Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Altenmarkt - time to Zauchensee, other resorts?

Poster: A snowHead
Staying in Altenmarkt from next weekend. Having booked our hotel, I now see that Altenmarkt seems rather further away from Zauchensee than I had thought it was. Can someone familiar with the area tell me how long it actually takes from Altenmarkt to the Zauchensee ski area (and any other convenient ski areas nearby)? We will have a car but would probably prefer to use the ski buses unless they were much slower.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The drive is 15 mins up the mountain road, kept very clear when snowing. Buses are pretty frequent and take about the same time. You can actually ski the proper local hill at Altenmarkt via a new 10 man gondola. The other side of the hill takes you down to Radstadt where another gondola will take you back up, smallish area but some great piste blasting to be had. Flachau is only 10 - 15 mins by car and Flachau Winkl another 5 mins down the autobahn or ski to and short bus transfer from Zauch. Schladming's 4 hills are only 15 mins drive away (nearest access Reiteralm), also nearby Fageralm, Wagrain, Eben, a bit further (30 min-ish) the whole of the Hochkonig valley (worth a day trip), Filzmoos, Werfen, Grossarl, the Gastein valley (maybe 40mins drive). If you have the salzburg superpass then Obertauern is 20mins drive, Dachstein West area 30 mins. So quite a bit of skiing nearby, Zauchansee can keep me entertained by itself for a week if there's fresh snow.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brilliant, thanks a lot. So it sounds as if a few places are all equidistant, 15 minutes away. I think we'll probably stick to Altenmarkt/Radstadt itself and Zauchensee (unless another of the local ones is better?), as my partner is only there for 4 days and it's quite nice to get a feel for an area. Reiteralm does sound tempting, though, and Fageralm has been mentioned for the off-piste.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From Zauchensee you can ski to Fachauwinkle and over to Kleinarl. Grest trip.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you have a car I'd say it's well worth a trip to Reiteralm and Schladming.
There's also a bus from Altenmarkt to Flachau if you want to enjoy the après fully wink
And recommend the spa/pool at Altenmarkt - outdoor heated pool watching the sun set over the hills
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Like the others have said Altenmarkt is small but still has a few great runs, and once you have done them nip up to Zauchensee which will keep you very happy for the rest of the week, some great skiing to be had in that whole area
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, is Fachauwinkl directly linked to kleinarl? thought i read here somewhere that its a bus link. sorryJ2R, didnt mean to hijack your post.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flachauwinkl is a motorway exit. On one side the ski area connects with Kleinarl; on the other it connects over to Zauchensee. There is a little shuttle bus to take you across the valley.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the shuttle bus (tractor train!) takes only 30 seconds, just to make it clear how close the 2 lifts are
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not trying to hjack the thread but I have a couple of lift related questions regarding the area.

We are staying in Wagrain next to the flying mozart gondola. Once up the mountain we can ski down to the Flachau side.

1. Which lift base station in Flachau would I need to ski to to get the shuttle bus (tractor) to take us to the Zauchensee and Flachauwinkl lifts?

2. From Wagrain, is there a bus that goes to the Kleinarl lift station or do we need to do option 1. above?

Thanks
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jimmybog, I would take option 2 if you want to ski Zauchensee. Get the bus straight to Kleinarl ski down to Flachauwinkl and take "30s tractor" to Zauchensee. I think it is better so you can spend the whole day skiing only Zauchensee/Flachauwinkl - come back the same way - ski down to Kleinarl and take a bus back.

Option 1 is also ok. From Flachau to Flachauwinkl you take regular bus, it is free but it is not the mentioned tractor, it is proper bus that takes around 10-15minutes.
If you coming back the same way you have to make sure to get back to Flachau early enough to catch the gondola and chair to the top to be able to ski back to Wagrain. (not sure what base station is best for this as we took the bus on the main road).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another thread hijack.

Does anyone have or know where I can get pdf piste maps of the individual areas? Or if one isn't available for the individual areas or a pdf of the area in general?

Does anyone know how late in the season the bus service runs? We'll also have a car, but want to take advantage of the apres on the odd day.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hammerite, here is one of the area local to Altenmarkt. http://www.flachau.com/pdf/Skipanorama_2012-13.pdf
I don't like the latest interactive one at all.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jimmybog, Option 2 best for the reasons Tom W sets out, but for the benefit of others who might be in Flachau, the Post bus (free with skis) runs from Flachauwinkl to Zauchensee, picking up at Flachau, Altenmarkt, Radstadt along the way. Thinking about it though, I don't knwo if the shuttle to Kleinarl runs from the Flying Mozrt, it might just go from the Graffenberg so you'd have to shuttle to Graffenberg then shuttle to Kleinarl. Others might know the answer

The Post Bus to Flachauwinkl stops on the main road through Flachau, on the ski-lift side of the road. You can get on at the bottom of the Achterjet, go straight down Unterberggasse (my street) to the bottom and turn right, or ski the world cup run and get the bus somewhere near the Spar. The bus stops at the Sunshine Express (Flachauwinkl side of the Kleinarl), you can then walk across the road or get the tractor shuttle to the Zauchensee side. From Flachau area this is definitely quicker than getting the Post bus to Zauchensee (unless you specifically want to be in the village rather than sking over the mountain to get there), but if did you did want to bus to Zauch then just get the bus on the oposite side of the road
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, thanks, much appreciated.
latest report
Thanks Tomw and holidayloverxx

Just found a timetable for Wagrain to Kleinarl. I can catch the bus in Wagrain centre after getting the bus from Flying Mozart to the centre
snow conditions
jimmybog, Probably the easiest way fro the Flyin Mozart is to get the bus to the Graffenberg lift. It has a bus stands and all sorts there and any bus from the centre heading to Kleinarl stops there. The Kleinarl bus doesnt stop at the bus stands but 10 meters away in the direction of Kleinarl. You really will struggle to cock it up Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy