Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Security At French Hotels En route to The Alps.

Poster: A snowHead
Recently stayed at one of the many Motorway Hotels for the first time on our way down to Morzine. Like most tired drivers ended up arriving late and leaving all the gear in the car (Clothes Skis Boards Boots Jackets etc) and getting into the room with just our travel bags. Some rooms looked out onto the carpark but our's didnt so spent a restless night worrying about the car and everything in it! No problem for us on our trip but has anyone had any issues with car security at these hotels? Cant imagine the nightmare start to a holiday this could cause!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've stayed at various places. I generally take my laptop in and leave the rest, fingers crossed. Never had a problem, but yes, it could happen. I try not to lie awake worrying about things over which I have no control (though I don't always succeed.... wink ). The grotty artificial pillows in those hotels, plus the fact that rooms are often too hot, are generally more responsible for poor night's sleep, and I have frequently lain there wide awake wishing I'd just kept driving.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have stayed at a variety of Premier Classe and Campanile hotels, generally now just the Val Moret south of Troyes, usually with a very loaded car for a few weeks - and a roof box - but we only ever take a small bag, maybe a laptop or two if visible, and hope for the best. I really could not be bothered to unload masses of stuff.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We don't unload the car either, just overnight bags and the dog. Rarely stay right next to autoroute though (apart from Val Moret). Some of the Ibis we've stayed in had locked gates at night.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, we are the same just take the valuables in and make sure nothing is/obvious visible. If overloaded we cover it all with a rug.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Same here, just take overnight bags and valuables. We are lucky in that we can fit the skis inside the car and can normally pack such that we can use the boot cover thing. We tend to book hotels which have secure underground car parks if we can. Generally Ibis have had underground ones (Troyes, Besancon) though some have been surface gated ones, stayed at an Etap with a locked compound one, also recently stayed at Holiday Inn Express in Arras which had an underground one. Not had a problem so far.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only done summer trips, but as everyone above just left everything in the car apart from a small bag. Even had bikes locked up on a bike rack left overnight. However, I wouldn't do that with my best bikes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Never stayed in a French Ibis/Ibisbudget, but have stayed in many in Germany/Austria/Switzerland en route to ski/MTB trips.
As above, most of the time I've left everything in the car with the exception of overnight bag and laptops. Sometimes I've used the underground carpark, but othertimes I've just parked in the street complete with skis/bikes and stuff inside (but reasonably covered up / obscured). €12/night underground parking for some Ibis hotels seems steep, but I guess it's a handy insurance if there's €4000 worth of bike inside.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Obviously in the UK I would never leave anything or any value visible in the car (or house for that matter). When I picked up a hire car in Spain I was told much the same thing, it's obvious it's a hire car so don't leave anything in it at all ever. The incidences of theft from hire cars there is apparently staggering.

However, in Austria it seems the norm to leave skis on full view in cars overnight. Just shows how the crime rates vary across Europe.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I took the decision to only stay in hotels with secure, lit car parks on the way down. Been using Novotel for the last few years, the ones I choose have gated car park access and 24hr security. Never had a problem.

On the way back I stay in the cheapest/most convenient place I can find, that's what insurance is for. But we have never had a problem in any of these either !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

However, in Austria it seems the norm to leave skis on full view in cars overnight. Just shows how the crime rates vary across Europe.

Ever seen a chav in Austria?................I haven't................could be a link methinks.

We always stop off at Dornbirn Martinspark on way to St Anton, unedrground carpark, never had issues, just leave all in car/ roofbox and throw a travel rug over back seats gear. Have also used Val Fayt in Belgium on way back home, same again no trouble.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is no way on this earth I am taking all the crap for 5-people into a hotel room overnight. Take laptop and anything else valuable and try and park close to reception or under lights. Is a risk both in UK at Premier Inn and our overnight stops in France but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Hells Bells, Of course at Val Moret your car is literally outside your bedroom!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Used many and always left the car loaded though always taken the laptop in, occasionally the wife and children too but always the laptop Laughing Laughing .

A hidden gem is the Holiday Inn Express in Reims that has a very, very secure car park and is just off the motorway.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My dad left a transit van containing literally everything I own overnight in a hotel car park in Reims or Dijon or thereabouts when he helped me move in here. That was a pretty pant-filling night.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boris, I don't think we'll be staying at Val Moret again though.
snow report
Hells Bells, did you have a bad meal or room there recently? It has always worked well for us and I do enjoy going to have a swim now if we are doing the journey in the UK direction.
snow conditions
stayed in Riems/Troyes and more usually Dijon on trips up and down from French Alps without issue. So long as valuable stuff is covered it shouldn't be an issue. The Accor hotels tend to have automated gates which are closed overnight - usually a problem arriving at 1am and trying to get someone on the reception to open them Smile but so far, so good.
ski holidays
Pamski, it is just a bit too far south for us,making the drive on day 2 a bit much, and there are options we prefer farther North. Our room was freezing, and son was given a room at the opposite end of the grounds to us. Nothing major, meal was OK, but not brilliant.
snow report
We liked the Val Moret, rooms were perfectly ok and the car was right outside, so we only took valuables into the rooms with us. I can see Hells Bells point about location though. Its the first time we've done this journey - we travelled out Fri pm and with hindsight we would have pushed on further before stopping. Coming back we did in one go, however if we had been stopping, I think we'd want to get a good bit closer to Calais.
ski holidays
Defender, We have had our car broken into. We take everything that is not insured to be in the car out. Then we sleep fine Very Happy
ski holidays
mikeh, it was made worse by the heavy snow on Sunday morning, and a 6 hour drive to Calais. Only made me even more certain it was too far south. It's too far for us in the other direction too. Chalons/Epernay is about perfect.
ski holidays
Picking up my car this Monday in Albertville, having broken down on Jan 29th. Had to leave 4 pairs of skis, 2 pairs of boots and 4 goggles in car, no insurance would cover them, and to add insult to injury, as we did not notify Privilege that we were going aboard, we are only covered 3rd party for the journey. I wonder if everything is still there ?!!!
latest report
A friend had his roof box emptied, really old tatty skis etc too. Then again, I just sleep in the front seat in a sleeping bag so can growl if anyone approaches the car Laughing
snow report
Quote:

to add insult to injury, as we did not notify Privilege that we were going aboard, we are only covered 3rd party for the journey.

I had an insurance policy a few years ago which required notification each time we went abroad - my present one doesn't, but that's a useful reminder to people to check. Does that mean you didn't have any breakdown cover. Sad

I expect your things are all still there.
snow conditions
Son's car was broken into on overnight stop to the alps (first night of the season) when he was competing and all his ski gear/ British team suit etc stolen. Had to replace things before he could ski. We always remove everything that is visible now, even in locked and lighted car parks. Son now travels on the Hull ferry so the car is locked in the hold overnight - he's not competing now but instructing all season so travels out with 5 months of gear.
Many of the cheap French hotel chains are used by the white van brigade, they will have gear in their vans too but it may encourage the local thieves.
ski holidays
Quote:

Quote:

to add insult to injury, as we did not notify Privilege that we were going aboard, we are only covered 3rd party for the journey.

I had an insurance policy a few years ago which required notification each time we went abroad - my present one doesn't, but that's a useful reminder to people to check. Does that mean you didn't have any breakdown cover.

Our F/C policy with Esure is only 3rd party outside UK, which I thought was fairly standard (but could be wrong on that). We notify them when we take a car abroad and for around £30 a week upgrade it to Fully Comp, which gives us full contents cover as well. We dont put higher value stuff, boots, jackets etc in the roof box, they get locked in the boot which is a bit safer.
latest report
mikeh, quite a few now include fully comp insurance for a limited number of days. Mine is 90 days (Tesco), some are 6 months (LV). Not all insurers need you to notify them either.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 22-02-13 15:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Obviously in the UK I would never leave anything or any value visible in the car (or house for that matter)

Not obvious to me. Fortunately I've never had anything stolen from either a car or a house in the UK (and I'm pretty careless about door and window locks too. It probably will happen someday but the risk does not, to me, justify either the hassle of carrying everything in all the time. The fear of crime and people's constant anxiety is likely to do as much damage as the actual crimes themselves - makes people anxious and furs up their arteries.

mikeh, that sounds a pretty duff policy. Mine includes 6 months abroad and long trips (LV) and I don't have to notify them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pam w - duff is relative - it does what we want it to. We dont take our car abroad very often, so its not a huge deal.
latest report
I've seen a few break-ins or aftermath thereof so I always take anything saleable into the hotel, transceivers, cameras, air bag anything that can be sold on the open market. Yes, you may be able to claim on insurance, but up goes the premium. It's you choice. Many cars get broken into on changeover day in resort, fully packed, laptops, cameras, the lot. Important thing is not to leave anything 'covered up', there's only one reason to do that.
ski holidays
Quote:

Important thing is not to leave anything 'covered up', there's only one reason to do that.

Yes, I've always wondered about that; my husband and I used to argue about it. He was a great "coverer up". Arguments both ways, I guess.
ski holidays
allanm, my household policy covers personal belongings and valuables in my car but only if they are not in view.
snow report
We usually end up with all the tat on the top - the bags that I produce at the last minute after OH has methodically packed the back of the car - so purchases from Boots, Sainsburys etc sit up there and don't really look very exciting, along with extra coats and the odd blanket for the journey.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy