Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any advice on Les Deux Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Hi we are going to les deux alps first week in march can anyone give me any reviews on bars and restaurants - and more importantly how goods the skiing?

Any advice would be appreciated
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We liked going to Lutins bar after a hard day skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ramma666, I sent this to someone a little while ago, still holds good I think. Some locals may come along too

A few suggestions

Le Takeaway, good for pizza, burgers, etc, Can eat in too, very reasonable prices, English owner
Creperie Les Meije reasonable choice mountain food, reasonable
Tribeca near resort entrance, pizza plus french plus mountain, nice decor
Caminetto - Italian/Pizza run by an Aussie, usually quiet
L'Etable French/Mountain not bad prices
Le Cellier best place for a meat feast
Le Trappeur mountain food, I go here quite a lot

Chalet la Fee - best/most reasonable up the mountain on the main side
Bergerie Kanata up the mountain on the other side - quirky

Not cheap, apart from Takeaway, but not as expensive as some places. The U supermarket stocks a very wide range of stuff and prices are similar to the valley.

Bar wise I tend to use Smokey Joes (good music at apres) and Les Lutins but there are loads more.

Skiing is superb IMO, otherwise I wouldn't have spent about 11 weeks there Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that my wife is only a beginner I believe there is a green run from top to bottom is this so and what's it like?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ramma666, if you haven't already arranged lessons for your wife you might like to look at Charlotte Swift's website (easiski.com). She is a great instructor.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, Confused She can ski ok it's more a case of here fear of heights makes her an overly cautious skier and I try to find runs for her which avoid going near any steep drops at the sides as they tend to make her panic hence the question regarding the green run from top to bottom at les 2 alps rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh yeah Bergerie Kanata was nice. They let me play with the remote control toy crane Embarassed

The green isn't great, long, windy and narrow. Certain times of the day the club med kids are all over the place on it. If she's nervous download from Cretes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ramma666, it's a long icy cat track with a drop off the side. Avoid.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ramma666 wrote:
pam w, Confused She can ski ok it's more a case of here fear of heights makes her an overly cautious skier and I try to find runs for her which avoid going near any steep drops at the sides as they tend to make her panic hence the question regarding the green run from top to bottom at les 2 alps rolling eyes

As already said the green (Demoiselles?) is narrow with quite a drop off the side and can get hideously busy towards the end of the day which, for me, made it a much more daunting prospect than taking the black (Valentin) down instead.

It does however take you past the excellent Dutch owned Vie Bar which was a lot of fun and just around the corner from where we stayed in December.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 21-02-13 23:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good bars - Smokey Joes at the foot of the slopes for Apres, The Polar Bear Bar and secret Bar (both on the main street as you head towards the Place de Venosc end of town).

We like L'Etable for Pizza (near the Diable chairlift), Casa Nostra for nice steaks/meat/traditional dishes (near the Polar Bear Bar!) and if you don't mind heading back into resort for lunch, try the Creperie du Centre (off the Jandri or "White Eggs" gondola, across the square and bus stop, onto the main road and right infront of you.

Caminetto as mentioned above is also somewhere we've had good meals before, quite reasonable priced. Smokey Joes does tex-mex, decent sized portions.

Ditto the comments on the Demoiselles run, it can get like the M25 as the day goes on and we have seen it in good and bad conditions in March, in fact it was closed one year as the lower snow wasn't so good. That said, there are some lovely gentle blues up at the top that I'm sure your wife will be able to manage by the end of the week. Try the Puy Salie, Signal or Glacier 1 blue runs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jocrad wrote:

Ditto the comments on the Demoiselles run, it can get like the M25 as the day goes on and we have seen it in good and bad conditions in March, in fact it was closed one year as the lower snow wasn't so good. That said, there are some lovely gentle blues up at the top that I'm sure your wife will be able to manage by the end of the week. Try the Puy Salie, Signal or Glacier 1 blue runs.

And don't think if Demoiselles is open it means good snow all the way down! Have seen it in use when the last section is just mud grass and rocks!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

She can ski ok it's more a case of here fear of heights makes her an overly cautious skier and I try to find runs for her which avoid going near any steep drops at the sides as they tend to make her panic hence the question regarding the green run from top to bottom at les 2 alps rolling eyes

I don't know why you're rolling your eyes at me - you said she was a beginner, and beginners should have lessons. If she's a beginner with a fear of heights she needs good technique even more than a beginner without a fear of heights. Once she can have confidence in her technique she won't be so spooked. But even a confident beginner should download in Les Deux Alpes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ramma666, as you've already booked, it's too late for my advice...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Book your wife some lessons with Easiski - it will be the best money you spend in the week if you are looking to give her some confidence and help her enjoy her skiing. No idea on eating an drinking places as we tend to eat in. Skiing wise I am with the others and we have tended to ski high and get a bubble down rather than use the long green... Plenty to ski higher up for beginners though.... Just make sure you get some info as to what are blue blues and which are red blues to avoid scaring the Misses!
latest report
Ramma666, fret not therre is plenty of skiing. From lots of easy practise slopes along the edges of the town through to challenging blacks and extensive off-piste opportunities. Having gone with a few prejudices based on limited knowledge, I was pleasantly surprised when I started to get to know the area earlier this year. A lot of the blues and reds are much wider than I'm used to (I usually ski in the 3V) which will suit someone who is scared of drops. One of my party earlier this year had a fear of drops and the only run I saw him get really nervous on was the Demoiselles (that very long green).

P.S. : What pam w said. Actually Charlotte runs courses especially for nervous skiers so she would be a good person to contact if your wife isn't confident. I freeze like a statue when I get into situations I'm not comfortable with, and she has a calm and confident presence. IMHO anyone can benefit from lessons from absolute beginners through to experts.
latest report
katedenhaag wrote:
Book your wife some lessons with Easiski - it will be the best money you spend in the week if you are looking to give her some confidence and help her enjoy her skiing. No idea on eating an drinking places as we tend to eat in. Skiing wise I am with the others and we have tended to ski high and get a bubble down rather than use the long green... Plenty to ski higher up for beginners though.... Just make sure you get some info as to what are blue blues and which are red blues to avoid scaring the Misses!

^ This. It's not an ideal resort for the nervous.
snow conditions
Quote:

I don't know why you're rolling your eyes at me - you said she was a beginner, and beginners should have lessons. If she's a beginner with a fear of heights she needs good technique even more than a beginner without a fear of heights. Once she can have confidence in her technique she won't be so spooked. But even a confident beginner should download in Les Deux Alpes.

Yup I agree with the above.

Downloading via the 'wacky races' green run is a terrible idea for all but the most confident/competent.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy