Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flights and transfers - going DIY

Poster: A snowHead
I am watching as flights appear in BA schedule for next year gathering info considering going DIY for half term in the future.

I notice that for next year I can book very cheep flights from Gatwick to Geneva, and I have seen that we could use Chamexpress for cheap transfers to Chamonix area.

My questions:

Are there any advantages to booking a return flight vs two single flights? It actually looks slightly cheaper to do two singles (though haven't followed through all the way to purchase).

Are there any other cheap options to fly to that I should look at? I am not fussed about where we go as I am trying to find the cheapest way of skiing at half term.

First time I DIY'd the transfer costs surprised me so I am making sure that is a key part off search - are there other regular bus / transfer runs to resorts that is worth knowing about like the Champexpress service?

Thanks for your help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NickyJ, BA aren't the only Airlines who do cheap flights to GVA, EasyJet, BMI and others do too.

As for Transfers depending on resort there are quite a few companies out there..

If you're looking for the cheapest way then depending on how many in your group Driving can be cheaper as can the train, all depends how much time you want to take to get there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swiss have free ski carriage on their routes from LHR. Can be a slightly better option than BA if you are taking skis with you. For half-term booking flights early is essential IME. Alternatively, driving to the Alps might be a cheaper option for a family.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
marcellus, I do far too much driving normally to want to drive while on holiday.

Yep I will check the other airlines but so far they have realised their flights to book yet unless I have missed that? I cretinous checked Easy jet and their flights aren't available for next feb.

Personally I would consider the train but hubby isn't too keen. We will be travelling with 2 children.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NickyJ, transfers can be expensive - there are cheap options to Chamonix and one or two other places, but hiring a car can be a cheaper option for some places (a taxi return for 4 people to our area, Les Saisies, would be about €400).

But in some areas a car is an asset - e.g. to get away from the central lift queues to a quieter peripheral area.
It's the high transfer cost which sometimes means that DIY trips are cheaper if you drive yourself. The cost of a hire car for a week goes a long way to paying for the drive over.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 21-02-13 12:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, I've done a fair few DIY trips.

In respect of your points;

1. No advantage either way, just remember to check which company has the lowest baggage allowance and stick to that one.

2. Look on Sky Scanner and remember to look at all possible permutation departure and arrival airports.

3. Most resorts have shuttle bus companies you can get quotes off. How many are in your party?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, we don't have our own skis and the carriage costs are a main driver in that, didn't appreciate it was free on any route / provider.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc, thanks. 4 unless we can tempt other family to join us. Thinking of working on grand parents at least Happy and my sister with her children though I appreciate that can become a game changer. I am primarily focusing in 4 people and I am using this year to gather info I am very tempted b th fact I can get Gatwick to Genave for well under £400 return for the family.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ, I think Swiss and Lufthansa are the only two that offer free ski carriage, but as you don't have skis that's less important. For a family of four I think the best option might be to hire at car at your destination airport. Probably no more expensive than transfers, and gives you more options in terms of location of accommodation, valley prices for groceries of you go self-catering, freedom to try a different ski area.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, which other places do you know of with cheap transfer options? I had spotted the Chamonix linkand have t been there so definitely an option. Wondering where else I should be researching.

I was originally thinking about Bansko as my parents have an apartment we could use but I have yet to see flights which work ou at less than £1000 for the 4 of us return and that is a long and quite expensive transfer it looks like we will be better off going else where.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NickyJ, fly to Grenoble and use Bens Bus to Les Deux Alpes? they are sometimes mentioned as quite cheap - maybe have a look at their website. But if I was planning a school holiday ski trip for next year I'd be going at Easter. wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, yep next year I am going during Easter school holidays, actually going to Les Deux Alpes Happy

However I am looking at the snow conditions out there at the moment and I can't help really wishing we were out there.

Also if I can get it affordable then both is also possible Happy

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 21-02-13 13:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NickyJ, if I were doing two ski holidays (good idea) I'd do Easter and Christmas. DIY at Christmas can be very affordable because accommodation can be a fair bit cheaper than New Year. It's a lot less busy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hubby has veto'd Christmas I have tried everything short of bursting into tears over it.

I plan to never do new year again(though I might be being a little unfair as it was Bansko we went for new year and that could be the absolute worse resort to go to for new year) but I have been surprised that I have seen a few affordable apartments for half term (for 2013) weeks looking at owners direct which is why I started investigating further.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I booked BA return flights for half term to Zurich as 2 singles once. My thinking was I'd have to wait another week to book as a return. Price wise it didn't work out very well. the return was priced in ChF and cost quite a lot more.
snow report
be careful booking 2 singles on Easy jet etc - you 'll have to pay 2 lots of booking/credit card fees or whatever they call it now.
snow conditions
Claude B, thanks I will check for that! That was my thinking to book the outward flight as soon as they appear then book the return flight once they are released didn't realise you have change currency?

Just spotted monarch flights to Friedrichshafen look reasonable as well they release flights earlier than BA as well. So half term next year is already started to go up. Need to look at apartment options for resorts accessible round there.

Thanks

Will also look at Zurich.
ski holidays
NickyJ, It was about 3 or 4 years ago I assume it hasn't changed.

I used Zurich for 3 half terms in a row (Zermatt, Laax and St Anton). It doesn't seem to get booked up as quickly, It's also a far nicer airport and has superb transport links.
latest report
Quote:

Hubby has veto'd Christmas I have tried everything short of bursting into tears over it.

Laughing my quarrel with half term is the crowds, not the cost. I have my own apartment and a season lift pass so for me, there is no marginal cost for skiing but I don't use it at half term (ie the whole four weeks, not just the British half term).
snow report
I didn't find any of those resorts too busy at all. Zermatt in 2009 was fine as long as you got to the Matterhorn lift before the queue built up. Laax in 2010 was very quiet despite it being Fasching too. St Anton in 2011 had a couple of bottlenecks but overall wasn't too bad. Perhaps best to avoid France.
snow report
I know you said you didn't really fancy it, but if it ends up being four of you then look hard at car rental.

It'll probably be cheaper than transfers, it's faster and it gives you loads more flexability over accomodation in resort.
ski holidays
Although in Switzerland by rail children travel free and from Switzerland to Austria it's still very, cheap.

As an example when we went to St Anton the return train fare from Zurich Airport for my daughter and me was less than £100. One change in Zurich Central Station and about 3 hours later you stop right in the middle of the resort.
latest report
NickyJ, go for the burst into tears option

We've skied a few times over Christmas and it is fab, nothing better than skiing in the morning then having a (sort of) Xmas lunch followed by an afternoon sledging. We always had proper Christmas dinner the weekend before, including presents, and it was amazing how less stressful it was. Can then relax and watch everyone else panic.

Father Christmas did still deliver Xmas day with a few little things of course
latest report
Claude B, thanks all great information! Yes you are right as soon as I set it to single flying from GVA to LGW the currency changed.

Mosha Marc, will look at hiring cars do you end up having to pay to park in the resorts?
ski holidays
NickyJ, Not usually. Either the accomodation has places or there's free parking somewhere in resort. However, that isn't the case evrywhere.
snow conditions
Boris, it does sound lovely I will keep working on him but he is so anti it that I doubt anything will make him change his mind.
ski holidays
In general the closer a resort is to the airport the more likely that several companies will run a shuttle service (Chamonix, Morzine...). For other resorts just make sure that you keep the number in your party to 8 people or less as not a lot of transfer companies have vehicles that could take more, so if you have more the price usually doubles.

There are also some bus companies that drop you in the middle of resort, like Ben's Bus, Altibus, Snowbus etc... It is worth comparing those prices to how much a private transfer would come to.

Some companies also sell last minute empty seats to fill their vehicles. We are trying to make it easier to find local companies that suit your budget so once you have decided on the resort have a look on www.findtransfers.com for options.
ski holidays
NickyJ,

Christmas week is so much quieter than New Year as well. You virtually have the slopes to yourself.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is ofcourse the Snowheads discount code too! Very Happy 'chamsnowheads' Toofy Grin
latest report
Chamexpress, Happy excellent what is it? Thanks very much.
ski holidays
Like us on facebook and i'll message you -) www.facebook.com/chamexpress
snow report
NickyJ, some private apartments will have covered car parking spaces - these are very worthwhile if you want to use the car. digging it out once at the end of a snowy week isn't too bad, but the novelty wears off.... even if you have to pay for covered parking it probably won't cost a fortune and it's a worthwhile extra for me.
snow conditions
Unless you are dead set on France, it is also worth looking at Italy or Austria.

There are a few reasonably priced transfer companies operating from Salzburg to several of the larger resorts in Austria, and in the Dolomites there are transfer buses advertised on the ski area website

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en-US/2500-Come_arrivareEN.html (Click on Bus then scroll down below the map for links to timetables & prices)

These run from Bergamo, Innsbruck, Treviso, Venice or Verona, depending on which part of the dolomiti superski area you want. And as an example, to Val Di Fassa from Bergamo, Venice or Verona is €32 per person, with one child under 12 free with each two paying.

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/9144/9144-en.pdf
snow report
NickyJ, Following on from alex_heney, in our resort (Flachau) we are less than an hour from Salzburg and you can get a minibus transfer for €50 each return; car hire is not too bad and parking is available and free at all the accommodation.
snow conditions
Thanks all, all great info.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy