Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late skiing for beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We went skiing for the first in March last year and really loved it. We were really looking forward to going again this year, but my son injured his his knee/thigh in November and was told to stop all sports totally for 6 months. That put a stop to the planned skiing holiday!!! He should be fully mobile again in mid May.

I am totally new to sking and obviously don't know resorts and areas. I assume mid to late May is too late to try and get a sneaky trip in. I guess there may be some very high glacier skiing available but would that be suitable for a family (2 of whom are a little nervous) who only have a weeks skiing under their belt?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, or am I going to have to delay my late introduction to skiing for a further year.

Thanks for the help. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
newby, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead May is too late for most resorts but although glaciers sound intimidating, glacier skiing can be perfectly suitable for relative beginners. I've only been to two - Tignes and Les Deux Alpes, but either would be fine. There are other glacier areas which other people could advise you on.

It's not the same as a winter holiday - you tend to get up there early, and finish around mid day when the snow gets slushy, with other activities (or a siesta) in the afternoon.

The key thing will be finding the right ski tuition for you all. I'd not recommend just cruising around - the areas are limited and it would be much more productive and enjoyable to have lessons. In Les Deux Alpes you could get in touch with Charlotte Swift (easiski.com) who is an independent British ski instructor, and a very good one. She would have some useful suggestions both about lessons and accommodation as well as optimum timing for that sort of holiday.

I'd be inclined to go in June, I think, when the valleys and lower areas will be full of flowers. Plenty of good walking and other sports including mountain biking, canoeing, archery, etc etc. If you went to Zell am See in Austria, you might be able to get lessons up on the glacier, which is an easy drive, but I can't tell you anything about skiing in that neck of the woods. Zell is very beautiful though - a good base.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
newby, my opinion fwiw is to leave it until next year. a) because as pam says summer glacier skiing is a little different and b) to give your son plenty of time to fully recover. I think you will have more fun and get more bang for your bucks waiting. Frustrating as I know that is Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Deux Alpes doesn't open for the summer season until 22nd June so you wouldn't be able to ski there in May (it closes for the winter on 27th April). Tignes is open a little longer but is closed from 13th May to 21st June. So that's France done for.

Hintertux or Stubai in Austria (there may be others open there too) will be open in late May as will Zermatt in Switzerland.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the responses. I took your advice and, frustrating as it was, waited and have been lurking around desperate to get out since. You were right to advise caution, my son didn't get the doctor's all clear until August.

So we went to Belle Plagne for the week before Christmas and absolutely loved it. We did the drive and self catering thing in the hope that we can get another sneaky one in Feb or early April this year (Mrs N permitting, she does "do cold" and is quite happy to have peace and quiet at home).

We had lessons with Oxygene and we all, son daughter and myself, come on in leaps and bounds compared to our previous holiday (I couldn't recommend them highly enough). Son now happy on any Red, me happy with "easy reds", daughter still anxious but will tackle any blue. Isn't it funny how colours make a difference to how you approach an unknown piste.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I am already looking at Feb/April so I will be still be lurking, but more communicative in future.

Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy