Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting to Scottish ski areas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, there seems to be a lot of coverage of how good Scottish ski areas can be.

I've always assumed it was easier to get to a French/Italian/etc resort on a plane (I'm nr Bristol).

What's the deal with the Scot areas? How far from and airport etc, or is it a drive all the way job?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
martinm, for you, the simple way is the easyJet from Bristol to Inverness then hire a car - you'll be in your hotel in under the hour. I tend to book hotel via booking.com or just direct. It's a very simple journey unless the A9 is dumped upon.

Or, I have done it by sleeper from London or I have driven many times but now prefer the speed and simplicity of air (I sometimes have a business reason to go up that way so it becomes mainly expenses-paid sliding ) snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
martinm, none of the Scottish ski areas are really a resort. like you are used to in France or Italy. Yes, they have the odd cafe and restaurant, but they don't have residential accommodation anywhere near where the skiing is. You have to find rooms in nearby towns and villages.
How about getting there? Well, for Val Thorens (EOSB resort), the flight to Geneva is easy, but then its a 3 hour coach ride. Edinburgh airport is a similar distance from Glenshee or Aviemore - its just there are no firms running "transfers". You can get the train to Aviemore and then a bus out to the ski area - don't know how good the service is.
The best bet is drive - about 10 hours from Bristol.
Is it worth it? If the conditions are good (like now): most definitely.
The experience is quite unlike the alps. The weather and scenery is arctic rather than alpine. The sun goes down early, if it bothers to get up at all. It is often windy. On dark grungy mid winter days there is an over-riding sensation of ancient foreboding, much like the Hobbits felt in Fangorn.
(I'm spoilt: was brought up in Scotland and my step-mum lives in Blair Atholl, about an hour from Aviemore or Glenshee.)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy