Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

RIP, error regarding the resort otherwise a pretty factual report of an inquest

Poster: A snowHead
Must make it even worse for his family
RIP Sad

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/Britishgraduate-Thomas-Lynch-crashed-snow-cannon-died-skiing-drinking-beer.html

edited title
edited again to please, or maybe wind up, the boring pedants on here Toofy Grin
If the cap fits my dears etc etc

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 22-02-13 17:20; edited 15 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boredsurfing, perhaps best not to direct us/traffic to their site then? They'll only think it's their great, sensationalist reporting attracting visitors.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Indeed, RIP Sad

A tad sensationalist in the reporting and some bizarre comments

Quote:
Skiing is one of the most physically, mentally and emotionally intense forms of exercise there is;

Puzzled at a recreational level?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RIP indeed, but apart from the error regarding the resort (and reporting the schoold fees, which I don't have a problem with) a pretty factual report of an inquest.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
albinomountainbadger, Fair point, I have tried to link it back to the original thread on here but unfortunately can't find it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
apart from anything else they seem unable to distinguish between La Plagne and Val D'Isere - doesn't really matter, but just slipshod.

I don't actually think that the fact that he was suffering from the effects of alcohol is completely irrelevant - but, in a typical DM style, they have thought it relevant to include the cost of the school he attended. rolling eyes

I'm fairly sure that most reports of a fatal car accident would mention the fact that the driver was over the limit.

It's a shame his parents have decided to try to take action over the siting of a snow cannon - it won't help them get over their son's tragic death. Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What's the problem? It might be a bit insensitive but isn't the fact he was significantly over the drink drive limit relevant? If he'd hit and killed a small child would it still be sensationalist to lead on the drinking?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I find the drink drive thing completely nonsensical given that in France it's completely customary to have an aperitif, a beer, couple of glasses of wine and digestif with lunch before hitting the slopes (or even the roads) in the afternoon.

Alcohol might be relevant to what caused his accident, but it might not - perhaps he was blinded by something, or slipped on a patch of ice; we've no idea.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
albinomountainbadger wrote:
I find the drink drive thing completely nonsensical given that in France it's completely customary to have an aperitif, a beer, couple of glasses of wine and digestif with lunch before hitting the slopes (or even the roads) in the afternoon.

Alcohol might be relevant to what caused his accident, but it might not - perhaps he was blinded by something, or slipped on a patch of ice; we've no idea.

Agreed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Alcohol might be relevant to what caused his accident, but it might not

If he was over the limit his ability to ract to any circumstance is impeded and therfore Alcohol becomes a relevant factor in the accident regardless of the cause
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here we go again.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyway I blame the French.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
and now the title of the thread has been edited which makes the posts that follow out of context rolling eyes . My commenst were related to the thread title, not the words in the OP
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and inaccurate spelling in the thread title.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

and now the title of the thread has been edited which makes the posts that follow out of context

yes. What was inaccurate about it apart from the La Plagne/Val D'Isere confusion?
latest report
Quote:

he was significantly over the drink drive limit

25% over the drink drive limit is hardly paralitic ( No I don't know how it's spelt )
4 bottles of beer for breakfast does sound like a problem
How many people have died due to alcohol in other circumstances, walking in front of a truck, falling and cracking their heads etc etc, let's ban irresponsibility, alcohol, skiing, cycling, motorbikes, and anything else that may pose a risk to ourselves and others. Suicide would soon make up the death toll figures.
ski holidays
tangowaggon, The OP originally referred to it as sensationalist reporting. As far as I can it's SOP to refer to driver's blood/alcohol level when road accidents are reported so I don't see why it's out of place here. No one's suggested banning drinking (and most ski resort bar/restaurant owners would lobby heavily against it as well as holidaymakers) but if we accept it's a material factor in road accidents (I don't see a huge campaign to increase permitted drink driving levels) then it could well be a factor in ski accidents, more so than whether a static and presumably visible and avoidable object has a bit of padding or not.

There aren't many high speed risk sports where out of shape punters knacker themselves out all day, dehydrate, drink heavily then try to navigate high traffic, narrow icy runs home in a sport which depends on a certain degree of co-ordination. Most of the time it's just a laugh, and we've all done daft things and got away with them but it does surprise me the level of on hill drinking that goes on sometimes.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
tangowaggon
There aren't many high speed risk sports where out of shape punters knacker themselves out all day, dehydrate, drink heavily then try to navigate high traffic, narrow icy runs home in a sport which depends on a certain degree of co-ordination. Most of the time it's just a laugh, and we've all done daft things and got away with them but it does surprise me the level of on hill drinking that goes on sometimes.

Nail on head.
snow report
complaining about the way the Mail reports stuff is like trying to punch out the tide.
ski holidays
This sounds worse, a comment on their reporting of the speeding. points trial http://tpt.to/a3dzDQK
snow report
edited again to please, or maybe wind up, the boring pedants on here Toofy Grin
If the cap fits my dears etc etc
[/quote]

rolling eyes
snow report
Ray Zorro you are a very naughty boy Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Laughing
snow report
Quote:

in France it's completely customary to have an aperitif, a beer, couple of glasses of wine and digestif with lunch before hitting the slopes (or even the roads) in the afternoon.

This is not actually true.

Quote:

( No I don't know how it's spelt )

Then why don't you find out before posting it?
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

in France it's completely customary to have an aperitif, a beer, couple of glasses of wine and digestif with lunch before hitting the slopes (or even the roads) in the afternoon.

This is not actually true.

It is in the Savoie, but I sometimes forget it's not really part of France. wink
snow conditions
albinomountainbadger, Its only been France since the mid 1800's hasn't it?
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:

Quote:

( No I don't know how it's spelt )

Then why don't you find out before posting it?

because its an internet forum and not a spelling test? Im guessing he doesnt really give a shoite - seems like a healthy attitude to me. Far healthier than being paranoid about pleasing the petty minded
snow report
tangowaggon, paralytic
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Broken link. Correct link is http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2282140/British-graduate-Thomas-Lynch-crashed-snow-cannon-died-skiing-drinking-beer.html
snow report
I don't read the daily mail, although I'm getting concerned that people on this site seem to read nothing else.

If you're doing pedantry, then the drink-drive limit in France is different from the UK. So he was actually *twice* the legal limit there.

I don't know French law, but endangering others through drink should be criminal. I think we should be thankful that he didn't kill anyone else.
snow conditions
How many more people have to die before the old guard stop defending every man's right to turn themselves into a drunken human cannonball. If you get your skiing joy from mixing alcohol and speed, please let me know where you ski so that I can go somewhere else.
snow report
philwig wrote:
I don't read the daily mail, although I'm getting concerned that people on this site seem to read nothing else.

I don't think that's true. I read (yes, every day as I get it delivered) the Independent. But when I vaguely remember something I've read, and google it, the Daily Mail link always seems to come up first. I don't suppose it's just me rolling eyes .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy