Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do Ski apps work without Data Roaming on

Poster: A snowHead
This will be my first year with a Iphone 4s .Do these apps track ok with the Data roaming switched off??
We are going to Sestriere and ive D/l 2 apps for that area and going to get SKI TRACKS as well.

Any experience of this

thanks nick
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You don't need data roaming on, they work from the phones gps. I used ski tracks recently and it worked great.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No not for ski tracks, have used it several times, just remember to turn it off when you get on the bus wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I also use Ski Tracks and as already said it uses GPS with no need for a data connection.
It does encourage you (well me anyway Embarassed) to try and go a bit faster than the last time so stay safe out there!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
feefee wrote:
No not for ski tracks, have used it several times, just remember to turn it off when you get on the bus wink

I came home from st anton in January and found out from strava that I was the fastest uphill cyclist in the world ...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We used ski tracks recently as did most people in our chalet. It was good fun. It may not data but it does use your battery Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use My Tracks with data off during day

With data off , you get stats, ie speed, time, etc

When you get access to a Wifi area, you upload your days ski track to Google maps, and you can see the terrain, etc.

If you sign on to Gmap, on a PC ipdad, you see your ski tracks, topology stats etc
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you have a Galaxy S2, take a charger with you for the lunch stop Mad Mad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I used Ski Tracks ans Alpine replay at the same time in Sauze D'oulz and Sestriere two weeks ago.

Both only need GPS (free) to run, but you have to upload the Alpine review at the end of the day which was Ok for me as there was free Wi-fi in the hotel.

My HTC one X was still more then half charged at the end of the day. I made sure both data and bluetooth where off to save power. (and anything else that is running and you can turn off)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
crazy_skier_jules wrote:

and an iPhone 3G/3GS, probably the 4 and the 5.

Being a cyclist/runner and geek I have 2 Garmin's so use those instead.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

found out from strava that I was the fastest uphill cyclist in the world ...

Was it as fast as me?

Somewhere I've got a mach 1 uphill cycle ride, but I really don't want to go through all the GPS files to find it.

Data off is perfect - might even want to put it in flight mode? (might only work on Android - not sure - think iPhone and some others have GPS on same chip as 3G, so it eats a bit more power than necessary but still with data disabled).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hammerite wrote:
crazy_skier_jules wrote:

My two and a bit year old iPhone 4 still has around 60-70% battery left after a full day's use of Ski Tracks however if I use MapMyRide when out on the bike it consumes the battery in no time at all. The developers of Ski Tracks have done well in this regard imo.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
swiftoid, I have a 3G and last time I used it my battery was indicating 10% charge left by lunch time. However, this could also be user error. Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swiftoid wrote:
hammerite wrote:
crazy_skier_jules wrote:

My two and a bit year old iPhone 4 still has around 60-70% battery left after a full day's use of Ski Tracks however if I use MapMyRide when out on the bike it consumes the battery in no time at all. The developers of Ski Tracks have done well in this regard imo.

Same here , an old iphone 4 still has 60/70% battery after a whole days usage of ski tracks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alpine Replay is another to consider. Free, well supported, decent website to back it up, and seems to do better than most at avoiding the duff data points that some of the above point out. And as to the original question: yes, it works without data roaming (although it might get a quicker fix on the satellites at the start of day if you do have a data connection).
snow report
I was using Navionics Ski Europe in paradiski last week. It's pretty good but annoyingly seems to auto stop your "Track" (e.g at lunch) and not continue in the afternoon when you start moving again; so I've got a few "half days" tracked. Considering the price I'd at least expect to have an option to do that / override the default.

The interface is good, and on a HTC One X I had ~50% battery left at the end of the day with 3g and background data disabled. The app already has the pistes / lifts downloaded so no need for data unless you want a google maps layer as well (which you can do before you set off). Seems to pick up some mad speed readings though.

Didn't use the routing function, just seemed too much of a faff.
snow report
I've never used any of these apps. But on the battery consumption, don't they have a control for you to vary the sampling rate? I would think less sampling == less battery consumption?

Granted, it would be less accurate with lower sampling rate but you really don't need all that accuracy if you're not using the app for navigation anyway.
ski holidays
abc, probably wouldn't make much difference to power consumption. The RF bit would have to work permanently. Would affect the waking up of the CPU every N seconds I suppose.

Accuracy will be diminished a bit anyway due to sampling. Schuss or straightline down a hill will be more accurate than S turns for example, unless you're going really slowly zig zagging down the piste. Noticed this on a bike - ride up loads of switchbacks (slow) and it tracks them pretty well, but then come back down (fast), and it trims off and shortcuts all the corners. So if you lower the sampling rate, it just makes that worse.
snow conditions
That was with everything switched off... the S2 just has a really cr*p battery. I also found out on my holiday in January even when kept in a pocket the screen starts being affected by the cold... first it gains horizontal lines, and then the screen completely freezes, until you take it inside and warm it up. Very scary as I thought I'd permanently conked my phone the first time it happened. Dunno why, I am guessing the liquid crystals in the screen freeze? No idea though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy