Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any advice on this, I've lost touch with driving to France, I do the German run 2x a year to St Anton but thinking about Chamonix for a next season week.

My thoughts are that its about 125€ each way to do the Calais - Cham road tolls which is clearly a lash, does anyone do the Luxembourg - Strasbourg - Geneva - Cham run, thus avoiding French tolls? I think the CH vignette is 33 Swissies for a year, ie £20 which is a tad more palletable than 250€. I know its likely 2 hours longer and probably £50 more on fuel but could split the trip to take in Engelberg or Verbier so this may work if the roads and logistics are do-able.

Would appreciate feedback.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Markymark29, the tolls are less than that - less than €80 each way I think (viamichelin is playing silly boogers and told me it was €27 each way which is patent nonsense). Swiss vignette is 40 francs I think (though you could do without it).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and if you drive across the Jura to Geneva you save on fuel and tolls and it only adds about 30 minutes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't comment on the whole route, but the swiss vignette is 40 chf, so a touch more expensive. It might go up to 100chf in 2015 so get your skates on

You could drive over to chamonix after stopping at Verbier via the col de la forclaz.....it's usually open but can close in bad weather
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Markymark29, Coming back via the Jura cost me €55 in tolls last Sunday (€28 Dole - Reims, €22 Reims - Calais).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, please forgive my ignorance re the Jura pam w, but from where/ to where is that (town names etc)?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitters
Wh do you say that the Swiss vignette may go up to 100 chf in 2014? We buy one each year for the odd trip down to the airport but at 100 chf we might do the drive through Geneva.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

You could drive over to chamonix after stopping at Verbier via the col de la forclaz.....it's usually open but can close in bad weather

Is that the pass where you drive through the rail tunnel if the pass is closed?

Markymark29, I think going via Luxembourg and Strasbourg will take much more than 2 hours longer than the French autoroutes. The tolls are likely to be in the order of 75 euro each way, so if your vehicle will consume £50 more fuel and the Swiss road tax 40 CHF then you might end up saving a couple quid for all your pains. Personally I wouldn't bother I would use the autoroute. Life is too short.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29, Follow Autoroute signs to Besancon
Turn off there, and immediatly pick up signs to Pontarlier
At Pont' you will pick up signs to Lausanne
Enter Switzerland...on to the main Lakeside Mortorway and clear signs to Geneva.

Would probably be quicker at that point to not go via Geneva, but away from it and follow signs to Grande St Bernard pass, and at Martigny turn off for the up & over to Chamonix via Col de Forclaz.

That road is kept open in all but extreme (recent) snowfalls...they open it asap.

It is a lovely road in daylight...very pretty.
A fast one too. Mostly dual carriageway.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rungsp, I don't know that route, but it's quite a bit longer - according to viamichelin from Dijon to Chamonix via Pontarlier and Martigny is 5h 28m (228 miles) and via Poligny and Geneva it's 3h 55m (152 miles). Martigny makes it a long detour.

The quickest route is all motorway, via A39 and A40 (Bourg en Bresse - Geneva). But that's more expensive in fuel and tolls.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
See my post about fuel near Calais. Just back this evening from near Bourg St Maurice. Went out to Switzerland via Belgium and Luxembourg with virtually no tolls - had to buy Swiss vignett for 40 swiss francs. Came back via Bourg en Bresse and French motorways. Had to pay almost 60 euros in tolls but going the other way back would be at least 2 hours more so would take extra fuel. Look at the Michelin website to compare various routes for fuel and tolls.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know this is a bit late but if anyone comes across this thread in the future I made a driving video of the route through Geneva city centre avoiding Swiss motorways. It starts in the French sector of Geneva airport and finishes as you join the French autoroute at Annemasse. See it on my Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/BiarritzAirportTransfers
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy