Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PLUM BRAKES.

Poster: A snowHead
Those interested, this is finally how they they'll work. X Wing Fighter Stylee

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They're on the front! Hnn.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zero-G, so are mine on my NTNs . . . in fact on my next skis I could have brakes front and rear Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd be concerned that forward-facing brakes might get snagged in heather and other random stuff. Probably just my paranoia & I'm sure the folks @ Plum had thought about that when they designed them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
moffatross, Thinking about it, forward facing brakes are probably ideal for putting yer skis on . . . heather and other random stuff Shocked lord you bases must be boogered wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
moffatross, my first ever brakes were retro fitted front facing ones on Salomon S222s. Yes, heather was the cause of many park and fly events...

Maybe the Plum ones tuck a bit more out of the way?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
Yes, heather was the cause of many park and fly events...

Maybe the Plum ones tuck a bit more out of the way?

Yep, I think they'd need to wouldn't they. Here's my Dynabrakes and they look like they'd be proper snaggy if they were pointed forward.

Masque wrote:
heather and other random stuff Shocked lord you bases must be boogered wink

Mid tour and where the snow ran out at the end of a Moffat hills outing about 10 days ago, this is some of the stuff I'm thinking of. Heather, gorse, bailing string, rock etc. No, none of it is kind to bases but you slide when you can slide. Laughing

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moffatross, That's not skiing, that's walking with planks rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque wrote:
moffatross, That's not skiing, that's walking with planks rolling eyes

Masque, nope, so long as you can skin up it and slide down it on your planks, powered by the force of gravity, it's called skiing. The snow can really be quite thin and still skiable but isn't that really kind of the point of touring kit, and more to the point, why you wouldn't want something snagging at you as you went ?

Sometimes the snow in the Moffat hills is deep enough that it wouldn't be a concern though ...

Anyhow, show me the hills you see from home that you go sliding on. I like pretty pictures Little Angel
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
moffatross, Florida Crying or Very sad steepest thing around here is the slip down to the Atlantic.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zero-G wrote:
They're on the front! Hnn.

Not many other ways to fit brakes to a frameless touring binding that will still work in touring mode, I suspect.

ATK make a couple of different models of brake for their skimo race bindings... they're both front mounted, one triggered with a small leash, and one with a little lever under the toepiece. How good they are as actual brakes I don't know; they're made to comply with race rules first and foremost, and normal people don't seem to use em wink The Plum offering looks substantially more meaty, at least.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brakes are for sissies
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Serriadh, except dynafit managed...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Reasons for front mount.

1 Must remain active in free heel mode.
2 Cannot be attached to the rear unit, as Dynafit have the patent.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CH2O, Tell that to G3 and I thought that all the Dynafit(tech) patents had expired.
snow conditions
Masque, Plum's words, not mine.
snow report
G3 who honestly uses that shite? Think the brake at rear system mean they can build it in without the swivel heal piece. Pluim have a swivel heal piece. I hope that can make some sense to someone.
snow conditions
CH2O, My Onyx certainly have rear brakes . . . though the Septics do have a rather Laissez-faire attitude to other people's intellectual property and a slavering paranoia about their own.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Serriadh, except dynafit managed...

Did they?

Serriadh wrote:
Not many other ways to fit brakes to a frameless touring binding that will still work in touring mode, I suspect.

With Verticals and Radicals in tour mode, the brakes are locked out. Don't know about the Beast. I do know from personal experience that it is a) possible to come out of a Dynafit toe in tour mode and b) possible to twist the heelpiece during a fall in ski mode such that it clicks into tour mode.

This is why I no longer rely on Dynafit brakes to stop a ski on their own.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy