Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In Banff at the moment but have some health questions

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, we're in Banff at the mo and mainly skiing at Sunshine. Having an amazing time, but I'm getting awful nightmares. Is this normal at altitude? I don't remember it before. Also, the coughing arrived from the uk with just isn't getting any better! Skiing is fantastic though, but I'm just wondering if these are common things or just me!! Thanks guys. Inga
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Inga, one of my sons suffered quite badly with altitude when we went to Banff, but I think it was only when we climbed up to Spray Lakes and went dogsledding. Coughing could be a dry atmosphere.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Inga, coughing could be because the air is so incredibly dry, drink VAST amounts of fluid.
Nightmares? Lay off the cheese?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I found vast amounts of beer in the Irish bar worked for me
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Inga, for coughing fill bath with hot water and keep it full overnight, boil kettle etc, anything to get humidity up!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You guys are full of wise words, thank you
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nightmares could be the memory foam mattress.

Not uncommon apparently; a friend bought one and then couldn't sleep on it. Had to return it and after googling found out its a fairly common side effect. Maybe its worse in Alberta as there is more degassing and the mattress standards are from the US where the emission standards etc are much much lower.

There is very little humidity in Alberta and it can be a shock when you first get here. Do anything to get the humidity up.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yup, the altitude shift can do it.... Drink lots of water throughout the day. There's not much else to do other than let your body adapt.

The humidity is usually low, but our recent mild temps mean things aren't as bad as usual.... My place has been round 60% RH without switching on the humidifier....

Only other thing would be to stay away from Aurora and HooDoo.... Who knows what you can pick up in there! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Inga, The dry air, have you gotten shocked off the bed sheets yet?

Try a trip to the hot spa some afternoon.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Inga wrote:
Hi everyone, we're in Banff at the mo and mainly skiing at Sunshine. Having an amazing time, but I'm getting awful nightmares

The best and funniest start to a forum post I have ever read. Still laughing now. 10 out of 10
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Banff is only 1400m or so so altitude seems unlikely. Dry air probably not helping the coughing though
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Like Arno says, it's not the altitude, it's the dry air. It used to give me nosebleeds, until I humidified the room by soaking towels and hanging them up to dry overnight.

The dry air can be quite uncomfortable if you have sensitive skin (and spen a lot of time in the hot tub) - it's really important to rub in some mosturizing body lotion after showering to avoid this.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its skiing at sunshine thats giving you the nightmares...get yourself up the road to Lake Louise for some comfortable nights
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
very interesting re. the humidity. Wet towels is a good suggestion, not sure what your heating system is but I used to put dishes of water on top of the radiators in my kids rooms when they had dry coughs.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Inga, ...alpine nose very common - comes from low humidity. Alpine dreams almost universal. Our place is at 1200m and everyone has vivid dreams or nightmares from day one throughout stay. We have medics in family and although it is recognised as a common thing. despite long discussions and searches, no-one knows definitively why it happens - combination of fatigue, lower O2, and low humidity, or any mix of these - but VERY common. Our kids are affected, we are affected, and all staying with us - gives rise to some good discussions around the breakfast table.
latest report
Ok, 1200m/3937ft is not that high an altitude, so unlikely the problem Happy You obviously flew to Canada. Did you have similar problems en-route? Probably not, as most long haul aircraft have the Cabin Altitude set at 8000 feet or less depending on the levels they get on the Trans Atlantic Oceanic routes, also the humidity is very low too. I suggest you look for another reason, have you picked up a bug recently? I have had the mutha of all bugs and been off sick this last 3 weeks. The worst I have had in over 20 years Sad((
snow report
Feck.... I live here and ive been coughing this week... What did you bring with you??!! Razz

A couple of storm fronts coming through with big pressure swings could be messing you around too....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy