Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Tignes at Easter - first time advice needed!!

Poster: A snowHead
OK folks need as much advice as possible. Firstly we are a mixed bunch me and daughter have 2 weeks skiing exp in Andorra, boyfriend is black run aficionado and his 2 kids have never skied.

I will be driving from south west France to Grenoble, picking them up at the airport and driving to Tignes Val Claret 2nd week of Easter hols. Picking up at Grenoble at 9.30am on the Saturday.

I've never been to the ALPS so I'm not sure what to expect - how snowy are the roads likely to be that late in the season? Any particular stretches I need to look out for? Is the traffic normally that bad this late in the season? Timing - would I be better off waiting until later in the day to complete the Grenoble to Tignes stretch?

Does anyone know which is the name of the covered car park in Val Claret? All I can find is that one is covered and one isn't so no idea which one to book!

Ski School - the kids and I will do ski school, I'm looking at ESF - views, opinions etc? My daughter speaks ace French so would manage even in an all French class. The other 2 are both nervous types but I'll see how they cope on the dry slope locally first.

Anything else I should be looking out for considering. I'm very used to general driving in France as I do about 4000 miles a year there so not worried about the legal stuff, tolls etc as I have it all covered.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jellybabe, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Can't answer all the questions, but as to the state of the roads, there's no knowing. Could be completely clear and dry, or you could be driving up in a blizzard. You must have snowchains, whether or not you have snow tyres, and know how to use them - if it's one of those snowy Saturdays the police might well be preventing anyone without chains from going up the road to the resort.

All Saturdays are pretty busy, up and down to the resorts, and Tignes will be rightly popular at Easter because it is so high. But Easter isn't one of the most crowded times - you'll probably be fine, though you can expect a fair bit of traffic.

ESF isn't the best ski school in Tignes, though it probably is the cheapest. You could strike really lucky with ESF and have great lessons for not much money. But some people have poor experiences, especially with large kids groups in holiday periods. To be more sure you could book lessons with BASS Tignes but they'll cost more - guaranteed small groups. But Tignes is quite spread out - you need someone more acquainted with the resort than I am to identify which ski schools (there are other good ones) are closest to your accommodation. I would book in advance, to be sure of getting what you want.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for this. I'm only driving a Zafira so have chains on order (luckily from the little local garage I know in France who are doing me 2 decent sets for 120 euro).

Interesting on the ski school. My daughter got moved into an intermediate group on her 3rd day first week of ski ing in Andorra so is pretty competent (in fairness she figure skates at n Iational level so has a lot of that balance stuff going on). I'm a less confident intermediate. I've got the other kids 2 hours of private lessons on a nearby dry slope so at least they know how to put skis on before we go. Any thoughts on whether it might be worth considering private lessons for the 2 beginners. They will have to leave on the Friday so will only get 4 days of ski school anyway. Might an hour a day for the 4 days prove better value?

Views on how safe Tignes Val Claret is? My daughter (13) doesn't want to come to the airport on the Friday morning. She thinks she will be ok going to ski school, then getting some lunch with me back about an hour later. I'd be happy with that in Arinsal where we've been before, she's very mature, but Tignes looks like a very busy resort and I'm not sure how they handle things.

Looking at BASS Tignes now.

Huge thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I'm only driving a Zafira so have chains on order (luckily from the little local garage I know in France who are doing me 2 decent sets for 120 euro).

Not sure what you mean by "only a Zafira". And you only need one set of chains, on the driven wheels.

The problem with just having a few short lessons for your beginners is - what do you do with them the rest of the time? They might be more productively occupied in longer group lessons. How old are they?

Couldn't say how safe tignes Val Claret is - but I wouldn't worry about leaving her going to ski school. i think I'd make her promise to have lunch straight afterwards, and not go off skiing on her own, though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry got distracted trying to make the BASS site work.

I was advised to get chains for the back as well as front on the zafira as they have a tendency to "swing" in snow. The only was just meaning not a fancy 4 x 4 or anything. I'm trying to way things up and it is so tricky not knowing how they will take to it. In Andorra my daughter (10 at the time) did 2 hours ski school and went up the mountain with a friends parents. She was comfortable on reds when I was still side stepping up a slope.

The other kids are just turned 8 and 10 not the most confident kids in the world. I think I'll see how they get on at the dry slope at the weekend and then decide.

Daughter is quite good, it will be the end of the week so hopefully she'll have made friends, will have phone etc. I have a strict rule about not ski ing alone anyway as saw a nasty accident on a nursery slope and parents were in the bar 40 minutes away!

Huge thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Our 12 year old enjoyed group lessons with Evolution 2 in Tignes. They seem to get good reviews from most clients. Worth one practice at least at fitting snow chains. I always found them difficult and not good to be trying to fit them the first time when halfway up a mountain road in a blizzard.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I was advised to get chains for the back as well as front on the zafira as they have a tendency to "swing" in snow.

Hmm, no idea about that but it's very uncommon to see cars with chains on all 4 wheels on ordinary roads. There are some knowledgeable SHs about cars (I don't number amongst them). I think it would be worth a separate thread asking whether a Zafira needs two sets of chains. Huge hassle, and extra expense. You most definitely don't need a 4 x 4 - some big 4 x 4s are a menace in snow, so top heavy. I have driven in the mountains for the last ten winters with very ordinary cars, don't worry.

If your beginners are not super confident they might do better in a small BASS group with a native English speaker rather than a bigger ESF group. I've had lessons with Evolution 2 - they were v good, but it was 4 years ago I think.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The only time I can see you needing chains front and back is if you are rear wheel drive and then you need chains for the driving wheels at the back and the turning wheels at the front. You won't need 4 chains otherwise! I'm pretty sure that your zafira is front wheel drive and so you will just need them on the front.

Make sure you put your chains on a couple of times before you leave. Remember, when you need to you are not going to be putting them on when youre parked up and lying down on the driveway in the light! You will be lying in the road, in a blizzard, in a foot of snow with cars whizzing by you inches from your head and sliding around everywhere!

Take a torch, headtorch is best, some decent gloves, wetwipes (you will get filthy) and just make sure you know how to do it with your eyes closed! The amount of times I've driven past a car stuck o the side of the road with a family trying to put on and struggling is unbelievable!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would second the recommendation for Evolution 2 in Tignes. I've had all sorts of lessons with them over the years, technical clinics, ski school and private lessons and all the instructors have been fab. I've also heard good reports from parents about their children's lessons.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I was advised to get chains for the back as well as front on the zafira as they have a tendency to "swing" in snow

Laughing Reminds me of an Espace in Val Thorens that had snow socks on all four wheels. It slid sideways into the wall at the side of the carpark exit ramp, a Gendarme who had been watching then sauntered over and had a word with the drive, the Police Municipal tow truck soon arrived Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It will take about 2 hours to get from Grenoble airport to Tignes, The most difficult part of the journey will be Grenoble. After that it is straightforward motorway/dual carriageway to Moutiers then a fairly straightforward road up to Tignes. Expect a fair number of dutch and Belgian cars on the road. Though you should carry snow chains it is unlikely that you will need them. Personally I would park in the vast open carpark in Val Claret; even if it snows a lot during the week this carpark will be kept fairly clear. Apart from a few times over new year when I have spent 30 minutes digging the car out in Les Arcs I have never felt the need for covered parking. If you are driving a diesel engined car then it might be a good idea to top up with fuel in Bourg st Maurice since I doubt they will be using winter diesel in the south of the country at that time of year.

Since you will arrive at lunch time (9:30 from Grenoble) why not sort all the ski hire etc out and take the kids for a play on skis in the snow using the baby lifts, which may be free on a Saturday. BTW if you are leaving on Friday how do you manage to get 4 days of ski school. I make it 5. Or are you planning not skiing on Thursday.

As to lessons. Personally I would always advocate group lessons, particularly for beginners. They are a lot more fun since you are all in it together.

I am not sure what you mean by
Quote:
how safe Tignes Val Claret is?
. I would imagine the biggest danger is crossing the road (not a joke). Having only skied in Soldeau in Andora I would rate Tignes as safer. Only you and your daughter know how reliable she is.

As to hints and tips. At that time of year and altitude the sun is really fierce so take plenty of factor 50 sun block and use it liberally. Remember that as you get hot you will probably open your jacket as well. Cover all areas likely to get exposed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

It will take about 2 hours to get from Grenoble airport to Tignes, The most difficult part of the journey will be Grenoble.

It will take 2 hours 40 (legally wink ) as for routing the choice of champions (and transfer cos based here) is D119 and A48 direction Lyon, A43 to Chambery A43 and A430 to Albertville then Moutiers, Bourg St Maurice followed by the Stairway to heaven (aka the D902). Avoid Grenoble at all costs on a Saturday
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Grenoble airport is, of course, nowhere near Grenoble. wink It's in the middle of nowhere.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its a lot closer to Grenoble than London Southend is to Errrrr London Laughing

Bit easier to land aircraft in that wide open valley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Talking to friends in Grenoble and they say that it is not certain how long the airport will stay open for. Apparently the airport has very little traffic and is loosing money. Though they live in Grenoble they always fly from either Lyon or Geneva. It appears there are only 9 airlines using the airport and they only fly to about a dozen destinations. It would be a shame if it were to close, but I doubt it will be with us much longer.

pam w, It reminds me of a story about a hiker in the Yorkshire Dales who walked the few miles from the village of Dent to Dent railway station. Once he got there he asked the stationmaster why they didn't build the station closer to the village to which the stationmaster replied "We thought about that sir, but overall thought it would be better near the railway line" I suspect the airport should really be called Lyon, St. Geoirs. But then it took me a while to realise that Lyon Satolas had changed its name and that Lyon - Bron had closed down.
snow report
johnE, I guess its all feast or famine at Grenoble (and Chambery for that matter). As far as I can tell from the website is run and managed for the Isere Development Council. For sure it is running at capacity on Saturday's in the ski season and close to capacity on Sundays but that's only 40 days a year. However, if it closed where would all the UK charters go - GVA and LYS seem to at or about capacity on transfer days. Perhaps they see it as essential for supporting tourism. If you look at the number of charters that arrive that ups the number of destinations and airlines quite significantly.
latest report
Wow! Huge thanks everyone. Ok this is where I've got to so far.

Ski school- going evolution 2 after lots of digging around.

Snow chains- spoke to my local garage down near Biarriitz (I spend 3 months a year there and they've rescued me several times with puncture repairs, tyres and things so I trust them) They said I will get away with one set of chains. As I'll be down there first week of Easter hols they have agreed to help me practice with the chains so I'll have a week to have a go at it (and they are not going to charge me)!

We picked Grenoble airport (like so many airports nowhere near Grenoble, but I think that works to our advantage) because the difference in the flight prices for the 3 was about £180 which I'd rather spend having fun, plus I was hoping it might be a bit quieter than Geneva or Lyon.

Daughter staying in resort - Well I'm going to wait and see and hope she pals up with someone who can walk up to ski school with her or try asking if I can pay one of the instructors to do it, she could then stay for supervised lunch with them. It seems unfair that she would lose a whole mornings ski school otherwise.

On the ski school note - I was assuming lessons ran Monday to Friday and therefore they would only get 4 days is this not correct? If they could do Sunday to Thursday that would be awesome! I'll try giving Evolution 2 a call later. Am so excited!!!!

Thanks again folks for all your help. So glad I found this site.
ski holidays
Quote:

they have agreed to help me practice with the chains so I'll have a week to have a go at it (and they are not going to charge me

sounds like a great garage - I have one like that here, it's worth a lot.
ski holidays
Yep they are top notch! They knew my husband before he died and they make a point of looking out for me. Last year I had a panic about how my car was handling and I was about to do the drive to Calais with my daughter. They spent an hour checking it out, did a test drive etc and didn't charge me a penny, just fed me coffee and pastries until I was calm enough to drive! It is nice to find nice people.
snow report
Quote:

using the baby lifts, which may be free on a Saturday.

The Bollin lift in Val Claret is free all the time. It gives access to the beginners slope which should be pretty quiet on a Saturday. If by any chance it isn't you might consider hopping on the free bus to le Lac to use the similarly free Rosset beginners lift and slope.

One more vote for Evo2 but then you same to have made your decision on that one Very Happy

As to the safety of Val Claret, there is no need to cross a road at all once you are there. Otherwise I would agree with johnE, that only you and your daughter know how generally reliable she is. There are no location-specific hazards that I can think of in Val Claret.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy