Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family ski 2014, Folgarida or other?

Poster: A snowHead
After spending the last three trips at Puy we feel that our kids are growing out of it and we would like to try somewhere else. We have two kids who will be 12 and 9 next year. Looking for a good family based resort. Thinking of going in February 2014 so thinking of avoiding France (because too busy with French holidays). Just stumbled across Folgarida on here which looks great. But wondering...

What's the transfer like (we have one child who suffers badly with motion sickness and mountain roads not good)
What is there to do in the evenings for this age group?
And what's the ski school like etc
And any other tips welcome

Or if you can recommend a small-ish resort for famill ski group I would be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kapow,
Transfer is around 3 hours but only a few hairpins on the last few km,s. Not a lot to do in evening tbh. Is school seemed very good but this could be just the instructor my kids had. Nice huts on mountain and good value.
Overall a nice place but relatively limited ski area and quiet in evening.
Mitch
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for your reply. I'm guessing there isn't much in the way of sledging etc in the evenings? Are kids allowed in the bar area? Or is there anywhere for them to go apart from stay in the hotel room?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The three hours quoted is a little optimistic. Done it twice. 3:45 first time; 3:15 second time. The great majority of the journey is on good, straight-ish roads. Not too bad for adults who can enjoy the scenery but a bit tedious for kids. Our coach wasn't full so all the kids got together with their DS's, which in addition to helping pass the time, meant that they had made friends before we were even in the resort. Ski school was excellent. My eldest (9 at the time) was coping with reds by the end of the week. The resort is quiet at night; the torchlight procession and display by the instructors seems to be the highlight of the week. I can particularly recommend the Hotel Renzi for families. While children are allowed in the ground floor bar area, they are (quite reasonably) expected to behave themselves. However, on the first floor is a large children's area with a dance floor (Italian DJ/organizer), bar football and table tennis. The kids can let off a little more steam here. There are also lots of settees and armchairs for parents of younger children who might otherwise feel a little uneasy in the downstairs bar while their children are unattended.

I'd have to disagree about the 'limited' skiing. I'm assuming that after three trips your kids are pretty competent.The long blue back down to 1300 is a joy to ski 'con la famiglia', as is the red to 1400. There is also a black down to 1300 but our two weren't ready for it. There are some lovely reds between Folgarida and Marilleva; Mastellina springs immediately to mind. You can also get an extended lift-pass and ski to Madonna di Campiglio. Just bear in mind that the red that brings you back to the Folgarida sector has a reputation for being quite a bit more difficult than other reds in the area. Just as a yardstick; my kids are 12 and 8 and have skied for 3 weeks. I wouldn't hesitate to take them on that piste. Just one more thing; all the hotels (even the Renzi which is only 100m away) run free ski-buses to the gondola. This is a great help with young children, although if you are anything like me you'll be making the 'little bleeders' carry all their own gear now. Smile

Hope this helps.[/i]
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Gaz, that's helpful. I know it sounds a bit trivial, but is there one table tennis table? If there's nothing much else to do then that would keep my two happy for the evening, but I guess it's popular.

I am drawn to a small company. We've been so impressed with snowbizz previously that we'd like something similar but caters for the older kids. The skiing sounds perfect for us. Really want to avoid the large TOs and not confident enough to do DIY! Such a mind field!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, just the one (or at least there was when we were last there in 2011). We got to use it without having to wait forever most evenings. The kids were a bit younger than what yours will be so half an hour was plenty for them (and me Smile ). I don't recall there being much pressure for us to 'clear off and give someone else a go' though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm in Folgarida right now Smile

Transfer time, obviously, depends upon where U are transferring from. Venice has the most flights to it but Verona is much closer.
I'm quite a fan of rail travel - U avoid the airport security circus and reduce road transfer times.
Yesterday we arrived by train in Malé, from where a cab cost 30€ and took about 20mins.

If U want to avoid a road transfer altogether, send the bags up in the cab and get off the train at Marileva from where U can jump on the gondola and ski to Folgarida. That pre-supposes you'll have your own ski kit with you of course snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kapow,

Haven't used them but 'folgarida.co.uk' seem to do an all inclusive package for the area which seems good value.
Pretty sure our transfer was only 3 hours by coach but maybe I,m forgetting exactly.
Its a nice place & sure you would enjoy if you went.
People are very friendly too.............mind you , most Italian places I've been to are as well.
Mitch
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks,admin, food for thought. That would be ace to ski the last bit but no don't have own skis. How long was the train journey? What's the snow conditions like out there? And is the resort busy? (As we are thinking of this week next year)
Enjoy the ski!
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Mitchell, yes I found the website from doing a search on here. It sounds good! If not so much to do in evening then we might even get some quality family time together...or sleep! 3 hours transfer time isn't so bad with most of journey on motorway, but a shorter one would be a bonus Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Eurostar to Paris = 2h20
Sleeper to Verona = 0 time as we were asleep Wink (arrive 07:25)
Local train to Trento or Mezzocorona = 1h30
Urban train to Malé = 1h ish.

We actually got into Malé at about 11AM and Folgarida about 11:30 although we'd have saved 10-15 mins if I'd known which taxi number worked before I got there. Most of the ones on the list at the station were defunct for one reason or another - "No signori, this is hotel" rolling eyes

The snow here is excellent - great cover, grippy pistes: even a fair bit of new snow over on the Madonna side this afternoon.
Resort was busier today than yesterday, not bad though. A few busyish pistes - or sections of piste, no lift queues to speak of. We'll see about tomorrow.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've just booked!!! Very Happy so excited!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kapow wrote:
We've just booked!!! Very Happy so excited!

Have a good one. Hope you like it. Think you will. Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kapow, we had 5 trips to Puy with our boys, followed by one to another small French resort and then a couple in Folgarida. We loved Puy but maybe grew out of it. We wanted something that wasn't a massive resort and Folgarida delivered for us twice. My children were a year or so older than yours but we really enjoyed what for them were massive long runs in Folgarida compared to Puy (which we still love and talk about!). Everything felt just as friendly at Folgarida just a bit bigger. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Transfer from the airport was a bit long, but not a major problem. Last year there was very little snow but the pistes were well groomed and as I say, we had a great time again. My sons and I loved skiing from the very top of the mountain to the bottom of the gondola non-stop.

It's certainly a good 'transition' up/onward from Puy.

Enjoy . . .
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnnyh, thanks, that's good to know. Always a good testament to a place if people go back. I remember reading your posts about snowbizz previously too! Folgarida sounds perfect..
Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread, so helpful Very Happy
snow conditions
kapow, I'm sure you will all have a great time. Been there twice and I would go back again.

You can get a great feeling of travel in the area on some terrific pistes - their management of the slopes is as good as I have found. It is well worth either taking the extension for the full Madonna di Campiglio area pass or, at the very least extending by the day should you wish to go further (the latter can be done from an office on the mountain, so you can really do that on the hoof, so to speak).

If it helps (and I appreciate it is a year away Toofy Grin ) here are a couple of Trip Reports I did...

snow report
Thanks Chasseur, I read them, they were good to read. Thanks for sharing, lots of good tips there. We have definitely made the right choice Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy