Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New to forum, looking for suggestions for 1st week April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone - hope you can help.

We have decided on a 5 day family trip to the Alps, after several years of not skiing, starting Easter weekend. This seems to make packages difficult, so I'm looking for self catering. but we just can't figure out where to go.

We need somewhere fairly high to be sure of snow, but I really don't want to be staying in an ugly concrete resort which seems to be typical of the higher french places. We are all intermediate skiers, not looking for thrills, just long reds, nice scenery, a mountain restaurant or two, and ideally to be able to ski home. Nor concerned about apres-ski, happy with a fairly quiet resort.

This seems to rule out places such as Les Carroz (pretty but too low - I know we could take gondola higher, but would rather avoid), and Avoriaz (great snow but ugly). Is there anywhere that is both pretty and fairly snow-sure late in the season?

Would appreciate your suggestions ..... don't have knowledge of most resorts (have only ever been to Courmayeur, Tignes-les-Brévières, Les Houches and always in mid season)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
May be difficult to get self catering for 5-days as these usually done on weekly Sat-Sat basis

High, plenty of intermediate skiing, haven't been for years, a bit of a buzz but not too hectic, my suggestions would be La Plagne or Val Thorens. Anywhere can be slushy mess in April bear in mind.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zermatt
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As patricksh, with France self-catering tends to be Sat-Sat but then you may find that prices are low enough to take it for 7 days and go for only 5. There is a lot of snow in France at moment and early April is still early so this should not be an issue in the majority of resorts whether the Alps or even the Pyrenees. Les Carros is part of the Grand Massif and snowsure so definitely a good choice. Check Samoens too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ischgl.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
chorltonian, welcome to snowheads. snowHead In a decent year for snow you don't need super high altitude for the first week of April. Aspect of slopes is more important (ideally you need a choice, sun-facing first thing in the morning when it can be scratchy and hard for the first few hours, then shady later in the day, when the south facing slopes can be slushy).

Though slush can be very enjoyable.....

In France you will find it difficult to rent anywhere other than Sat/Sat or sometimes Sun/Sun. At the very last minute you might possibly get a long Easter weekend let, but you'd be lucky.

Drive or fly? Flights are pretty expensive at Easter now.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chorltonian, if you are driving anyway and not looking for a package, you could always book for the week but only stay for 5 nights. You may find booking for the week is cheaper than 5 nights anyway.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi

Why dont you let us take the stress away from you and let us help, now running for 7 seasons and now ranked no 1 on Trip advisor, family friendly chalet in Portes du Soleil.

Look forward to hearing from you

Paolo

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 7-08-13 14:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have a look on snowtrex.com

Very low priced appts inc lift passes.......
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
chorltonian, Welcome to snowHead 's.
Can do you a 5 day break in our S/c appt in Morzine. You do not have to ski in Ugly Avoriaz (your words not mine, I think it has a lot better architecture than many custom built resorts) it can be avoided.
Have to start on Monday 8th April. Cheaper flights if you shop right.
We have a choice of ski bus from 150 mts away to Ardent or Plenay so easy access to both sides of Morzine.
Great snow at present and a great record for late snow too.
Contact Nina if interested for a good deal.
Paul
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Val d'Isere.

High, lovely town, massive extent of runs and you can ski home (if you're competent).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm after something similar. However, we would certainly be driving, so access to the Motorway would be essential.

In the last 2 years we've done Morzine and Flaine, and whilst both are easy to get to, we would perhaps prefer a new area to try.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Have a look on snowtrex.com

Very low priced appts inc lift passes.......

I would recommend this, too. I used www.snowtrex.co.uk for my first booking and, for a first time skier, I found it simple enough and cheap. snowHead good luck, I hope this helps!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My advice is forget about getting a picture postcard resort, look for somewhere high with lots of runs above the mid station and plenty of north facing slopes, I have been to lots of places in April but the best two for the skiing were Val Thorens and Val D'Isere, both were well pricey if you like a drink though!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy