Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worst drag lifts: nominations needed

Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from Risoul which has some corking drag lifts, including those up Homme de Pierre, so called because your old man feels like stone once you've been on that drag lift. Any other nominations?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The double drag between La Rosiere and La Thuile takes some beating. Lonnngg and flat. Take a good book.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 19-02-13 18:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Theres one in La Plagne that goes up a fairly long steep hill, you get to the top of that and realise it keeps going for another 1000 yards Laughing To be honest though nothing beats the catapult style ones in scotland on the nevis range
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Le Seigneur, Flumet. Very long, very steep, very narrow, only way down if you fall off is a short hike through woods followed by descent of a quite difficult and often ungroomed black piste. And try again....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There was one in Glenshee that was a killer. Basically it tried to yank you off your feet, then had a downhill bit which left you moving in front of the pole. So when you received the second yank you fell over.

I did. My husband laughed at me then did the same. We watched several people fall in the same place. The only way to beat it seemed to be to keep taking the pole out from between your knees.

Also a long steep T bar in Sonnenkoft near St Anton. Work of the devil. My husband and I fell off. A boarder fell off above us. Slid down until she bounced off our heads one after the other, then asked which way was down!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dobby, there used to be half a dozen in La Roz that could launch a 6 year old into orbit or dislocate your hip . . . don't know if they've been sorted 'Sevoliere' and the twin Lievre Blancs were particularly unpleasant.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Harrier at the Lecht, it does a huge scrotum wrenching initial pull.
Liftie sits back in his deckchair and enjoys the show.
Closely followed by the west wall poma at cairngorm which is one of the few I've seen to spit out boarders & skiers.

Did there not used to be one at Courcheval that banned snowboarders?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Russeh wrote:
Theres one in La Plagne that goes up a fairly long steep hill, you get to the top of that and realise it keeps going for another 1000 yards Laughing To be honest though nothing beats the catapult style ones in scotland on the nevis range

If you mean the Z (I think), it's been removed now.

Worst one I remember was in Montgenvre, we called it the "kick in the @ss" lift, because it was so violent it launched you into the air, both skis off the ground!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cretes in la Plagne sheer drop either side for around 50 metres, just some of that orange netting, yep that'll stop me Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roca Jack, Portillo - legendary

Face lift, Fernie - right pain in the bum on a board

Never ridden a Kiwi nutcracker which I hear are an acquired taste.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is one in Stari Vrh, Slovenia that is so steep it actually pulled me off the ground, and when you fall, as I witnessed an older lady do, you hit the big stumps of wood they have all along the side of it. There is nowhere to fall except into the people on the lift behind you,or risk impaling yourself on the wooden stumps. The woman I saw fall was actually bleeding.
I went on it once, and never again.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque wrote:
dobby, there used to be half a dozen in La Roz that could launch a 6 year old into orbit or dislocate your hip

Indeed there bloody well were...mind you, Masque, with your advancing years and medical history, a heated seat, demountable six-seater with protective bubble probably brings you out in a sweat... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, One like that in Wengen . . . Tschuggen ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kooky wrote:
There is one in Stari Vrh, Slovenia that is so steep it actually pulled me off the ground, and when you fall, as I witnessed an older lady do, you hit the big stumps of wood they have all along the side of it. There is nowhere to fall except into the people on the lift behind you,or risk impaling yourself on the wooden stumps. The woman I saw fall was actually bleeding.
I went on it once, and never again.

Laughing that has to be a winner.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The drag (bracke?) next to the park in Are Sweden, gets worse as the day and season goes on, rutted beyond belief, April last year it was pulling you over a pipe and through a run off stream. Not so bad as a skier but saw a lot of boarders with wetter than usual @rses.
latest report
Used to be one on swiss side of PdS. Had a 1/4 pipe kicker and that even launched me 6ft in to powder. Must be somewhere around Torgon / Morgins kind of area.
Also another T-Bar that goes downhill too somewhere on the swiss side.

T-bars ftw though.
snow report
Chasseur, Just to reiterate how scary it was, I was supposed to be watching LB represent GBR at the Pokal Loka, and needed to get on that lift to get to the start, I couldn´t do it Skullie I missed him race.
snow report
....although I don't want to discourage anyone from taking their money into some small local economies, there are some belting drags in the villages in switzerland. Arolla (fantastic place - the silence is tangible when you switch off the car engine and open the door) has a surprise when you access the mountain. The pistes are long, go high, and there's not a single chair. I kid you not, we got lifts from the bottom of the hill to the top....and it turned out to be 45 mins on drag lifts. Forty-five minutes. In a biting wind and spindrift. The skiing WAS worth it. But it was quite a price to pay.

Most humorous drag? the one at Courmeyeur with a 45 degree wooden ramp at the end and a 90 degree exit which needs to the actioned in 2 metres of space. Challenging.

Second most humorous drag? The steep one in the woods at Vallandry, relentless....and always a beginner coming off halfway up at the end of the day when it's about to close and it's the only way back to Les Arcs. Sometimes involves a carefully executed jump over a sliding body.
latest report
valais2, Shocked Shocked were your arms still in their sockets?????

The thing I hate most is sharing drags with "larger" people. I am quite tiny, 49kg fighting weight and when some hefty 100kg bloke tries to hop on with me, I am not a happy camper
ski holidays
I never saw it Evil or Very Mad but for those that saw Frosty the Snowman and his companion (who?) . . . both BIG fellas snap the rope on the T'bar in L2A on a steep bit . . . attest that it was a moment to cherish Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil forever
snow report
janeed wrote:
There was one in Glenshee that was a killer. Basically it tried to yank you off your feet, then had a downhill bit which left you moving in front of the pole. So when you received the second yank you fell over.

I did. My husband laughed at me then did the same. We watched several people fall in the same place. The only way to beat it seemed to be to keep taking the pole out from between your knees.

Also a long steep T bar in Sonnenkoft near St Anton. Work of the devil. My husband and I fell off. A boarder fell off above us. Slid down until she bounced off our heads one after the other, then asked which way was down!

Agree on this one, when the kids were small they nick named this lift 'Mary Poppins' Because they 'flew' most of the way to the top spinning round on the button without touching the ground. Landing was always a bit hit a miss, depending on which way they were facing !
snow report
prog99 wrote:
Harrier at the Lecht, it does a huge scrotum wrenching initial pull.

The times that I have used it the initial jerk helped you to clear the section of the lift track without snow.
ski holidays
LH HH
ski holidays
Quote:

it was so violent it launched you into the air, both skis off the ground!

I know several of those.... as long as you're expecting it's OK as long as you get put down again quickly.
ski holidays
Extreme left of Hochgurgl- the T-bar of doom.
snow report
Worst drag lift.....Wengen.

Masque, I think it was II
snow report
A few in Flaine are pretty brutal, around the Stade and above, great for keeping trayboys away Smile
snow conditions
Piccadilly wrote:

If you mean the Z (I think), it's been removed now.

Dont recall what it was called but good to hear its been removed Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sideshow_Bob, I'll 2nd that, was on one of them 2 years ago, right on the +45 degree section and it stopped, left hanging on for about 10mins, then bailed out as there were no signs of it moving, glad I did it stayed like that for another 20 mins Evil or Very Mad
latest report
I recall the button on Raise lifting a 10yr old girl 12 inches off the ground for a few yards. She stayed upright, dangling helplessly, but the button spun her round so she was facing downhill, then lowered her gently back onto the snow.
latest report
Tanzboden above Black 2 in St Anton

Looking to bring our 9 year old down a blue after lunch in whiteout, got a tiny but lost ( only a tiny bit)

It's ok says dad, there's a lift along here that gets us back to the top
Oh it's a drag, never mind

Actually it's a Tbar says ( screamed ? ) 9 year old who then swore / screamed blind she can't go up them (she has done)

Mind you
White out
Steep
Knee deep loose snow for me
Hence waist deep loose snow for her
Another dad on 3rd attempt with son on snowboard ahead of us
Portents not good

Best thing we ever did was falloff after 100m, even if we did have to try and side slip and snowplough back down said steep deep lift path to the annoyance of the spotty 10 year old manning the lift
Quarter mile walk uphill later we then went down Black 2 with no probs at all...

Got a chair couple of days later past the drag/T - after the place where we fell off it just got worse and there was no way back - how is that for fate ?
ski holidays
Le Fornelet (?) out of plagne montalbert? Seen multiple snowboarders pulling an 'assisted' front flip off it. I missed two before I could keep hold of one on launch (I worked as an instructor on a dry slope for years, I've never had problems with a drag before or since) and it left my boyfriend with mild groin strain and a knee sized bruise to both inner thighs after he decided he was going to make it on his third attempt come what may! Unsuprisingly we have never been back Evil or Very Mad

The one in vallandry is nowhere near as bad ime.
latest report
près de bois in Serre Chevalier.

1. is super steep
2. it pulls, slows almost to a stop,and then launches you forward again without any warning
3. you need to navigate over a narrow bridge right at the start
4. it goes through pretty dense trees so if you come off you are pretty well stuck, and also they cant get any machine up there so it becomes rutted.

It was not a lot of fun on a snowboard (I came off twice right at the start and then stayed on all the way). However, there was a helpful lifties, which is definately rare in France!
snow report
My favourite tbar experience was in Zermatt in the intineries off Rote Nase. I was on this Tbar by myself and I'm not very heavy and there are a few dips on the way up. The rope shortened and then didnt seem to want to lengthen again resulting in my being airbourne for quite sometime before I fell off!

The Tbar on the Glacier is unpleasant also. Slow, Flat (amost down hill) and very cold when I was there!
snow report
a.j., Fornelet II does have warning signs that it is very steep and for advanced skiers only Toofy Grin
oh yes, its springs are knackered as well, you get use to it as its several times faster than the chairlift next to it!
Yep La Plagne flat and crap lifts DO NOT go there!!! Toofy Grin
snow report
Don't like Gros Murger in La Tania, vicious start and long, don't really see the point of it as there is the gondola and last few times I have been there it has been closed anyway.

Didn't much like Ripaille in Les Crosets either, steep then flat and repeat and repeat, windy and long. Couldn't really see an alternative. At least you can choose button or T bar (the button is the best bet, stops less than the T).
snow report
ed123 wrote:
Extreme left of Hochgurgl- the T-bar of doom.

Agree with this one - a lovely slope to ski once you got up it but the T-Bar was awful
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
a.j., Fornelet II does have warning signs that it is very steep and for advanced skiers only Toofy Grin

but but...I AM an advanced skier dammit Toofy Grin I can do moguls an everything! Laughing Razz Yeah, I agree you do get due warning, but I still think it's a winner!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 19-02-13 22:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Prés du Bois , Serre Chevalier. Usually only open when the resort is busy, although it give some access to some nice tree skiing that is relatively untrackd. Not only is it steep, but you have to negotiate a mogul field to get to it. Yanks the arms out of the sockets on the way up, and has many warnings on how steep it is as you wait in the (thankfully) small queue . Alternative is the long queue at Cretes drag (also quite fierce with an awkward dog-leg), or a ski down to Villeneuve for the Casse du Beouf.
snow report
a.j., Nah the real winner (for La Plagne) was la Charmettes (replaced in 2006 by the La Roche chair) which was so steep it had warning signs along it's length pointing the way through the forest back to the nearest piste should you fall off! It was fed by the Emilie Alias piste which was a black, I reckon mainly to stop beginners getting to the Charmettes drag!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy