Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon CS boots - Heated?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I had some Salomon CS boots fitted today but had no heat treatment of the shell or liner. With them being custom shell/liner, when exactly should I have had these done?

Is it a case of getting the liner heated to fit my feet at the start and then heat the shell if needed from pressure/pain later?

This is my first pair or non hire boots, so some advice would be greatly appreciated on what should be done when.

Thank you

James
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
j4mesj4mes, It depends do the fit as it is?

Process is Shell is heated in an oven and boots closed on your feet for 15-20 minutes until they are cool

Liners heated by another machine clamped into shell for again 15 min or so boots fitted!

Get custom soles go see Colin otherwise known as CEM on here.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It feels a bit too tight at the moment and a bit painful but ive only been able to get a few hours in on the indoor slope so far.

I thought having the liner heated might help the fitting slightly? And then only heat the shell if there are still further pain?

Very new to this so might be way out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
j4mesj4mes wrote:
.....I had some Salomon CS boots fitted today but had no heat treatment of the shell or liner.....

More like someone sold you some boots today but didn't actually fit them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
j4mesj4mes, get them heat moulded.

I bought Salomon Quest 120 boots recently from Snow & Rock. Did not have them done at the time. Went away for a week and regretted it.

They've since been done.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
j4mesj4mes, Where did you get them from and did you pay a fee greater than the price of the boots?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
j4mesj4mes, they should have been done when you bought them, free as part of the fiiting service, although you don't say where they are too tight? Is it an area of the forefoot that is covered by the CS plastic? If so get them done straight away - there's nothing really to be gained by waiting to do the shell later; if it should feel a bit loose after a few weeks skiing you can refit them again to shrink it back down. Go back and tell them to do the job properly. The liner will also bed down over time just with body heat but having them heated in the shop speeds up the process.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The shell doesn't need fitting if the BF deems otherwise, however, if it hurts go back and get it done.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was from S&R and no extra cost. I was led to believe that skiing in them first would give a better idea of where hurt etc before then going back to mould if needed.

Having come form hire boots, these were generally quite tight everywhere, so might need to get used to this. But the overly tight bit was on the outside of my foot, where I believe the CS plastic covers. I got the impression that they were weary about heating the shell as this could make it too big and it was something that could not be shrunk back down.

But heating the liner first might give me a better idea?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
j4mesj4mes, I'll expand a bit (excuse the pun!) on what I said earlier and will also add that I have a pair of Impact 10CS boots and am a massive advocate of the technology. They were my 5th pair of boots in 10 years and the first ones ever to not hurt me and cause me endless problems.

The liner is only supposed to be done at the end as a finishing touch to the boot fitting process and for the area you're talking about will make no difference - there's almost no 'give' in the outside sections of the forefoot, it's mainly in the ankle area. Some people don't advocate doing the liner at all as it's seen to speed up the degradation process and therefore shorten it's useful life. IME it will take about 6 weeks of skiing to fully pack down naturally if you don't have it done.

I don't understand the bootfitter's logic in waiting to do the shell. The principle behind CS is that the fitting process automatically adjusts BOTH sides of the boot at the same time to perfectly fit the shape and width of each foot and also automatically centre your foot in the boot. So he will not be treating the specific area of the boot that you say hurts (unless you're already at the maximum CS stretch and need even more width but that's not the case here).

This is a massive improvement on the traditional stretching techniques which unless done by the very best only focus on the specific area. If this is the outside of the foot and only that section is stretched then effectively you're rotating your foot slightly outside the centreline of the boot and the ski, which affects your skiing control, comfort level and puts additional pressure on your joints.

There's nothing to be gained by not doing the shell because if your foot's not wider than the boot last it won't stretch - it'll just stay the same width. My own feet vary in width by 4-5mm and it's obvious if you look at my boots that the right one is much wider than the left - but inside the pressure feels the same on both. If you do the CS fitting process and nothing changes all you've lost is half an hour of your time - but you could gain much improved comfort and control so there's no downside.

Lastly, if you don't trust the bootfitter you can fit them yourself very easily at home using boiling water (which I've done in resort a couple of times when my feet have swollen up with altitude/dehydration etc).

This is the original manual http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=salomon%20impact%2010cs%20manual&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.salomoncertification.com%2Fmanuals%2F2009.CUSTOMSHELL.USER.GUIDE.FINAL.pdf&ei=JfUtUdm3Kauq0AWMuYAQ&usg=AFQjCNG1FMsHZvhfz8_SulnrvxNF2MU-yA&bvm=bv.42965579,d.d2k

Follow the instructions on the last page. Take the liners out before putting the shells in hot water. Do up the ankle/shin clips but not the foot clips. Walk around in them gently for 20 mins to let them cool down, don't flex too much. If you've got a proper footbed, fit that in the liner first. Do both of them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you, that is some really useful advice. I will go back and get the shell and liner heated.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy