Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worst Gondola - nominations needed

Poster: A snowHead
As any fule kno, there is no such thing as a bad draglift. Skis on snow = skiing. Skiing = Good.

Gondolas and Cable Cars, on the other hand, are often ghastly and sometimes worse. The smells, the crowds, the queues. If you like commuting, you'll love Gondolas.

We agree they'll all bad - but which are the worst?

Let me get us away by nominating the 'Transarc' in Arc 1800.

Despite a stated capacity of 15 it feels unpleasantly cramped with 8 in. The miserable occupants perched on the 3" deep bench thingy that runs round edge of the circular cabin, their knees (or worse) forced together in an awkward intimacy.

And then just when you thought it was bearable, 2 more desperadoes cram in at the always-busy mid station. The 2nd leg completed in the utter silence as no one dares open their mouth lest they ingest the fetid air.

Last but not least it is soooo SLOW! 20 minutes to gain about 600m - the hamsters most definitely need feeding

Intolerable
Unacceptable
Although (thank God) Avoidable
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
red 27, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin though there's little to match the foetid fugg in the Tignes funicular on first run Monday morning Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad It's a memory that NEVER leaves you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The poxy thing from Huez up to Alpe D'Huez that tore a £60 hole in my trousers last Friday Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The ancient (1978) 4 person gondola from Grindelwald to Männlichen takes 30 minutes to reach the top, and is planned for replacement in a few years time (about 2016 according to the latest info I heard from a ski instructor last month). It is sometimes referred to by some of the snowboarder dudes as the "3 spliff lift"! Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Natives have an 'alternative' view on Gondolas Toofy Grin here
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink, beat me to it. Last time I rode up in that it stank of cigarette smoke, horrendous.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't know about worst gondola, but I reckon this is the worst gondola experience. Skip to 45 seconds...

http://youtube.com/v/bK6j2cAF-x8
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, we were talking about that video the other week. Being in one of those must have been terrifying!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jonm, I'll say! First time I saw the video I didn't realise that there were people in the cabins. Must have been terrifying.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Emirates Airline?

One crappy place in East London to another. Not even connected to public transport network properly. Contender for worst tourist trip ever. Pissing money down the drain for every Tfl farepayer, London Council tax payer and probably UK taxpayer.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, good call
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Surely the cablecar from lognan to top of grands montets is worst of all. One hour queue to get on it. Packed like sardines. Slow. And 200 steps to walk down at the end. But, the ski you get once you do put your skis back on is guaranteed to be always epic.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
These pieces of crap in ADH, the picture doesnt really give you an idea of how cramped and difficult they are to board and exit.

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Corduroy are they?

Claude B wrote:
The poxy thing from Huez up to Alpe D'Huez that tore a £60 hole in my trousers last Friday Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink wrote:
The ancient (1978) 4 person gondola from Grindelwald to Männlichen takes 30 minutes to reach the top, and is planned for replacement in a few years time (about 2016 according to the latest info I heard from a ski instructor last month). It is sometimes referred to by some of the snowboarder dudes as the "3 spliff lift"! Laughing

Yes, but it is not that bad Smile ... And you can have three spiffs should you feel like it...
latest report
fatbob wrote:
Emirates Airline?

One crappy place in East London to another. Not even connected to public transport network properly. Contender for worst tourist trip ever. Pissing money down the drain for every Tfl farepayer, London Council tax payer and probably UK taxpayer.

+1
snow report
Quote:

I reckon this is the worst gondola experience

hardly! It's a tribute to the engineering of that lift that the outcome wasn't tragic. The Cavalese cable car accident came a bit closer to being the worst gondola experience

http://youtube.com/v/7bfpyBecEoY
ski holidays
Areitbahn Zell am see
ski holidays
Finkenberg, Austria, old low speed very crowded ( up and down) gondola from the valley floor to half way up the mountain to connect with a lovely high speed detachable gondola WTF got it the wrong way round IMHO
snow report
If you regularly ski most of the winter in an area without a single gondola, even a smelly one can sometimes seem like a reasonable alternative.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Don't know about worst gondola, but I reckon this is the worst gondola experience. Skip to 45 seconds...

http://youtube.com/v/bK6j2cAF-x8

Blimey I betthey were going at it to get them swinging like that.
Actually it probably was a group of swingers I that case ...
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
jonm, I'll say! First time I saw the video I didn't realise that there were people in the cabins. Must have been terrifying.

If memory serves me right there were english kids in them who were there on ski camp and were on the phones to home crying and screaming while in the gondolas. Just awful...
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
Let me get us away by nominating the 'Transarc' in Arc 1800.

Despite a stated capacity of 15 it feels unpleasantly cramped with 8 in. The miserable occupants perched on the 3" deep bench thingy that runs round edge of the circular cabin, their knees (or worse) forced together in an awkward intimacy.

And then just when you thought it was bearable, 2 more desperadoes cram in at the always-busy mid station. The 2nd leg completed in the utter silence as no one dares open their mouth lest they ingest the fetid air.

Try being in it when it breaks down and your car is at the biggest gap between 2 pylons just before you go over the edge into the 2000 bowl and they do stop/start fire ups cuasing your cabin to start swinging and swinging and swinging. I still wake in a cold sweat at the memory.
snow conditions
Plattieres out of Mottaret.
Ancient piece of cramped, useless, back to back junk.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, what's "back to back" junk?
latest report
I don't have a major problem with transarc, sure it sucks to take skis off but its a whole lot faster then the fixed grip alternatives!
latest report
Claude B wrote:
Corduroy are they?

Claude B wrote:

Rubbish eh?
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, what's "back to back" junk?

4 person bubble where the seats run down the middle and 2 sit facing front and 2 facing back. (long slow and rickety also!)

Incidently didnt they just replace platteries 1&2 with a fast swish gondola?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, 6 seats, 3 sitting back to back with the other 3. Knees under yer chin and 2 single doors instead of a double. A big lad, bad knees nightmare.
snow report
The (old, now?) Schoenleitenbahn in Saalbach - old, slow, nowhere to sit.

Somewhere in the PdS (Morzine? No idea tbh) there is/was some old, miniscule little egg things, could barely fit in them.

The Zwoelferhorn (tiny ski area in the Salzkammergut) had a gondola going over some pretty decent heights, tiny little tin thing, felt more like a wheely-bin than a gondola, and being very exposed swung around a lot in the wind.
snow report
kioksor, should be a 4 seater but I'm sure its 6. 4 seater when I'm in 3+1. Stage 3 remains.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 20-02-13 23:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Corduroy, Certainly are. Due to be relaced soon I believe.
latest report
Quote:

6 seats, 3 sitting back to back with the other 3. Knees under yer chin and 2 single doors instead of a double. A big lad, bad knees nightmare.

Laughing Ah, I see. There's a "back to back" gondola in Les contamines (Signal) but although I think it's probably designed to take 6 I've never experienced more than 4 in it. The back to back layout does mean everyone has a nice view out of the window. But I can see that it could be a nightmare if everyone tries to get out at once - like chickens when the door of their coop goes up at dawn.
snow report
Foret (?) out of Courchevel Le Praz looks like something out of the Jetsons, the doors don't work, only 1 in every 5 cabins has a slot for a snowboard, and the ski-slots will only take skinny things from the 80s.

The stand up thing in Flaine with signs encouraging you to disembark backwards. Does that count as a 'gondola'? That's awful.

That stupid one back to Vaujany as well.
ski holidays
Mr Piehole, oh yest, the Flaine Yoghurt pots - surprised they are still there - that lift is at least 28yrs old.
ski holidays
clarky999, the Plenay bubble in Morzine is pretty small and back to back as is the gondola at St Jean d'Aulps. Wht was called the Red Egg in Les Gets was small and pretty ricketty until replaced 3 or 4 years ago.
snow conditions
patricksh wrote:
Surely the cablecar from lognan to top of grands montets is worst of all. One hour queue to get on it. Packed like sardines. Slow. And 200 steps to walk down at the end. But, the ski you get once you do put your skis back on is guaranteed to be always epic.
+ 1. Crowded cable cars are usually even more unpleasant than gondolas. Being vertically challenged, I'm out of close range of garlic breath and sneezes, but oh dear, the farts. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
The worst gondola *experience* I nearly had was when the one out of Flaine broke down on a hot day at, I think, the back end of March about five or six years ago.
We were having lunch and were going to get on that thing but decided to take the little bubble instead.
Best decision of my life.
It broken down and people were stuck in there for hours and hours, jammed like sardines, with guys vomiting, urinating and defecating by the end of it.
Still makes me shudder.
snow conditions
Given that a new chairlift is around 8 million Euro and a new Gondola over 12 million, how much extra will you except on the price of your pass to pay for new lifts?
ski holidays
I note most of these are in France Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Any cable car which has recently experienced a silent wet beer fart that smells like rotten eggs.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy