Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fatal Accident in Italy - Fall from Chairlift

Poster: A snowHead
From the Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9888322/British-girl-13-dies-on-school-skiing-trip.html
RIP
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chocksaway, Sad RIP.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are there more accidents this season or are there more reports published?

By co-incidence it's the funeral of the lass that died in Austria today
Quote:
Funeral of Wiltshire schoolgirl killed in skiing accident

6:15am 22nd February 2013.

Family pay tribute to Wiltshire girl who died on a ski holiday
10 year old fatally injured in skiing accident in Austri

The funeral of Jemima Prees, the Wiltshire school girl killed in a skiing accident in Austria, will take place later today (22nd February).

10 year old Jemima died after losing control and hitting a tree whilst on a family skiing holiday in Mayrhofen earlier this month.

Her organs were donated to help four people.

Jemima will be laid to rest at The Church of St John The Baptist in her home town of Colerne this afternoon.

Meanwhile her family have set up a charity in Jemima's memory. "Jemima's Gift" will provide gifts to children to enable them to make the most of opportunities in the Arts, Sport and Education

Donations can be made through the website jemimasgift.co.uk or care of D J Bewley Funeral Directors, 15 Bank Street, Melksham SN12 6LE.
Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How sad. Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So sad. Condolences to all involved and special thought to my friends in claviere... Thinking of you. Horrible tragedy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very sad. Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Awful news. I was out there last week and know the school a little. My thoughts are with all those feeling this loss.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What a dreadful shame Sad Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is awful and I can't imagine how her parents feel. I cant think how to cope with the loss of a child. Given how early many people open lift safety bars far from the unloading point and how big a gap there is between chair and bar I am surprised (and pleased) that this doesn't happen more often. My seven year old could slide straight out but a 13 year old should be OK.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That's terrible, poor girl.

There seem to be a lot of nasty accidents involving children this season.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just awful. As a parent you just can't begin to imagine what her family are going through. Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It must be a terrible thing for her parents, but also for her friends who were with her at the time and her teachers who were responsible for her.

I've been on a number of school ski trips where teenagers didn't even realise there was a safety bar on the chairs, as their instructors had failed to mention it. It's a scary time watching them. Thankfully tragedies like this aren't that common.
snow report
Perhaps, although I ride chairs with lots of kids and they all know full well there's a bar - they can see everyone else using them and there are even signs showing you how, and how and when to raise them. It's just the cost of being cool.
latest report
I'm not following what happened. According to the BBC

Quote:
Speaking on BBC Radio Berkshire, Marco Steffanini said: "Now there is an investigation in progress to understand how she can fall down with the safety bar closed."

He also said she fell down "standing up".

"Before she fell down she was grabbing for the safety bar and the men [operating] the lift saw this, stopped the lift... but it was too late,"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21557838

So she was standing on the chair trying to pull the bar down?
So it was not closed until after she fell?

odd
snow report
It's possible I suppose that she reached up to pull the bar down and in the process as she pulled the bar down she also pitched herself off the front of the seat ?

Terribly sad for her parents and all involved
ski holidays
I read it as saying that the bar was down, she was standing up on the chair, she fell off and she grabbed at the bar to try and break the fall.
snow conditions
emilyw, can't see how anyone with skis or board would be able to stand on the chair itself, I suppose she could somehow have been standing on the safety bar that normally you rest the skis on
snow conditions
'standing up' may just mean she fell feet first. I assume Marco is not a native English speaker, so wouldn't read too much into those two words.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy