Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal told me that 'the season's nearly over'. Is it true ?

Poster: A snowHead
According to their email today, "you've got just over a month left to hit the slopes before the curtain comes down on a great winter." Puzzled

I'm expecting another 3 months worth but I suppose that's one of the many pleasures of skiing in Scotland. I've skied 18 days in the 2012/2013 season so far and can imagine the same again before the BBQ gets its first airing Cool

Is it just an early Easter, low altitude Alpine resort thing or is everywhere except Scotland going to shut up shop early this season ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pretty much everywhere in the Alps starts to shut-up shop by mid April. Very few resorts still open by the end of the month.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowheads End of Season Bash ends 27th April (but Val Thorens is as high as it gets), so 2 months sounds more like it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tignes closes on the 11th may 2013, so 10 weeks to go Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Very few resorts still open by the end of the month.

but quite a lot open until well into April. Les Saisies is fully open till 5 April and partly till 19th. Crystal just want people to buy their holidays, pronto.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moffatross, it's probably more a case of them trying to drive their revenue up sooner rather than later. Fear tactics are incredibly effective on consumers (and voters).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
moffatross, depends if whether you consider "just over a month" to be two months. Their marketing department clearly thinks so. Luckily, I intend on paying for next season's holidays in "just over 10 months" which using the maths above I consider to be at least 11 months. I am sure their credit department will not think the same way their marketing department does.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was looking at Crystal for Easter next season and despite they didn't offer any departures beyond the 5th April. So for Crystal irrespective of when the resort close they don't offer any ski holidays beyond then.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's usually driven by how Easter falls. The thinking by the resorts is that once Easter is past their European clients will head for the beach.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
But next season it is quite late so we are going out on the 13th April and flying back on Easter Sunday which is why it really surprised that Crystal weren't offering that week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Marketing...making you rush to put your hand in your pocket if you've nothing booked...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NickyJ, by mid April most people in Europe seem to have stopped thinking about skiing - even when the snow is still good, resorts are deserted. And of course the snow often isn't very good by then. In France the sports shops will have been full of tents and beach stuff for weeks by Easter next year.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh FFS, that's one reason why my bookings fall off a cliff after easter, just as the spring skiing is getting lovely.

rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've lost track but isn't Easter early this year?

Most think of the season ending after Easter weeks.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It was a rhetorical question regarding Crystal's somewhat deliberately misleading email really, but even so, it seems that the Alps are mostly wasted on the Europeans. Warm Spring skiing on granular snow is up there with sunny mid-winter freshies in my opinion. Cool
snow report
I intend to be enjoying those conditions, especially as I'll have had two months off with injury. Granular snow - lush. But that elephant-snot sticky stuff? No. I'm going to try Zardoz Notwax if I hit any this year.
snow conditions
moffatross wrote:
It was a rhetorical question regarding Crystal's somewhat deliberately misleading email really, but even so, it seems that the Alps are mostly wasted on the Europeans. Warm Spring skiing on granular snow is up there with sunny mid-winter freshies in my opinion. Cool

+1, but that's what skins are for
snow report
pam w, you want to try hitting that sticky ***t on tele kit Evil or Very Mad What's worse it scratches your face badly and invariable tastes vile.
ski holidays
Quote:

you want to try hitting that sticky ***t on tele kit

no, I don't think I do, thanks all the same. wink
latest report
moffatross, Well my next trip to the dolomites is in two weeks time, but the last one for the season is in nine weeks time - 27th April to 5th May (and that is in Austria where everything is low altitude and it doesn't snow Toofy Grin ) Well, it's the Stubai glacier actually, with skiing from 3200 to 2300 metres.
ski holidays
moffatross, is your glass half full or half empty?
snow conditions
Crystal need a crystal ball, because this is total balls.

Some of my best skiing ever has been in the closing days of April. One winter in Les Arcs I skied the entire system, without hitting a rock, with thick cover down to 1600m, on 28 April.

Tip: almost all of Zermatt's lift system will be open until 21 April. With the unusual amount of snow on all the main slopes, this is where I'd head for a late-season blast.

As noted above, Scotland can be brilliant into early May. And then, for the adventurous, maybe head for the Arctic Circle and Sweden's most northerly ski resort Riksgransen, in Lapland. Unforgettable.
snow report
moffatross wrote:
the Alps are mostly wasted on the Europeans.
Last time I checked Scotland was still in Europe, mind you maybe not for too much longer.
snow conditions
moffatross, maybe crystal are finishing their Scottish flights in one month, but that won't stop you
ski holidays
waynos, you never know, when they get their independnce they might even join euro!
latest report
Typical of Crystal.

They are a ski holiday company....which is somewhat different from a being a skiing or snow enthusiast Laughing
snow report
Quote:

waynos, you never know, when they get their independnce they might even join euro!

Or even the EU

Many TO close their ski season early so that they can re allocate the charter aircraft to sunny resorts for the summer season. Their season finishes early not the ski season is what they meant to say.
latest report
Just past the half-way point here
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i'm just hoping the snow holds out well into april, out for 2 weeks from 28th March....fingers crossed
latest report
skinutter, where are you going?
snow conditions
lol...oh you know me, we'll be in Notre D d B and using the car to hop up to Saisies etc. In theory (following wind etc..) should be the first year all 4 of us will be on the slopes together finally.

snowHead
snow report
skinutter, fingers crossed it works out.... I'll be there then. Until 7 April with big and complicated family party (I have arranged over €750 of ski lessons....) then from 9th onward on my own - would be nice to see you.
snow report
Be great to catch up if you are about...will be in touch...hope party planning goes well!
snow report
A friend of mine is looking to go out 4/5 April. I had suggested Ischgl or St A/Lech. Travel agent said he should avoid Austria that late in the season rolling eyes
snow conditions
Ski Sundays finished ergo the season must be over.
snow conditions

my kitten will be very disappointed next Sunday
snow report
Va Thorens is also open until 10th May. Not booking out the apartment beyond end april though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy