Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long is too long for a ski jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey! My first post, and it might seem a bit mundane but...

I just bought a North Face Amongstit Parka style ski coat. I'm aware it's not the best ski coat and perhaps puts fashion slightly over function. BUT as a student I'm pretty tight for money and if I'm spending a lot of money I ideally want a ski jacket that I would enjoy wearing off the slopes as a normal coat during winter/when camping etc. Its unlikely I will go skiing again this year or maybe even next so I can't afford to spunk a hundred odd quid on something I wont use again for months and months.

I'm quite short (5ft 7 I guess) and even though it's a size Small it comes down to about mid-thigh. It fits on the shoulders, arms and chest fine. It doesn't feel like its going to restrict mobility, but I haven't been skiing for about 8 years since I was 13-14 so I really can't gauge whether it will restrict movement/be a nuisance at that length rather than cutting off just below the waist.

Has anyone had any problems wearing a long coat? Or perhaps noted the benefits?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jacket at mid-thigh.. just make sure your pants/trousers are around the knee and you'll fit right in at the park Wink

should be okay.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Team coaches regularly wear boot length ski coats, so buy an Audi badge stick it on fit right in.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
While I'm pretty sure I'm having the mickey taken out of me here, all these reference points are just going over my head as I haven't been on the slopes for years! Thanks for the input anyways. Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bill_stickers, Welcome to snowHead 's
The ESF instructors have foul weather coats that come down nearly to their boots.
I am sure if they were being impeded they wouldnt wear them.

Hope you have a great trip.

Many years ago i had a Stone Island military style coat that i skied in, went to just above my knees. Dont worry about it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It'll be fine, just be careful getting of drag lifts.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cynic, Laughing Laughing

bill_stickers, If it does not restrict mobility than it is the right size
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
feef wrote:
jacket at mid-thigh.. just make sure your pants/trousers are around the knee and you'll fit right in at the park

bill_stickers wrote:
all these reference points are just going over my head as I haven't been on the slopes for years!

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

The ESF instructors have foul weather coats that come down nearly to their boots.
But they still look plonkers, even with their superior skiing ability. I hate to think what I would look like in one!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

puts fashion slightly over function. BUT as a student I'm pretty tight for money

that, my friend, is a contradiction in terms and threrin you problem lies.

I spanked a lot of money on a BMW skiing jacket back in the day which was a bit longer than I would normally wear for the same reason - I though I could get away with it off the slope as well (wasn't parka long tho'). I wore it in St Anton and got a lot of interest. I'm not saying any of the ladeeze were gold diggers per se but the number of questions I got about how big a discount I got and did that extend to 'friends. 'Close' friends' was .... surprising. The thing is black with leather patches all over the place . It is quite high tec so I like wearing it but I keep getting the feeling that it makes me look like I should be wearing matching driving gloves on the slopes and front the UK BMW drivers club.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bill_stickers is innocent!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I saw a couple of people wearing boot length coats in Les Arcs this year. They were not instructors and they had a big Rosignol logo across the back. They looked ridiculous.

Quote:

so I can't afford to spunk a hundred odd quid on something I wont use again for months and months.

Crass choice of words, by the way.

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
palumbex wrote:

Crass choice of words, by the way.

I do apologise, the language from my student house tends to rub off online.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy