Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for new ski boots for the kids who’s feet seem to be growing by the day. The usual 2nd hand options not got the right sizes this year. There’s only one shop locally I found that have kids boots for sale and wasn’t that impressed when I went in there today. There’s a bucketload of options on Sport Conrad, who have 25% off today. Anyone got any models they’d recommend for 8 (size 21) and 10yrs (24) old, good skiers, free skiing as opposed to racing gates. Thanks for any ideas.

https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/skiing/boots/?makairaFilter%5Bgender%5D%5B0%5D=Kids&count=36&offset=0
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My son loves his Tecnica Cochise junior, tho I paid about e150 from memory, somewhat less than the Conrad price today.

Nice walk action, he’s used them for a few long day tours now, as well as everything else from powder to gates.

Fitting wise, he’s normally a perfect Lange fit and the Tecnica seems very consistent with that.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowdave wrote:
My son loves his Tecnica Cochise junior, tho I paid about e150 from memory, somewhat less than the Conrad price today.

Nice walk action, he’s used them for a few long day tours now, as well as everything else from powder to gates.

Fitting wise, he’s normally a perfect Lange fit and the Tecnica seems very consistent with that.

Thanks, good to know. Not sure he needs Touring boots yet so think I’m going to go for the Lange RS 70’s
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowdave, actually they have his size in last years model for a steal. It says 90 flex, although assume they are lighter construction. How old/heavy is your kid and was the flex ok for a youngster?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
He’s 13 and about 45kg. His previous race boots were rs70 and he uses rsj65 on dry slope in the U.K. (he actually prefers the 65 t the 70) and the Cochise flex is fine for him, no complaints at all. I’d say they are very similar to the rs70 in flex.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowdave wrote:
He’s 13 and about 45kg. His previous race boots were rs70 and he uses rsj65 on dry slope in the U.K. (he actually prefers the 65 t the 70) and the Cochise flex is fine for him, no complaints at all. I’d say they are very similar to the rs70 in flex.

Great thanks
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BobinCH,

my son was in Lange XT 80s( the bright green ones) for the past couple of seasons. They seemed to work it pretty well for him. This year he's in whatever replaced those (90 flex I think).
He is 12 but pretty big (his boot is bigger than mine! Shocked ), and definitely on the aggressive and very competent end of junior freeride.

For our (much lighter!) 8 year old, still in a 3 buckle Boot - 4 buckle would have been getting a bit stiff, and not sure that they have the strength/weight to really flex them. It's a Rossignol one, because that's what fit best, but Lange RSJ50 probably would have worked if they had them - older one has always been more of a Freerider than racer, and that's what he had.

I forget what they are called but Nordica also had a more freeride focused jr boot iirc, main advantage was the slightly more grippy sole which is better for billy goating and hiking, than the solid moulded race boots style sole.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 9-11-20 11:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you considered the adjustable roces boots?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For us, there wouldn't be a lot of value in adjustable boots. Just get boots that fit properly each season and tweak as they go.
Shops mostly have 50% back schemes for kids, or surefoot have a good scheme called "growing pains" (I think). - @BobinCH, you might want to check that out as if your kids are starting to ski at a higher level it also includes proper footbeds and proper adjustments until they are 18.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think @BobinCH's kids already ski at a reasonable level, the roces boots are great for beginner/lower level (my kids started out in them) but they are very soft - I think ?flex 30?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stuarth wrote:
@BobinCH,

my son was in Lange XT 80s( the bright green ones) for the past couple of seasons. They seemed to work it pretty well for him. This year he's in whatever replaced those (90 flex I think).
He is 12 but pretty big (his boot is bigger than mine! Shocked ), and definitely on the aggressive and very competent end of junior freeride.

For our (much lighter!) 8 year old, still in a 3 buckle Boot - 4 buckle would have been getting a bit stiff, and not sure that they have the strength/weight to really flex them. It's a Rossignol one, because that's what fit best, but Lange RSJ50 probably would have worked if they had them - older one has always been more of a Freerider than racer, and that's what he had.

I forget what they are called but Nordica also had a more freeride focused jr boot iirc, main advantage was the slightly more grippy sole which is better for billy goating and hiking, than the solid moulded race boots style sole.

Great feedback. They’re both good skiers and spend most of their time off piste looking for jumps, but are both back seat riders, particularly my daughter. She currently has a 4 buckle Lange boot and I wondered if she might benefit from a softer flex.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've got a pair of salmon Quest/Access 70T boots if you think they could work let me know
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And I have my youngest's pair of size 24 Salomon Max 60T link here
Worn for 2 weeks and 2 days last season. PM me if you're interested
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think I'm lucky, I just buy any boot in roughly the right size that's on sale and wait for my son to grow into them. I've had no problems so far. Currently using the Atomic Redster 60, although he doesn't tighten up the power strap as then he can't get them to flex enough.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@doddsie, not a bad idea that. Mine actually still fits into his roces (he has small feet) but I feel he needs some more stiffness, 5'3" & 52kg. So may bite the bullet on boots if we get to go skiing.
Can't complain, he has had 4 years out of the roces
snow report
Jonny996 - My son had 3 seasons out of a pair of Full-Tilt adjustables between 5-7, it was only when he started racing that I got him a 3 buckle boot. The last 2 times he's moved up in boot size it hasn't been because his feet have outgrown the boot, but because the boot is too small to fit into adjustable binding on his race skis and I don't want to re-drill the race plates.
ski holidays
Just trying to remember what boots my daughter was in when age 8 and 10. Probably 50 and 65/70 flex langes respectively. She's a junior racer.

I would say for a competent junior skier I would be looking at a 50ish flex for your daughter in something like the 3 buckle lange unless they were tall/heavy for age where the 4 buckle would be probably be ok. You are right to be wary of going too stiff. For your son maybe up to 70? From memory the 70 flex lange is the first race specific boot, (stiffer, hard plastic sole rather than replaceable pads and sits a bit higher on the leg), in the junior line up so just be wary about that although if he is technically pretty good and it fits could be a good option.
latest report
Thanks all for the advice. Went for the Lange options and splurged on a touring rig for junior

@snowdave, the missus isn’t happy that I’ve spent her 2020/21 ski budget on junior Twisted Evil

snow conditions
Btw, the best bargain I got in buying kids ski boots was getting a new pair of Salomon Performa T for the equivalent of £26 in of all places, the Jelmoli department store in Zurich but it was a while back and the exchange rate was a lot better
snow report
@BobinCH, Nice! Just a quick flag on the Cochise - worth checking with Conrad to make sure the 24.5 comes with pin holes on the toe; I think there's a size point at which they don't have pin mounts and also some models that don't (I got my son the ones without as they were cheaper and he's using F10s so it didn't matter).
ski holidays
@BobinCH, 2 mistakes:

1. spending the missus equipment fund

2. soon junior will be burning you off uphill as well as down!

Wish I'd grown up with a N+1 quiver and easy access to the slopes.
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:
@BobinCH, Nice! Just a quick flag on the Cochise - worth checking with Conrad to make sure the 24.5 comes with pin holes on the toe; I think there's a size point at which they don't have pin mounts and also some models that don't (I got my son the ones without as they were cheaper and he's using F10s so it didn't matter).

Thanks for the tip. I checked and they confirmed low tech inserts so think we’re good!
snow conditions
DJL wrote:
@BobinCH, 2 mistakes:

1. spending the missus equipment fund

2. soon junior will be burning you off uphill as well as down!

Wish I'd grown up with a N+1 quiver and easy access to the slopes.

Good point! Maybe I’ll mount them with my old Duke 16’s Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@BobinCH,

Out of interest why did you also get the Lange boots in the 24.5? Cochise Jr seems a pretty good allrounder for everything.

Do Salomon do Shifts in a lower DIN yet? I was pondering a mini-touring setup and would have prefer them over old-school pin bindings, or a frame binding - think Shifts only start at 6 though and though I'd also worry about him testing them to destruction, that is a bit high.
latest report
stuarth wrote:
@BobinCH,

Out of interest why did you also get the Lange boots in the 24.5? Cochise Jr seems a pretty good allrounder for everything.

Do Salomon do Shifts in a lower DIN yet? I was pondering a mini-touring setup and would have prefer them over old-school pin bindings, or a frame binding - think Shifts only start at 6 though and though I'd also worry about him testing them to destruction, that is a bit high.

Cochise states 90 flex so wanted to hedge my bets with a lower flex traditional boot. If he prefers the Cochise I can sell the Lange locally for what I paid for them so little downside.

This is the lower din Shift https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/salomon/s-lab-shift-mnc-3-10-incl-stoppers.html

I wanted to keep weight down as much as possible and the ATK’s save almost 600g per boot which is significant for the little guy
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
stuarth wrote:
@BobinCH,

Cochise states 90 flex so wanted to hedge my bets with a lower flex traditional boot. If he prefers the Cochise I can sell the Lange locally for what I paid for them so little downside.

This is the lower din Shift https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/salomon/s-lab-shift-mnc-3-10-incl-stoppers.html

I wanted to keep weight down as much as possible and the ATK’s save almost 600g per boot which is significant for the little guy

Nice Cool That's good to know those now exist - I heard a rumour they were going to make them Smile
I think I'd go with the shifts despite the weight as I don't go that far either so weight not too big an issue! He skis very hard so I'd be pretty worried about him on pin bindings - would be worried enough on shifts, as he sees everything on the mountain as a potential jump/drop!! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
There was discussion around kid-compatible touring kit here:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=152648

@spyderjon had some useful commentary around binding reinforcement zones on skis etc. that is worth taking into account.

I still haven't resolved what to do for my youngest (10, size 25 ish). Seeing as she's smaller, equipment weight matters even more as a % of total weight, so arguably she should be on the lightest things possible. However, she will also get the least use (both in # of trips, and in # of years the kit lasts for) so I failed to get to an answer, and potential lack of skiing this season has enhanced my procrastination. Maybe by the time we can ski she'll have stopped growing Happy
snow report
@snowdave, if you come to Verbier she can borrow Logan’s!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, thanks! Once things reopen (21/22?!) we'll definitely be over, tend to drive over from Argentiere every week or so to make use of our free days on the ski pass!

Would be fun to do a kid ski tour.

Equally if you're near Cham, give me a shout. We have an excellent, very kid-friendly guide for longer trips.
snow conditions
I'm planning on buying my boy boots at xmas which will mean a pair of Lange RS90 SC in (I think) 25.0 will become available. Won't have access to them until NY but if anyone is interested let me know
ski holidays
Lange RSJ 65’s a big hit with the boy, and 60’s with the girl. The Technica Cochise (90 flex) are much stiffer in his opinion and hard to flex but he loved the first touring trip and the tech bindings so looks like they’re staying...
snow report
@BobinCH, great, glad they’re working out well! Very jealous that you’re able to get some skiing in.

CH20 was pretty scathing about the rsj65 on another thread, but mine preferred them to the theoretically much “better” rs70.
ski holidays
@BobinCH quick question, what weight is your daughter? I have just bought xmas presents for my 7 year old nieces rossignol girls J3 in a 21.5 and 22.5. They have a flex of 40 which i think/hope is right for them as they only weigh 30kg and they are a lot lower level skiers than your daughter.
snow report
WASHOUT wrote:
@BobinCH quick question, what weight is your daughter? I have just bought xmas presents for my 7 year old nieces rossignol girls J3 in a 21.5 and 22.5. They have a flex of 40 which i think/hope is right for them as they only weigh 30kg and they are a lot lower level skiers than your daughter.

She is a skinny 8 year old - about 27kg’s I think? I think she would also have been fine in a 3 clip 50 flex boot as she is still riding very back seat.
snow report
snowdave wrote:
@BobinCH, great, glad they’re working out well! Very jealous that you’re able to get some skiing in.

CH20 was pretty scathing about the rsj65 on another thread, but mine preferred them to the theoretically much “better” rs70.

I think you’re onto something not going too stiff too early. Trying to get him to work on flexing the ankles, as illustrated in the video on the other thread, and it’s impossible if he can’t flex the boots.
ski holidays
Just asked again there weight and they are actually 25kg so 40 flex is looking spot on.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy