Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meanderings through France-Restaurants just off the autoroutes.

Poster: A snowHead
We're off to Serre Che in March. We're having a more relaxed journey down as someone is in our apartment until Saturday, so we're stopping of in Reims and Beaune (you see a pattern emerging?). Taking the ferry down, so will eat on board, but on our return trip we're keen to avoid huge queues we experienced in the autoroute service stations in January. We're travelling back on Easter Saturday so are expecting it to be worse. There was aa30 minute queue for Courtpaille and no sandiwches left in the snack place. A late lunch is out of the question due to evening meal booked in a very nice restaurant.
In summer we take a picnic and find a nice Aire, but late March might not be that good.

So we're looking for somewhere around either Macon, Villefranche or Bourg-en-Bresse (nice to have a couple of options as we vary our route depending on traffic) preferably just off the autoroute. No need for a full lunchtime blow out. Quick steak frites or something similar would be fine.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Other recommendations for other destinations also welcome. Will try and add some ourselves here too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hells Bells, Have you tried any of the Flunch places ? I have only been to one in Grenoble but would eat there again.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The good old Val Moret should be a reasonable bet, and you can't find many places closer to the motorway. Not exactly small and characterful but good quality and reliable.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, too far North for us to be there by 2pm though. I wasn't that impressed when we stayed there in January.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells, I stayed in a fantastic little privately run hotel in Avallon last November. A bit out of your area but just off the A6 about 50kms from Beaune. I had a drop-dead gorgeous meal in the restaurant of a Logis de France hotel (not quite in Avallon, closer to the Autoroute) in the same area a few years back, Logis Hôtel de Relais Fleuri. First time I had had rabbit for donkey's years and simply adored it. The wines were also out of this world! I tasted my first Bourgogne Aligoté there and was immediately smitten! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs wrote:
Hells Bells, Have you tried any of the Flunch places ? I have only been to one in Grenoble but would eat there again.

Thanks, but not really our thing.

Sue not beyond reach for lunch if we manage an early getaway but we should probably be on A31 by then instead of heading toward Auxerre.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells wrote:
rjs wrote:

Thanks, but not really our thing.

How is it that different to motorway services or Courtpaille ? Apart from being bigger and quicker to get served.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs, that is why we are looking for somewhere other than motorway services. It was fine until they refurbed it last year. Now it is just overcrowded.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had a damn good steak-frites in Villefranche s/S once. We just kind of pulled off the autoroute, headed into the middle of town, and wandered into somewhere likely-looking. It was easy to park right outside, but having motorbikes might have helped. I have no idea what it was called, but I think it had an awning.

Sorry, were you looking for a helpful answer?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
harrisontherabbit, Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
how many restaurants with awnings can there be in France?! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells, After driving to Sainte Foy on average 3 times a year for the last 10 years we stopped in central Lyon for the first time just after Christmas it will not be another 10 years before we stop again! Loads of superb restaurants in Old Lyon that I cannot wait to get back to. Lyon has more than its fair share of Michelin starred restaurants as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fogliettaz, Lyon is on my list for a stopover in the near future. We stayed there on our first ever self-drive trip after leaving La PLagne after lunch. Fab place, loved the Roman stuff, ampitheatre etc. Can't remember where we had lunch now though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wish Lyon and Geneva would change places.
latest report
pam w, Grenoble is quite nice too. It looks awful when you dirve around it on the Rocade though. I got to know it and the great tram system quite well when J was in hospital there.
snow report
Geneva always seems so very dull. But I end up going there quite a lot, inevitably.
snow conditions
Looks like I'll be heading to my favourite hotel website Logis de France or to Michelin to sort this one out.
latest report
Hells Bells, always my first port of call when booking hotels in France!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy