am lucky, I am always part of a group, usually anywhere between 6 to 12 of us. But ..... if we are a small group going into a large chalet I will always ask how the other rooms are filled (presuming that info is available). I would not want to be in a chalet with a group of kids who want to party all night - but yes that is a chance you take!

I have just booked my son and his 7 friends into a chalet - I know there will be a couple there - I did advise the TO the boys will be coming in late etc etc - it would be fair to advise the couple (presuming they are older) poss give them the chance to move to another chalet??

I always stay with smaller 'family run' type companies - they really do seem to care more for their clients.
snow conditions
Both chalet holidays I have had have been brilliant. Both bargain basement last minute deals. 1 in Sweden with Neilson, clean, decent layout, great host, plenty hot water, lovely sauna 50m from the white and fluffy stuff.The other with Alpine elements in VDI, huge chalet, great staff, clean shoebox to sleep in but as plenty of room to lounge about in the bar or breakfast room this was no issue, courtesy bus shuttle to and from the slopes, staff had great attitude to their work and constantly smiling. A couple of times when meeting them on the slopes during their time off they offered assistance carrying skis on/off gondola (I am disabled and unsteady on my feet) which they didn't need to do but just proves their attitude. Very Happy
ski holidays
Only ever book a chalet if you have a group of friends who can ski to fill it. Organised many Chalet holidays with friends and had a great time(s). Except for one holiday in Plagne 1800, nice chalet, very very poor host. Poor hygiene standards, poor cook, not enough for every one at a meal time food couldnt/didnt clean. had to complain to the resort manager to get a decent meal, and a wtitten complaint when we got back. Was offered discount vouchers but told them (Crys tal) we wouldnt book with them again and got £50.00 pp back
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Piehole, I wonder if they were the same bunch of caaaanntts that were on my coach to Val Di Fassa this year? My friend and I both quietly cheered when they got off at a different chalet to ours.
latest report
Minion1980, our caaaants piled onto the return coach journey reeking of booze, proudly farting, uncontrollably swearing, and fighting each other. It's one of the closest I've ever been to just punching someone in the face in blind anger.
latest report
Minion1980, Naaaaaaaaaaah................these Fockers wore 1980's yellow one-pieces and had loud pre-pubescent opinions that black-holed the dining table.

Apart from the daughter....................... there was a 16 year old pre-GCSE Foundation genetic clone of his dad. Sadly!
snow report
I have always been happy with Chalet holidays. But they are always booked last minute and I pay as little as possible.

A lot of the companies don't do themselves favours with the way they promote the properties, but also it seems like the punters need to be more realistic. Sure if you pay 1k (full price) for something without knowing any better then I thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping the TO survive and letting me go on the cheap when they can't sell certain weeks.

If you are paying only 499 for one of the peak weeks of the season, for flights, transfers accom and food (however average it maybe) then perhaps you need to be more realistic?
snow conditions
kioksor, ................... like the salmonella inducing finger licking chalet chef?

BTW..................... I got great skiing!

BTW...................... with the amount of dosh I saved I could afford to eat out most nights!

BTW............. I did!
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
skimastaaah, maybe you could tell us about the Fockers then wink.

How much time you got?????????????????

One 18 year-old girlie with an ego measured in "bangs" (ie.......... THE bang), and she with a sotto voce that was never "sotto".
One Foundation GCSE laddie ......................... a clone of his Pa, buth that may be a tad too "harsh" on the boy!

All three on the ASC. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Quote:

kioksor, ................... like the salmonella inducing finger licking chalet chef?

Not sure, not that I noticed. No sickness noted. Quality of food has certainly varied.

more importantly however, what was the wine like?
ski holidays
Sounds fine for £499.

We paid a little less one Easter and got a similar service from Skiworld. So our host was as bad as yours, but it was also his last week of the season. I think had it have been any other point in the season he'd have got the sack. The chalet was a poo-poo hole, long way from the lifts....... But because we paid next to nothing for it we weren't too fussed. Had a great weeks skiing.

Mr Piehole, Minion1980, I think we had the plum voiced middle class version of your lot on our last flight. Loud but talking in a "we're considerably richer than yaow" manner about Sebastian's wood burner. Couldn't control their kids. When we found they were in the same resort as us we were dreading it, but they got a private transfer and headed to different accommodation thankfully.
snow report
Quote:
what was the wine like?

just like hungarian meths!!!!!!!!!!!! Skullie
snow report
i take it you'll be going Chalet catered next year skimastaaah Laughing
latest report
If you go with anything TUI, seriously what do you expect. I think anything that can be bought from a mainstream travel agent on a budget will be much the same.

I have been with Colletts and Mark Warner loads of times and have always had a good experience. The staff are obviously hand picked very carefully and have always been very pleasant and eager to please, I suppose they are thinking about the end of week tip. Never I have come across the "Sarf London Cants" type. But on my last trip with Colletts a few weeks ago there was more than the usual pretentious middle class types, who made sure everyone knew what a fantastic career they had. Made us laugh on staff night off when we ended up in the same restaurant, they all had just a Pizza and 2 carafes of wine between 13 Shocked . I think all the talk was hot air and I doubt any of them had a pot to pi$$ in if the truth be known.
ski holidays
skimastaaah,

Cripes.. sounds like you've gripped the sh1tty end of the stick every time Sad

Every time we've done a chalet deal it has been fine....Always last min. £280 up to £450.

Fellow guests have always been good company except Jan 2012 when we encountered a very strange lady who was a "personal fitness trainer" Imagine a female Bond movie villain/Nazi. Apart from her all good.
Compared with self catering which works out more hassle, more stress, more expense and less fun.......well?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy