Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Route from Munich to Zell am See this coming saturday

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Very Happy

Instead of our normal trip to France, we are heading to Austria for the first time on saturday afternoon. We should be on the road for about 1500 - is the traffic going to be bad enough to look at going cross country?

Also can you buy a vignette at the airport or services in germany, or do you have to wait for the border?

Any other tips? I am watching the Austria vs France topic with interest...

Cheers,
Al
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You dont need one if you go the direct route. No doubt Samerberg Sue will be able to offer you alternates as she is on the ground so to speak.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
vfr4, did this route last week. Used one of Samerberg Sue's routes on way there and sat nav on way back. Took 3.5 hours (with stop) BUT no queues on way there and 3 on way back. As we went at start of Fasching I'm guessing that we would have taken longer on way there had we stuck to main routes. PM me and I can email you Sue's routes (subject to her approval wink )

We bought the vignette en route in Deutschland. You might also want to check that you have enough yellow vests - our car came with one but pretty sure in Austria you'll need 1 for every passenger. Motorways charging around €7 a pop from memory, so might be worth taking your own or buying here
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Which Austrian Autobahn did you use that needed the vignette?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jafa, to be honest we just bought one in case. For the sake of a few Euro's I thought I'd rather buy one
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
€8.30 - don't need it if you're only going between the border and Kufstein Süd.

Not sure what's the best route though, since I don't usually go that way.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The quickest route all being equal is the autobahn down to kuftein South across to St Johann (in Tirol) across to Saalfelden then down to zell.

You can if you know where you are going go further along the German Autobahn (free) and drop down thru Reith in Winkle and avoid the route south of Rossenheim. That route would have to be prepared first and possibly the use of a sat nav.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jafa, no it is not absolutely necessary as Saalfelden and Zell are sign posted almost as soon as you drop off the motorway at Siegsdorf!
BTW you need a vignette if you are going on any of the Austrian autobahns and Schnellstrasse (apart from the short section between Kiefersfelden and Kufstein-Süd which is currently still free to use). At 8.30 euro it is hardly breaking the bank.

boabski, pass the route along if it is useful.

Possible hold-ups this weekend will be: A9 joining the A99, A99 joining the A8 and the A93 from Oberaudorf to Kufstein-Süd. There is always a chance of the section between Holzkirchen and Irschenberg snarling up, but only if the weather is really bad and someone messes up and causes a shunt!

vfr4, If you have a sat-nav it is useful for the traffic reports, especially if you do not understand German. If you or someone with you understands a bit of German then tune into Radio Antenne Bayern as they do excellent traffic reports on the hour and half hour and include the delay time. To be honest it is difficult to say whether at 15.00 you are going to have trouble - from the locals no but if there is a wave coming down from the north or the netherlands, that is about the time they reach our area. It is very rarely worth trying to go cross-country if you do not know the roads to be honest.

You may be able to buy a vignette at the service station at the airport but to be honest any of the service areas along the A8 between Munich south and your turn-off will sell them (Holzkirchen, Irschenberg, Samerberg Hochfelln). Never wait until the border to buy one if you can avoid it! The queues can be horrendous sometimes wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The reason I queried the requirement of getting a vignette, which autobahn would you reasonably expect to use between Munich and Zell that you would need one. I can only think for some reason if you didnt get off at Kusftein Sud and carried on to Worgl and went thru Kitzbuhel, Mittersill.

I know its only 8.30 Euros but which route would it be needed for?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If they go the flatland valley route (A8/A10) and then along the B311. Not the shortest but traffic-free it is the quickest and least hassle!

ASFINAG are always posted at the weekends just after the Kufstein-Süd exit, usually by the Kirchbichl exit so they can nab all those who "forget". They have the white VW buses with all the computers etc in for grabbing your money! Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For those that do need the vignette, my advice is steer well clear of Irschenberg. I loathe those services (or at leas the road to/from the autobahn, and the miniscule carpark where nobody can park properly). Holzkirchen is much better - vignettes available from the till in the cafeteria. Not used the other one, since I think that's after the A93 turn off, and I rarely go that way.

Handy to know about the white vans. I've always been diverted thru the check point en route to Innsbruck, which is a bit further on from Wörgl. Checkpoint the other way seems to be HGV's only. Doesn't apply to OP, but does to those heading towards Zillertal etc.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy, The car park at Irschenberg is bigger now. Civilisation has arrived in the form of McDonalds. There's also a pretty decent cafe/restaurant called Dinzler. The drive on back to the A8 is still a bit adventurous though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steilhang, yeah - any car longer than a Smart is going to need pure luck to squeeze in between the tailgating trucks, on a slip road that's maybe 50m long.

Not stopped there for ages, mainly because the place was an automotive disaster zone, and the last time I did I had the very last parking space at the far end of the carpark after blocking the road for 3 mins to let someone leave first.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We did the route to Maria Alm on 9th Feb and it took just over 5 hours thanks to a massive queue of approx 30 km to an accident at Irschenberg . We are going back next year and I was wondering if there were any non autobahn routes we could take
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dking2001, there are as we locals have to move around during the "great migration". My commute to and from work and other activities in Munich follows the A8 from the Munich South junction to just beyond the A8/A93 (Innsbruck) interchange. Coming home from choir practice in Munich tonight I did the whole section in less 40 minutes Toofy Grin empty roads are a treat at this time of year! wink
snow conditions
Thanks all Very Happy Very Happy

It looks like I'll get a flavour for how bad the traffic is going to be by the time I get onto the A8. I can then decide whether to come off at the 93, or carry on to Salzburg etc.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy