Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Length

Poster: A snowHead
My mate has offered me a shot of his Skis to go to Glenshee this week, thing is he is 6 foot 4 inches tall and I am 5 foot 6 inches tall, he says the skis are 175cm in length and I stand 165cm tall, does anyone know if they are too big for me to use effectively.
thanks for any help Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
protosaurus, have you skied before?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
To elaborate, i have been skiing black runs in Austria, does this affect the length of skis you can wear?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
protosaurus wrote:
To elaborate, i have been skiing black runs in Austria, does this affect the length of skis you can wear?
they will be fine then...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's probably not what the majority of people you're height would choose length wise. If you're mate is 6'4" @ 175cm I'm assuming they're piste skis. If they're particulary stiff and you're light you may find them harder work but if a reasonable skier you'll be OK.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm 5'8" and started skiing on 180 cms, took me ages to get the hang of it, but I did, eventually. If you can ski black runs you'll be OK, IMO. Toofy Grin

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Erm, I'm 5'2" and started skiing on 180s. Not sure that counts as a helpful reply, however. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
protosaurus, what is the biggest size ski you have used?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure Layne i have always hired skis, they have went up to my nose / forehead I think
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pedantica, Hey we are the same size but I'm a little heavier I guess I started skiing 200 cm skis when I was age 9 they were my dads metal aluminum blizzards silver and blue quite tricky in the bumps,if you can ski blacks really well which I'm guessing you can I would recommend a full on race ski for powder days and when blasting the pistes the excellent blade set up would be great fun also great for the park sessions they are great to wear. Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds like they will be ok then, now just to figure out what the binding settings are all about Skullie
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
protosaurus, how heavy are you in KG's?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
About 77kg Mosha Marc
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It will also depend on the type of ski. A 175cm slalom ski will be murder, if it's a GS ski however, you might be OK. Th bandit or Legend might work as well. Your weight and you ski aggression will count as you will need to work the ski harder. Try before you buy, but if they are modern parabolics you should be skiing 155s or so.
snow conditions
I wont be buying them Volfy, just borrowing them for the day, I do think it is 155's I have been hiring in the past though.
ski holidays
You'll be fine.
snow report
protosaurus, stick the bindings on around 7 then.
latest report
Cheers Mosha Marc I think I may just do that. snowHead
ski holidays
I have the skis now, and they look really long!, longer than I anticipated, also they don't look like the carvers I learned on, this will be an experience come tomorrow! Razz
ski holidays
I have always been told that girth is more important than length.
ski holidays
What Make and Model are they?
latest report
The skis have Rossignol V5K on them.
snow conditions
Erm.

Is he a good mate?
snow conditions
Ha ha He's a workmate, they are looming over me as I speak, balanced against my wall.
ski holidays
protosaurus wrote:
The skis have Rossignol V5K on them.

Shocked Laughing
Forget about them and hire skis when you get there. Seriously.
latest report
Are they that bad Shocked
snow report
I only asked cos the pictures I can find of them on the interweb would date them at about 15+ years old, maybe 20. You might be better renting

Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I suppose it may be a laugh giving them a try for a run or two. Make sure you have a friend on hand with a camera, preferably a video camera Toofy Grin

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 18-02-13 22:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Honestly you guys, he bought them from ebay last month for twenty quid, I am scared of them to be honest, think I will hire a pair in Glenshee, might still take them with me and try a couple of runs with them to see the difference, I learned to ski on carvers so have never experienced straight skis snowHead
latest report
Ack! I edited over my previous post instead posting a new one... I shouldn't be allowed to operate the internet Embarassed
ski holidays
Crikey, just seen a pic, they're a museum piece! The only thing they're good for is hanging on the wall of a bar.
latest report
Piccadilly, I know, I can't stop laughing. The eBay seller must be laughing too.
snow conditions
Hire in Glenshee, but get there early. Some of the stuff I've witnessed handed out from the dregs of their hire stock is Shocked Laughing
latest report
Alans deep bath, surely more modern than the VK5s though?
snow report
It's been a few years but some of the kids skis make the V5Ks look like DPS Spoons.
ski holidays
Shocked
snow report
protosaurus, hahaha nice work Very Happy
latest report
Thanks for the advice on getting there early, it's a 1hr45min drive so we will be there about nine hopefully early enough to get something half decent, can't wait to buy my own skis later this year Toofy Grin
ski holidays
protosaurus wrote:
can't wait to buy my own skis later this year

For the love of god, do not – I repeat, do not – take advice from your workmate on what skis to buy wink

Good luck today and do please post the video Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy