Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dilemma or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some know that this idiot is contemplating next season on't snow . . . before it's too late and I'm dribbling into my diapers. . .

At the same time, do summat to improve and 'perhaps' use my sliding. Anyway the instruction team offer a significant discount off their preferred ski the Salomon 24 Hours . . . though a late Summer price anywhere will be very good. However . . .

I've far too much kit of too many varieties that I need to get rid of yet still keep the ability to ski tele or alpine . . . ignore how, I'll show you another day . . . so I'm looking at the Salomon xt800 or the K2 AMP Charger as alternatives to the 24Hr as both are available 'flat' for my own bindings.

Now, I've no real experience of either of these ski shapes or manufacturers so feel free to wade in with your thoughts.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From memory the 24 hrs a year or so back were mainly a piste orientated ski, behaved like a very detuned cruisey slalom ski with a v slightly larger turn radius, well behaved and easy going flex, for a 11.5 -12 stoner!

The xt800s have a bit of rocker and I'd say very marginally stiffer but still not particularly stiff. Between these two I would opt for the xt800 as they are probably more versatile, I've got a set of 850s, great as long as I'm not expected to ski non stop all day. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gatecrasher, I got the feeling they want us all on easy turning identically performing piste skis so that us L1s get the idea of 'proper' carving and easy hook and ride into GS turns. Pretty certain I'd be bored stiff of the boogers in a couple of days but then I'll be using them for lots of balance and control skills practice.

I did wonder about the 850s as I do really love to drive a ski and the last time I had my own short skis I was very heavy at well over 100kg. However I will be 40+kg lighter by the time I'll be on the course and I wonder if I'll have the mass to push that hard in the race training prep for Eurotest/TT*. What are the 850s tails like? I do use quite a lot of fore/aft movement over the centre to punch out (snowboard habit) of the carve.

Thanks for your thoughts.

*caveat . . . training is not the same as actually doing . . . I'm not that stupid/cocky/insane/in love . . . yet wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque, I find the 850s have plenty of pop in the tails if you load them at the right time even in short turns, others have said they are heavy and a bit damp, they are very smooth, for short periods with a few pauses here and there (with family etc.) I find them great fun, edges that don't let go, with my weight/lack of ability/fitness I have to put a lot into them on steeper slopes to get the turn shape I prefer, so gets a bit knackering if I'm on a boys trip.."those bug9ers never stop for a rest", I would probably opt for the 800s given the choice in those circumstances, now if they did the 850 geometry with the 800 stiffness they would be even more versatile imo.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gatecrasher, Thank you, very insightful since I would also sliding tele on them I'll stick with the thought of the 800s as the preferred option. Now I wonder who's slid on the K2 Chargers.

Cheers again, John
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque,

The 24Hr or similar for your BASI course.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with that regarding the 24hr for purely training on, another one to throw in there would be the Rossignol z76 ti, I've never been a big fan of the Rossi's with the past zenith skis, but these were fantastic turny, grippy fun ski's on hardpack, definitely one to try if you get the chance.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 23-02-13 21:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stewart woodward, can't find 24Hrs for sale 'flat'. The Enduro 800s are only a tiny % proportionally wider and with turn radius virtually the same so at the moment they are my preferred ski. The 24Hr aren't mandatory Snoworx BASI tools but I can see how they want a level playing field. I've no intent to cause either myself or them any handicap by using Dynatech bindings and I'll not do anything unilaterally.
Thanks for your input.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
New kit is never a dilemma.

It just needs buying.

Enjoy Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy