Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Report - Zell am See

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Travel
Edinburgh to Munich with EasyJet - absolutely faultless both ways. No queue at check in, flights bang on time and luggage out super quick both ways. Car hire via Carhire 3000 using Avis/Budget. Got the car requested (VW Caddy 7 seater and was an excellent car and very effificient too). Thanks to help for our very own Samerberg Sue, used her directions and avoided what I would imagine would have been horrendous jams on the main route into Oesterreich.

Accommodation
Stayed at my sister and hubbie's chalet http://www.chaletzell.com/ Really is a fantastic chalet and was enough room for 9 of us without any issues regarding sleeping or bathroom etc. Stunning views over the lake and kitted out to the highest standards (underfloor heating, WIFI, British satelite tv as well as foreign, Miele equipment etc). Really nice 20 minute walk into town, either along the lakeside or by a hillside path.

The skiing

http://youtube.com/v/AZMewiqN8pQ

This is a video my 15 year old son made up (first time using his GoPro from Xmas) and sums things up nicely.

Went to Saalbach on Saturday and just loved the skiing and apres there. We had visited a couple of times 6 years ago in summer when staying in Kaprun and have always wanted to ski there. Will definitely return.

Skied Schmittenhohe on the Sunday and loved it. Really nice cruisy stuff and top and harder as you went down the hill. Snow conditions as good as I've ever skied on both days. Due to the Areitbahn queues looking horrendous on Monday we drove on to Maiskogel in Kaprun. Nice and cruisy if a little boring but great runs to get some speed up. Was very busy with ski schools given it was Fasching week. Monday back to Schmittenhohe via the Areitbahn as the Schmittenhohe car park was full. The queues at base station we horrendous and didn't really get any better up the hill. Such a shame as we had had such a fantastic day on the Sunday but clearly the ski schools had now started venturing on to the slopes and quite frankly I've never seen slopes as busy (even compared to Happy Valley run in St Anton).
View towards Kitzsteinhorn

The lifts
Mixed bag really. The Areitbahn is a 3 stage gondola which you need to come off at first stage. Huge queue to get on first stage and equally as bad to get on 2nd stage. Our timing was bad with being there at school holidays but the queues were the worst I've experienced.

The Apres
Usually my forte but as I was driving most days, I couldn't do the place justice. Went to Crazy Daisy's for dinner a couple of times and really liked it. The Insider bar was jumping the night we went to it and looked to be in full swing on Shrove Tuesday.

Other activities
I suppose this is where Zell really scores highly. Usued the swimming pool one night - excellent. Also went to the Tauern Spa in Kaprun on our last day - what a place. Amazing outdoor pools and wellness facilities. Also really nice food too. The toboggan run in Kaprun was great fun too and here's a wee video my eldest took of it.

http://youtube.com/v/r71JJHVMAec

Summary
Great holiday and great skiing to be had. Would be very wary of going during Fasching though, as the lifts and slopes cannot cope with the crowds. Would definitely return

[/b]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like a great trip, only been twice in the last 20 years but will go back again.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boabski, I believe the first part of the Arietbahn had a major mechanical problem recently. It was certainly out of action for about 3 days a couple of weeks ago. They may have been still worrying about it as a big part had to be replaced. With the volume of traffic due over this past couple of weeks they may have chosen to go slowly to be sure that it does not breakdown again.

I had friends there last week - 2nd to 8th. They seemed very happy with their week but they were based in the Tirolerhof on the lakeshore. Rather swish to say the least! wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue, that explains the queues then
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boabski, Samerberg Sue, Yep 2nd to 8th was fine. A wee bit busier than ideal but thats just from the perspective of one who normally only skis in January. The Areitbahn is a problem and was a topic of conversation around town that week. the consensus seems to be it is now 26 years old and needs replaced or majorly refitted but all the cash is being hoarded for a planned expansion (depending upon what they an get approved)

As Sue knows I've said for a while now Zell am See probably has too many beds for the skiing area to cope with at the busy periods. I also noticed a huge number of foot passengers up the mountain compared to previous years, I can only think that this is due to the general amenity of Zell making popular for non-sliding winter holidays? There were certainly several older, non skiing customers, in the T whereas I only remember the odd one or two on previous trips, maybe there is a change in the dynamic happening? The only strange sight was a noticeable number of the burka brigade, normally only seen in summer, hilarious to behold due to their complete lack of comprehension of how to dress appropriately!

The problem is exacerbated by the fact that by far the largest number of skiers access the mountain at Schuttdorf due to the extensive car parking compared to Zell town or up the valley.

Yes they could replace the Areitbahn with an 8 man gondola as opposed to the current 6 man (whom tbh would ideally be quite slim and already well acquainted) but there's no real solution for Zell other than to get the Piesendorf extension approved somehow and dilute the uplift requirements from the Schuttdorf side of the mountain?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
robboj, couldn't agree more with your comments. As a regular visitor to St Anton I could not believe how bad the queues were in Zell. St Anton has the same number of lifts leaving town (3 gondolas and a chair) and I very rarely have to queue more than a few minutes to get up the slopes. Maybe they should restrict the ticket sales in the same way that Lech does in the meantime???
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had exactly the same experience last year with Zell. The queues put me off ever going back. Going to saalbach in a weeks time and really hoping for a quiet week on piste.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boabski,

I have seen you mention alternative route from Munich, wondering could you share please as we had a horrendous journey this year on the main route.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
2waterford, if you pm me I can email you samerberg sue's options.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boabski, oi, they is my secret routes only to be shared with a select few - don't want them filling up with the hoi-polloi now do we! wink Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy