Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best way to get to PSV (without hitching)?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, yippee, I'm trying to price up a ski holiday and have all prices for Puy Saint Vincent (thank you Easy Jet and Airbnb!) but I can't find any reference online about the best way to get from Grenoble to either PSV or Briancon. Has anyone done this recently? Do buses go there? I could hire a car but seeing as the accommodation is by the slopes - it might be best to do without a car. But I'm open to suggestions...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sofia, Try here.

EDIT: That PDF doesn't really go into much detail, I found a bus timetable for Grenoble - Briancon here and one for Briancon - PSV here.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 16-02-13 23:35; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sofia, Turin would be a better airport but there's some info on Serre Chevalier website which might be useful

http://www.serre-chevalier.com/en/winter/trip-planner/how-to-get-here/

Public bus to Briancon runs from Grenoble train station, you need to take a shuttle from the airport.

To get to PSV you would need a bus or taxi from Briancon,
I found an old bus timetable online, but suspect it won't have changed much http://www.ot-briancon.fr/docs/briancon-argentiere-puysaintvincent.pdf
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Merci, your short answer is very useful! So we reckon there should be a train between Grenoble and Briancon? Because your PDF seemed to only refer to direct TGV.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hells Bells thank you. I'll check out Turin too - but that information is excellent. Thanks x
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sofia, there is no TGV service to Briancon, although it does have a railway station. Nearest would be Oulx-Bardonnechia which is still in Italy. Train to Briancon from Grenoble would be very slow, but there would probably be a stop down the valley for Puy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The nearest station to Puy St Vincent is Argentiere les Ecrins (not to be confused with the Argentiere near Chamonix). It is one or two stops from Briancon which is the end of the line. We took a sleeper train from Paris to Argentiere les ecrins and a taxi from the station to the resort (10 mins drive from memory). I would recommend booking the taxi in advance as the station is very small.

I think there is a train from Grenoble to Briancon but have a feeling it is very slow (4 hours maybe) and only runs a few times a day.

There are regular trains from Turin to Oulx but from there you would need to get a bus to briancon followed by a taxi to PSV...also slightly long winded.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can(t help feeling car hire would be quicker, easier and quite possibly even cheaper.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah well. Ok - looks like I might just have to get a car....! Thanks all Smile This might be why Puy St V is not quite as busy as other slopes....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Trains are a pain, just look Shocked

http://www.raileurope.co.uk/default.aspx?tabid=101

It's cheap at ­­£26 return but journey times range from just under 4 hours to 5+
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think hiring a car may be the best option. It would also enable you to ski one day in a neighbouring resort - I think a day in Serre Chevalier might be on the lift pass but am not sure as we only skied in PSV when we were there and it was some years ago.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Car hire is best option, we did it 2 years ago and skied 4 local resorts (checkout the web site PSV)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you get a car, defo go and check out the baths in Monetier Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Trouble is once you're up a mountain some people prefer to stay up there if not use to driving in the mountains.

If roads are reasonably clear and you don't mind driving then here's a selection of what you can do, if you have the time and are not too knackered from skiing.

As someone's mentioned, baths in Monetier about 55 min drive - however does depend which road you take - if you look at this map
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=44.834691,6.597118&spn=0.066101,0.168056&t=m&z=13 you'll see the main N94 Gap/Embrun Briancon road, and for PSV you turn off at Argentierre - however a much faster route is the little D4 road, especially if going to Serre / Briancon and Montgenevre etc but can be a little gnarly.

If you fancy a bit of culture then hang a right out of Argentierre and head down towards Ebrun and take a look at Mont Dauphin, this is a truly spectacular Vauban fortress citadel, and do make sure to visit old town Briancon, we often take visiting friends there after a days skiing.

Montegenevre (France) which is on the border Italy and Clavierre can be a different alternative, if only doing one day elsewhere I'd probably choose that over Serre as there's a couple of little gems in Clavierre to eat - one of our favourites being http://www.claviere.it/it/la-localita/dove-mangiare/ristoranti/115-bar-ristorante-pub-gallo-cedrone.html#.USI3g6VM-GI

And if going up to / coming back from Montgenevre then worth going up the Nevache valley - and if you're all feeling really adventurous then from Briancon follow the signs for the Route Napoleon - the road will stop at Le Laus just up from Cervieres and from there you can walk up to the Col I'Zoard and have lunch at the Refuge Napoleon.

There is so much to do, however if you're only there for a week then I do appreciate that legging it all over the place might not suit you.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And it wouldn't even be for a week because my Other Half is not keen on snow sports and is only really agreeing to this because it is my significant birthday and I have leverage. It will be 4 or 5 days at most. But he might like to drive around and escape, who knows.
Thank you so much for all the help and hints - they'll come in handy. Now, please try and send happy vibes in the direction of my husband....!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy