Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cant decide on these 3 goggles

Poster: A snowHead
I found these oakleys and cant decide,not so bothered about the mirror now

http://www.sunglasses-shop.co.uk/oakley-goggles/a-frame/jet-black-01-946/29946.aspx
http://www.sunglasses-shop.co.uk/oakley-goggles/o-frame/jet-black-02-678/30622.aspx
http://www.sunglasses-shop.co.uk/oakley-goggles/o-frame/jet-black-57-856/37484.aspx

thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd probably go with the A frames, but you need to try them on with youru helmet (if you wear one).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Before buying, have a look on this site - huge selection and usually at excellent prices:

http://www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk/

Bought my A frames from there and have been very pleased with the goggles, and the service received.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FWIW, I recently got a pair of Smith I/OX's after my old goggles fell apart, first swappable lens/'top of the range' goggles I've had (though the others certainly weren't bad), and I've been absolutely stunned at how good they are, you for sure get what you pay for with them. Even skinning with them, feeling sweat run past my eyes (inside the goggle), no fogging at all. Both low and high light lenses are incredible, vision is so much sharper and it's been a revelation actually being able to see in flat light.

Highly recommended.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 19-02-13 12:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999, +1 - they are truly excellent.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999, under a new name, oh dear - I was hoping that you would say the Smith's were hopeless!! I tried some on at the weekend as although I had my Oakley goggles with me when I bought a new helmet in November I haven't found them all that comfortable and they really are a little big and I end up with a squashed nose.

The Smith I/OXs with the two sets of lenses seemed just perfect but I had to come away when I saw the price and think about them (having had new jacket, ski pants and skis so far this winter) - they were about the same as I paid for my Oakleys three years ago.

But I do like

Quote:

you for sure get what you pay for with them.

and
Quote:

truly excellent.

so will probably succumb before we go back in March.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a 10 yo pair of Oakleys. I only wear them when it's snowing. They do the job well. As long you keep the vents clear they don't steam up.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wasley, I have 2 pairs of A Frames, and really rate them, only comment I have is look very serously at the hi intensity amber polarised lens, not cheap but brilliant (been covered on here before), also consider a spare yellow cheap lens for white-out days.

Must say clarky999, wasnt hanging about in those new Smiths...........good for laughing in when I was face planting I recall!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+ another for the Smiths, mine are the I/Os ones, suit smaller faces better. I have also been stunned by these in terms of really superb all round vision and no fogging. Very happy with them especially as I found them in TK Maxx at a bargain price Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do they all fit you? Having previously used (borrowed) goggles that did not fit me and squashed my nose so that I could hardly breathe, I'd say that's the most important factor.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yet another vote for Smith goggles. I've got the Phenoms and they are the only goggles I've ever used that don't fog (ever!).

Used to have the A-Frames - but suffered lots of foggy moments, so they had to go.

..... although it could just be that I'm a particularly sweaty person Blush
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I couldnt get online with my mobile to see everyones verdicts so i just took the plunge and went for the Oakley A frame/VR28 lens
I tried on the O Frame/Catapult & A frame but the A Frame seem so much better looking and quality
So i went in to Snow and Rock and they priced matched the on-line Website which had an additional 25% off as well
RRP £80 but got them for £48 delivered ..They seem to go for more than that on ebay scecond hand...Reading some of your verdicts i hope i made the right choice

http://www.sunglasses-shop.co.uk/oakley-goggles/a-frame/jet-black-01-946/29946.aspx
For Extra 25% = 25SALE

thanks nick
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999, I wouldn't mind treating myself to a new pair of really good goggles BUT I am completely bamboozled by all the different kinds. What does smith i/ox mean - there seem to be a range of very different goggles, all with that name?

I would like lenses for both low and bright light, interchangeable provided it doesn't take a full tool kit and 30 minutes of manual dexterity.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wasley, Good choice
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, I/O is Smith's slightly generic range which has a variety of sizes/shape modifications. I have standard I/O, I believe there's a larger version (X?) and a smaller version (S).

They have very easily interchangeable lenses - one thing to watch is that different frame colours are delivered with different lenses and sometimes only one. Replacements are pretty easy to find.

I have the Blue Sensor Mirror which works very well in poor light (although it isn't a strong enough tint on sunny days other than in December and January) and I think the Red Sol-X Mirror which works well on sunny days.

No problems with fogging but as with all mirrored lenses you do need to be careful about scratches.
snow conditions
anyone else absolutely stunned by the RRP of "high-end" goggles these days, and the big increase over the past few years? Shocked
ski holidays
Oakleys scratch inside, better to buy photoreactive sunglasses then you don't need a helmet either.
snow report
Bolle do a few pairs of googles with modulator lenses that adapt to the light conditions (26 to 66%).

e.g. Bolle Nova and Bolle Quasar

http://www.bolle.com/technology/goggle/lens-colors.aspx
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
clarky999, I wouldn't mind treating myself to a new pair of really good goggles BUT I am completely bamboozled by all the different kinds. What does smith i/ox mean - there seem to be a range of very different goggles, all with that name?

I would like lenses for both low and bright light, interchangeable provided it doesn't take a full tool kit and 30 minutes of manual dexterity.

I/O is the 'standard' version of their 'top line' goggle, I/OS is sized a little smaller, I/OX is a little bigger, and has some sort of extra etching on the lenses to further reduce fogging (though by all reports this is entirely unneccessary as the I/O's are just as good) - I bought them purely 'cos they fitted me better than the I/O's. Thankfully I was able to get a discount as they are bloody expensive, though not too outrageous considering they come with two lenses.

At first the lens change was pretty fiddly, but once you work out what's going on it's easily doable in under a minute.
latest report
clarky999, thanks. Do you get whichever two lenses they choose, or can you choose? and if the latter, what do you recommend. Not keen on the mirror ones - think it's a bit of a daft look on an old biddy. wink
snow report
pam w, It's weird but it depends on the frame colour as to which two lenses you get. Mine are mirrored but only subtly, you'd be fine Smile
snow report
Quote:

It's weird but it depends on the frame colour as to which two lenses you get

Puzzled That does indeed seem daft. Must look through the ads I've found. Some of them are a bit cockatoo-like. And not all would go with the bright green helmet I got in a sale in Decathlon. Confused
snow report
pam w, think you get whichever lenses come with that colour frame - though mine are different to what the website says... I have the black (not impossibly) strap (would have liked a brighter colour but that was the only one they had left, and as the shop has been good to me/gives me some discount I wasn't going elsewhere) and I'm pretty sure I have the Red Sensor Mirror and Red Sol-X Mirror (shame as the blue/green the website says they should come with would match my salopettes and helmet lol). Very happy with how they work though, but I suspect there isn't a huge amount of difference in lenses of the same type.

You can see the options here, click 'Lens Selector' for more details:

http://smithoptics.eu/products/#/Snow+Goggles/Vaporator+Series/IOX/view/
snow conditions
Oakley airbrakes, they are amazing!
snow report
I am shocked - shocked! The only possible SH answer to such a question is 'Buy all three then flog the two you decide you do not like enough through the site'

Shame on the rest of you!
latest report
kat.ryb wrote:
Oakley airbrakes, they are amazing!

i have these and they are great, bit pricey though.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
clarky999, thanks. Do you get whichever two lenses they choose, or can you choose? and if the latter, what do you recommend. Not keen on the mirror ones - think it's a bit of a daft look on an old biddy. wink

Conveniently Blister just posted a guide/mini-review of the Smith lense options:

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/smith-goggle-lens-guide
snow report
pam w wrote:

Smith are missing a great market opportunity here, they need to offer a "Blue Rinse" lense wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, no comment. wink Actually, I think mirrored lenses look pretty daft on anyone. Little Angel
snow conditions
DB wrote:
pam w wrote:

Smith are missing a great market opportunity here, they need to offer a "Blue Rinse" lense wink

They could do a "Rose Tint" for reminiscing about the past too, when everyone on the mountain was polite and let you go first, and nothing cost more than a pfennig and dirty dirty snowboarders hadn't been invented, with their hipperty hop music and strange ways.
latest report
Richard_Sideways, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
RattytheSnowRat, I thought the standard SH response would be "I don't understand why anyone would pay more for goggles than those that I bought in Lidl for £2.99"
snow report
I've got the A frames. Be careful with the inside lense i totally screwed them up.what i thought was a huge smear was the anti fog coming off cause i kept scrubbing with a damp cloth.
ski holidays
rust1d wrote:
I've got the A frames. Be careful with the inside lense i totally screwed them up.what i thought was a huge smear was the anti fog coming off cause i kept scrubbing with a damp cloth.

This is true for all Oakley snow goggle lenses. If you rub the inside when the lens is wet/fogged up, it smears the anti-fog chemical and looks like you're smudging your lenses. This is permanent.

I discovered this last week when our guide decided to 'help' me when my goggles fogged up after we had poled a couple of kilometres along the side of a road. I was singularly unimpressed.
ski holidays
Has anyone else found the I/O lenses seem to scratch more than any other goggle?
ski holidays
wasley - I have got a pair of jet black with fire iridium A frame okaleys and an oakley goggle hard case to go with them. They're used but well taken care of. There are two scratches on the lens but neither affect vision when you place the goggles on. I am looking for £40 for everything and will pay postage. I can get you some pictures up tonight if interested let me know
latest report
Quote:

This is true for all Oakley snow goggle lenses.

Yeah they come with a warning not to touch the inside of the lense at all. Sorry yours are ruined Sad
snow report
Just make sure to get an appropriate lens category (level of brightness) for what you want them for. Ideally polarised for your eyes, flexible for crunches,etc and in the right colour to match your outfit and so you can feel 'oh so cool..' on the slopes. (scuze the pun!)

For instance, I like my goggles to have visibility in white outs so I wear a category 2 lens goggle. This ensures maximum visibility in flat light which is what I want. There is a bit of glare in bright sunlight, particularly if you are looking at the sun directly (which you should never do anyway) but I put up with this for the vis they offer me in flat light which is my key requirement.

For the record my googles are Alpina, 'Fight' googles with a red, cat 2, polarised, bendable lens which I love!! And they beat the pants off my old Oakley Cat 3 lens goggles, but they are the wrong colour Sad but the match my helmet Smile so I put up with them!!
snow conditions
Whitters, well yeah. But that's only until they can wangle a cut price pair of decents ones here.
snow report
+1 for Smiths
I use the Phenom - fits nicely and doesn't fog.
I have two pairs with two different lenses:
- sensor mirror for when it's snowing / flat light
- ignitor mirror for all other times.
I didn't want to mess about with changing lenses on the slope, hence two pairs.
The ignitor is pretty versatile though, so if going for Smiths I'd probably go for that first.
Plus, if you need them to go skiing now, chances are this time of the year the light will be brighter?

Do try them on with your own helmet though.

I got mine from these guys a couple of years ago, but the site seems temporary out following troubles with Oakley: http://www.shadetraders.com/
They still seem to offer those through Ebay though, at very nice prices...

My wife uses Oakley (Stockholm) with a VR50 Pink Iridium lens: I couldn't try them on for skiing as they don't fit me, but the Pink Iridium is pretty sharp and versatile, coping well with different light conditions.
We got them from http://theinternetopticians.co.uk/ also a couple of years back and was happy with the service.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy