Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zinal and Grimentz

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, first time post after lurking for some time.

I have a few days staying in a friend's apartment in Villars booked for later this month. We are thinking of having a day at another resort and were contemplating a trip to Zinal and Grimentz. It's about a 90 minute drive (a bit hairy at the end I'm told!) but I've heard the skiing is great there and it's usually quiet and so I'm told it's worth the journey.

I know the resorts are linked by ski bus although I gather it's possible to ski back on a black/itinerary run from Zinal to Grimentz. The question I have is from which place it would be best to start and to park the car. Would it be easiest to park in Grimentz and then ski in Grimentz and then catch a bus over to Zinal at some point in the day and ski back to Grimentz at the end of the day? Or vice versa? Or maybe it doesn't much matter? Or maybe there's more than enough skiing to keep us amused for a day at either resort and we should abandon any thought of doing them both in a day?

Any relevant information would be much appreciated.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zinal uplift is a cable car, Grimentz is a gondola so this means can be queues at Zinal in the morning. Wouldn't bother doing both in a day except if you want to see as much as possible.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
whollymoley, you can ski to Grimentz from Zinal, and then get a bus back. I guess it depends what kind of/standard of skiing you want. Grimentz has more pistes, both have some great off piste......
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies. I think we'll start at Grimentz and see how we go. The run back from Zinal to Grimentz looks good though so we may try and squeeze that in. Otherwise assuming we like it we may come back and stay for a few days and see the area properly.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
whollymoley, ...can you NOT tell people about some of the best kept secrets in the Alps please! ... these are great areas which attract very small numbers of skiers ... the last thing we want is a 30-second wait for the lift, I'd start getting impatient, as it is there's usually zero wait for the next uphill....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
whollymoley, be interested how you found the skiing etc relative to Villars. No contest in my mind but interested to hear...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ChrisJersey - sadly in the end we never made it. It was very warm with poor visibility (awful combination!) in the week we were in Switzerland (second week in March) and we thought we wouldn't see Zinal and Grimentz at their best so decided to save that treat for another time. Spent quite a bit of time up at Glacier 3000 instead where the snow was good and mostly above the cloud line.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
whollymoley, shame. If you do make it over in the future or want more info just PM me.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy