Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First transceiver question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning all. I'm looking to buy my first transceiver and want to bug you all for that all important advice.

Firstly, I've done a fair bit of research and am aware of the basics (digital, 3 antena, simple is best, etc) but, having read advice on here (e.g. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91655) and other websites (beaconreviews, facewest, snowshepherd) I've been left a little confused.

Yes, it's my first one and I'm not an experienced user BUT I'm not going to simply turn up in resort, strap it on and head into avalanche territory. I will be reading the manual, going out into the park and practicing (buying 2, 1 for me and 1 for my girlfriend) and I will sit at home and play with some of the features to familiarise myself. I'm aware that this is no substitute for proper training and experience but you have to start somewhere.

So, the question is: some of the reviews have suggested that the Mammut Pulse is about as good as it gets but is perhaps not the best buy for a first timer due to some of its complexity. However, two of its attributes stood out to be as being beneficial, regardless of experience. Firstly, it had a greater range than most others; and secondly, the display allows for a greater range arrow positions which, to me, indicates that it's going to point you in the right direction quicker.

Essentially, is it worth buying the best if you are prepared to put a bit of time into getting familiarised with it?

On the basis that this is a piece of life-saving equipment, I'm ruling out price when making my decision.

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get the Mammut Element instead of the Pulse. It's essentially the same transceiver without the complicated bits. You won't use them. I'm a mountain professional and I do regular avalanche training sessions, etc. and I only use them every once in a blue moon.

Also, it's not going to be possible for you to train for anything but the simplest of scenarios as you won't be able to do multiple searches or bury the transceivers to a decent depth (one of the most vital training scenarios IMO). Even with the best will in the world, you aren't going to be anything beyond an entry-level user.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree about the Mammuts. I got a Pulse in the end simply because I found a crazy good deal, but the advanced features are seldom necessary, and the controls to make them work are exceedingly inconvenient! In basic mode, it is effectively the same as the Element, just a different colour.

The Ortovox S1+ is an alternative in the same price range as the Pulse, and its a very nice piece of kit. The display is perhaps a little easier to use, especially with multiple burials (not that I've actually practised with it in that situation, so I'm assuming there).

At the end of the day, any modern digital 3-antenna transceiver is going to be as useful as any other when it comes down to it. Once you've filled those basic requirements, everything else is just frills.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another one for the Mammuts Element, I've just up-graded to one of these I decided that all the extra bits on the Pulse were just whistles and bells. The Element is really easy to use.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with what's been said above. Although the Pulse and S1+ are fantastic bits of kit, most people will never use the advanced features that are included in the price. I'd quite happily trust my life to a tracker 2 or an ortovox 3+ (and you can put the money you save towards some extra avalanche education).
ski holidays
 cran
cran
i have the element, is a better colour than the pulse and cheaper... Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got the pulse....mainly because i got a great deal on it... £120 off of RRP. Is really easy to use though i'm sure others will be just as easy to use and possibly cheaper if you look around. The harness that comes with it is also pretty comfy Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all, sound advice all round. I hadn't considered the Element before which seems like a bit of an oversight.

In keeping with the sentiment you've all raised, I found the following comment from facewest very pertinent: "Do not agonise over which transceiver to get, but spend time with your friends, practise, learn how to organise a rescue properly and learn how to dig effectively."
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
doorman_tom, have a look athe the ortovox 3+ ,great bit of kit , easy to get the hang of
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just had the same dilemma, ended up getting the ortovox zoom, really simple to use, three antenna and a good price, I'm happy!
My thoughts were that really the simplest to use was the best, as in reality in the heat of the situation, even with plenty of practice (which I try to do), the last thing I would want is complicated features to confuse me.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Mammut ones look nice, I suspect most people with the Pulse only use the features found on the Element though. The BCA Tracker is idiot proof and has a good track record. Most guides I've met use these for their clients (pretty small sample size, I know maybe 3 or 4, but they all use Trackers).

Range and arrows are not as important as you think. You will be running around looking for signal regardless of the range, and when you get with 2m or so the arrows just don't work anyway, you go purely on distance reading.

But please don't think that a transceiver is the main thing you need, it really isn't. Yes, you should have one (and a probe and a shovel). Read a good book and better still go an a good course. And to be honest, get an airbag rucksack if you can.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy